Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Electronics protection

Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM
cswtornado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics protection

Yesterday I was bashing my Tornado S30 in a ditch next to my house and it bumped into the curb (not too hard). Directly after that, the electronics ceased to function, and the thing was nailed at full power. I was forced to watch helplessly as my buggy recovered from the shock and bounced onto the street, throttle gunned. The next thing I knew, it had shifted and smashed, full speed, into a stone wall. It flipped over and revved so fast it shredded my tires before I could get at the flywheel with a stick. Damn, another $50 in repairs.

My batteries are duct-taped in, and when I switched the car off and on again the electronics were fine. I suppose I could just buy a throttle return spring (and I will), but I would prefer that this issue be fixed. What part of the electronics do I have to protect with foam to keep this from happnening again? Is it the switch getting knocked back to off? Any help here?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
cswtornado

Default RE: Electronics protection

UPDATE:
I thought it might be the switch soooo....
I cut some wires, relocated the battery plugs to the outside, and bypassed the switch. I took it out (everything seemed normal), ran it a bit, but when I went off a 1.5 foot jump the electronics died again. I checked my juryrigged plugs (they were still in and working) So I plugged and unplugged them a couple times. Nothing happened. I tapped the electronics box kind of hard, and lo-and-behold, working again. Is it the receiver or the batterys? And what can I do to stop this from happening again?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
cswtornado

ummmmmm... hello? :0
I'm just gonna stuff my receiver box full of foam and put on a failsafe. Problem solved.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Redcat-Derek

cswtornado,

It could be the receiver or the battery holder, when jarred does the electronics completely shut off with no power?

Thanks,
Derek
RedcatRacing
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
cswtornado

It seems like it, but I don't know, how do you tell?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Redcat-Derek

cswtornado,

If the power was cut off then nothing would work on the vehicle and you could turn the servos by hand, meaning the on/off switch could broke or you lost a connection. But if you still had power the servo/s would work or at least be holding in one position, meaning you probably lost signal.

Thanks,
Derek
RedcatRacing
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM
cswtornado

Ok, then I completely lost power.
I replaced the batteries just a few days ago, bypassed the switch, the stuff is all fine UNTIL it gets jolted. Would a fail safe work for this problem? I just ordered one plus a new receiver.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Redcat-Derek

cswtornado,

Well if you are losing power completely them it's most likely going to be a bad connection somewhere causing the receiver to get no power. I would even get another battery holder and make sure that isn't defective. if the receiver has no power a failsafe will not work, because the failsafe needs power to turn the servo. But you could use the failsafe along with a throttle return spring so when you lose signal, the failsafe will kick on. But if you loose power the return spring will pull the carb closed.

Thanks,
Derek
RedcatRacing
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
cswtornado

How do I set a a throttle return spring with my Tornado BB? I tried to install one a while back and I can't seem to get it to work right
Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the rubber band around the carb linkage trick..
Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
cswtornado

Its a rotary carb, not slide
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Redcat-Derek

cswtornado,

You could try connecting one end of the spring to the throttle linkage, and the other end to like the shock tower. Something like that should work.

Thanks,
Derek
RedcatRacing