Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Need some help. Tornado s30

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 PM
buggy dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help. Tornado s30

Hey guys! I've driven some of my cousin's and one of my friend's nitro trucks. So I'm interested in getting into RC nitro buggies/trucks. I have selected the buggy I want to get, since I have a small buget. A tornado s30. But I have a few questions since I'm totally new to this hobby. First off is with the tornado, how do you upgrade the sh .18 to a sh .28? If you buy a complete motor, will you need adapters/ect? Second, how do you tune in the motors? I know that there is some throttle adjustment on the carb and some other thing. What other than extra glow plugs, nitro, and a starter kit will I need? Can I use the wheels off the redcat volcano on the tornado? ( I live on a 10 acre field, so that's where I'd be driving it, in the grass/gravle/pavement) How best do I break in the car/ tune every thing? What spare parts should I get? I'm sure I'll think of some more questions later+when I get my buggy. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM
cswtornado

Default RE: Need some help. Tornado s30

I have the Tornado BB (which is a powered down older version of the s30) and I love it. There are a few things that you might as well buy in bulk along with the car thogh. I will list those later.

how do you upgrade the sh .18 to a sh .28?
...You can't. The .18 is plenty big enough, and the .28 is HUMOUNGUOS. No chance of it fitting

Second, how do you tune in the motors?
Thats a bit harder to answer. There is no exact formula for tuning, but you want the car to run between 200 and 290 degrees farenheight (to avoid damage) As long as the motor stays within those tolerances, and is not too lean, you can tune for performance as much as you'd like. If you had no idea about what i just said watch this video (actually, watch it anyway)

What other than extra glow plugs, nitro, and a starter kit will I need?
Extra dogbones(3 packs), wheel hubs(1 pack), Fail Safe (just one. It seems expensive but it pays for itself later on), 47 tooth gear (get 5 or 6), 2nd gear spur gear (just one),Temp Sensor (just one)

You cannot use the Volcano's wheels without a decrease in performance, because that will dramatically change the gear ratio, and the stock tires work well on gravel, dirt, and pavement.

Watch this video on break in tips.

Whew....All done!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM
buggy dude

Thanks alot!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
cswtornado

You should be thankful! I must have spent $70 in shipping ordering all of those parts on-demand!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
cswtornado

You should be thankful! I must have spent $70 in shipping ordering all of those parts on-demand! Also, buy parts and the tornado at urchobby, the parts are a lot cheaper then the redcat site and they come faster cuz of 2 or 3 day shipping

Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM
buggy dude

I looked up your parts links and wrote down theall parts and part nubers, and prices. one more question about parts. I'll be ordering from rc tradingpost, and their dog bones are 84mm. but the ones at urchobby are 87mm. Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the 87mm bones, they will not pop out like the 84's. Kurt at URCHobby will hook you up, trust us.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM
cswtornado

Order from URChobby, their prices are really good and the shipping is a lot faster than Redcat or RC tradingpost.
Use the 87mm bones, they will not pop out like the 84's. Kurt at URCHobby will hook you up, trust us.
Plus Kurt is really helpful
Old 08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
buggy dude

Ok! Thanks guys!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
buggy dude

WOW!!!!!!!!! Ok, I think I'll order from urchobby. Glowplugs at rctradingpost are $1.51 more than at urchobby. Thanks yet again!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM
cswtornado

What temperature glow plug are you getting? You need to get the right temperature for it to run well.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 PM
buggy dude

I figured Medium. What temp do you recommend?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Mickstix

Medium should be fine for the SH .18  Kurt will steer ya in the right direction!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
buggy dude

Thanks!