Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado BBS30 trouble with Dogbones

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado BBS30 trouble with Dogbones

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Raptorman670
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado BBS30 trouble with Dogbones

Hi my son bought a Tornado BBS30 and everytime he runs it he breaks a transmission dogbone. I emailed Redcat Racing an they said they do not make a heavier dogbone. Does anyone know who else makes a dogbone that is 61mm long?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
cswtornado

Default RE: Tornado BBS30 trouble with Dogbones

This would not happen if everything wus working right. How does it break? Going off jumps? Just running it? I've had mine for 2 years, I've broken everything BUT the transmission dogbone
Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Raptorman670

No he just runs it round the yard or on the dirt parking lot by our house. The only parts that have broken are the dogbones in the front and the rear dogbones that go from the transmission to the rear end. We bought the the two pack of each set. The front only broke once so we have a extra one left but the transmission ones both have broke. It is a shame because the buggy runs great it can keep up to my Revo. I emailed Red Cat Racing and they said they have a one piece one for the wheels to the rearend but nothing different for the transmission to the rearend. I didn't know if someone else makes ones the same length. I will have to do some researching. If nothing else I will have to buy more Red Cat ones and take them to work and put our gold coating them then they should be super strong. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 PM
rokit_armor

gold coating?

I'm a cable guy and you sound like the "tech savvy" customer that thinks rat shack cable splitters are better because they are gold plated.

Just made me smile a bit.

You could probably cryogenically treat them.

Exactly how are they breaking? Could try a thinner diff/trans fluid to decrease sudden torque impacts on them.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Raptorman670

I am a machinist and I make end mills, mill cutters(they are like drill bits)we put some special coatings on them to make them last longer, stronger,and wear less. The dogbones seem to break the ball off on one end.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's where they all break. redcat did make some universals I don't know if they still do. I have some in my Vortex EPX Pro and haveno trouble with them.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Mickstix

I dont think you'll be able to find any other manuf's dogbones that fit.. Seems they all make them just a hair different, so they cant be used in other cars.. The ball will be too big, or the pin, or the length, etc.. It's always something that dont fit.. But,I've onlybroken one on my Tornado S30 (rear-center) but that was after alot of tanks of fuel.. (But it did break where you said, right at the ball) But here's the thing.. On mine, I noticed the drive cup was damaged.. Where the "ears" (pin)on the ball of thedogbone ride in the cup, it makes a little groove on each side.. Which is fairly common and normal, I believe.. But what I noticed on mine was, one side of the cup had a deeper groove than the other, and I think it let the bone twist more, before it grabbed.. Check that on your sons.. It may be why he's breaking them so fast.. If that's not it, like someone else posted, it could be a restriction somewhere, on the end of the chassis that's breaking them.. Maybe a diff is too tight, or bearing is dirty causing resistance? Something must be up though, cause they shouldnt break that often.. Good luck tracking down the culprit!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Raptorman670

Hi thanks for the reply you are dead on. I think it is also from the drive cup his does leave a little ring around only on the front of the dogbone where they end up breaking. My sons is also the one from the trans to the rear. I think I will try and buy a new front and rear cup and some more dogbones and try that. I contacted Red Cat and they still do make the universals( cvd joints )but only for the wheels to the rear. That part number is 166015.