Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Rampage MT breakin issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:25 AM
belexus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rampage MT breakin issues

Just got my rampage mt and started to do the breakin last night. Things were going fine until the truck just stopped like the brakes were locked. Checked it out the the failsafe hadn't engage the brakes by mistake, though the lever was very stiff to move. I let it sit for a few minutes and it started and ran with no problems again. It went about another 15-20 minutes and the same thing, except that this time there is some smoke coming from the clutch area. I am pretty new to RC and this is my first gas powered RC, so I hope that someone can shed some light on this problem, before I start taking things apart this weekend.

I should descride what happens. I was driving an 8 pattern on the road when coming out of a corner the truck started slowing despite that I was calling for more throttle. It came to a stop, I could hear the engine reving as I gave it throttle, it would try to lurch forward but would not move.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Rampage MT breakin issues

Look at the CVD's where they meet the axles and make sure a pin did not come out and bind up on one of the hubs. If that is fine take the clear plastic side cover off that covers the side gears and make sure the forward most gear shaft did not come loose. Some times a set screw will loosen up and it will make it bind.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
belexus

I checked the gears and they are not loose. At least they don't seem to be binding at all. I think that the brakes are grabbing, the lever has a lot of play with the truck just sitting there, but when it locked up the lever would hardly move at all. Is there any adjustments on the brakes? I have thought about disabling the brakes and try again, but then there is no failsafe.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
rob64n

some have had the two set screws that adjust the brake pads actually turn in so what you can do is take them out and put the next size bigger in them
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: belexus

Just got my rampage mt and started to do the breakin last night. Things were going fine until the truck just stopped like the brakes were locked. Checked it out the the failsafe hadn't engage the brakes by mistake, though the lever was very stiff to move. I let it sit for a few minutes and it started and ran with no problems again. It went about another 15-20 minutes and the same thing, except that this time there is some smoke coming from the clutch area. I am pretty new to RC and this is my first gas powered RC, so I hope that someone can shed some light on this problem, before I start taking things apart this weekend.

I should descride what happens. I was driving an 8 pattern on the road when coming out of a corner the truck started slowing despite that I was calling for more throttle. It came to a stop, I could hear the engine reving as I gave it throttle, it would try to lurch forward but would not move.
It would help to know your experience with the hobby to help give the right advice. It sounds like the brake was dragging and you may have overheated the clutch which may have melted some plastic bits...