RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Priming Engine - "Blocking Exhaust Method" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10095503-priming-engine-%22blocking-exhaust-method%22.html)

redcat rc 10-26-2010 12:44 PM

Priming Engine - "Blocking Exhaust Method"

Hello everyone,

I new here and just purchased a brand new Redcat Earthquake 3.5 monster truck. I've been running them since I was little, and just got back into the hobby. The truck is a real beast, it definately the most powerful nitroI've ever owned!

I have a question about blocking the exhaust port to pull the nitro into the carb line. On other nitros I've had,this method works well, but not on the Redcat. I've just been priming through the glow plug hole, pulling the pull starter a few times to circulate, then trying to start the engine. This pulls fuel into the carb line, but not all the way. A second attempt gets fuel into the carb and it will stay running. My question is why does the "exhaust blocking method" not work on the Redcat? This is the first model I've had with a bigger engine and "tuned exhaust". Suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

rchobbyunlimited 10-26-2010 12:51 PM

RE: Priming Engine -

That method works on the redcats as well thats how I used to prime all the redcat engines untill I started using fuel fiters with primer pumps on them. check to make sure that the muffler is on tight and that the silcone coupling is tight on both ends. But yes it should suck up the fuel very well with this method.

Torch39 10-26-2010 12:54 PM

Iam going to order one of those primer ball things. Saw the importance of them last night. Try priming a hot engine!!!. It a bit hard when the exhaust wants to burn u LOL.

redcat rc 10-26-2010 12:59 PM

I am using an inline fuel filter, but it does not have a priming mechanism. The filter is brand new, so I doubt any debris is blocking the flow. I will check the exhaust coupling. I haven't taken the exhaust off to inspect the seals since the truck is new. I assume it just the vaccuum of the engine that pulls the fuel into the line when blocking the exhaust. Maybe I do have a slight leak in the exhaust somewhere.

kelynsdad1023 10-26-2010 01:25 PM

if you don't have a primer bulb the easiest way to prime your engine is pull the back pressure line from the exhaust and blow through it. That is alot eaise than blocking the exhaust method .

rchobbyunlimited 10-26-2010 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

if you don't have a primer bulb the easiest way to prime your engine is pull the back pressure line from the exhaust and blow through it. That is alot eaise than blocking the exhaust method .
yea that would especially be easier if you like the taste of nitro. lol

Torch39 10-26-2010 01:42 PM

Yea something about blowing on a gas line does not sit well with me lol.. Isaid screw it. for 12.99 Iordered a gas filter with primer ball from URC.

http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=c22616blue LInk to the prodcut Iordered.

redcat rc 10-26-2010 01:45 PM

Nothing like some nitro to wake you up in the morning haha! I did read about this alternative. It seems okay, except for the possibility of getting nitro in your mouth. I just don't see why the exhaust method isn't working for me.

rchobbyunlimited 10-26-2010 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Torch39

Yea something about blowing on a gas line does not sit well with me lol.. I said screw it. for 12.99 I ordered a gas filter with primer ball from URC.

http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=c22616blue LInk to the prodcut I ordered.
great idea. I was hoping though that maybe you could tel us wqhat the nitor taste like lol and also can you tell the oil content by taste. lol

redcat rc 10-26-2010 02:05 PM

Is that filter serviceable? Like you can clean the screen out?

rchobbyunlimited 10-26-2010 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: redcat rc

Is that filter serviceable? Like you can clean the screen out?
yes you can the primer is rubber.

Torch39 10-26-2010 02:29 PM

Hmmm good queston.. Ihave no idea. I would think it has to be becuase if it got cloged it would be done. It should arrive at my house probbaly friday or so. As soon as it gets here I will let you know for sure.

kelynsdad1023 10-26-2010 07:49 PM

have yet to get nitro in my mouth and this is the only way I've primed my engine.

rchobbyunlimited 10-27-2010 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Torch39

Hmmm good queston.. Ihave no idea. I would think it has to be becuase if it got cloged it would be done. It should arrive at my house probbaly friday or so. As soon as it gets here I will let you know for sure.
You will be able to get to the screen no problem the black prime part is rubber it will slide off the blue part with a stong pull thus exposing and allowing you to cleen the screen.

redcat rc 10-27-2010 02:31 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I might have to go the filter/primer route...

I checked on my exhaust connections. The silicon couplers are there and seems like it's making a good seal. All the springs are attached, around the engine and from the downpipe to exhaust. I also checked on the nitro tank, seems like it has a great seal as well. What gives??</p>

Mauge135 11-01-2010 10:46 AM

I had the same problem with mine when I first got it, there didn't seem to be enough compression in my engine to run the fuel through the fuel lines, took it to the service guy in my town and he looked at it and took my carburetor off. I'm not sure on exactly what he done but i Know he adjusted my carburetor in some way. Just figured i'd throw it out there since that's what I had to do with mine and now everytime I try to prime it, it works first shot.

redcat rc 11-01-2010 10:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder what he adjusted on the carburetor? I have the high speed and idle screwspretty much dialed in. Maybethe low speed needleneeds adjusted, thats the only adjustment I haven't tuned yet. It seems to accelerate off the line just fine. Maybe it's running just a bit lean and won't pull the fuel in.

Mickstix 11-06-2010 01:29 AM

Yea, if you have either needle set too lean it can keep it from priming easily.. You can usually tell this by doing the blow method.. If it feels like it's clogged, you've probably got the hs or ls needle a littletoo lean.. But that said, <font size="4">I'd not start tuning on the needles due to priming alone</font>.. If it runs good, and a temp gun shows it's not too hot, I'd leave it alone and just keep priming it the way you have been.. These things can be huge headaches when there not tuned properly.. And it doesnt take much (sometimes) to throw the tune all out of whack... Good luck!
Note: The primer "bulbs" are the best, imo.. ;)

jrwizbang 12-18-2010 03:53 AM

blowing in the pressure line works very well with very little effort. there is no danger of getting nitro in your mouth since fuel should not be in that line in the first place.

kelynsdad1023 12-18-2010 07:14 AM

just to add external fuel filters are infamous for air leaks which will cause your engine to run lean. I'm not saying don't use them but just be aware of that and that your lines have a tight connection to the filter.

rchobbyunlimited 12-18-2010 04:01 PM

Yes this is truediffidentlyuse a fuel filter then I put zip ties on both ends of the fuel filter to make sure its an air tight fit .

redcat rc 12-19-2010 12:10 PM

I picked upthe Dubro fuel filter kitthatcame with four small hose clamps. I think I'm going to order the filter/primer combo, just to eliminate the hassle of dealing with a hot exhaust or pulling the exhaust line and blowing in it . Too bad it's snowy and cold here, I'd like to run it lol! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif