RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   *Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10119192-%2Aofficial%2A-caldera-10e-video-picture-discussion-thread.html)

kchobbies 03-28-2012 03:59 PM

RE: *Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

ORIGINAL: Bluetheron

Is there a center diff mod or option avalible for this? I'm nearly certain that I'm going to pick one up in the next month or so but I'd like to know whats availible for it.
their is alot of different options for parts on these trucks just have to ask a dealer they have access to hundreds of parts for them PM me if be interested in some prices and parts
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosteve22 03-29-2012 05:43 AM

I hate to ask but could someone refresh my memory as to what the factory LSN settings are on the sh.18 in the Caldera? Thanks.... Also what would be some good first upgrades? (Got new servo's just wondering what mods others are doing and such)...

kchobbies 03-29-2012 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrosteve22

I hate to ask but could someone refresh my memory as to what the factory LSN settings are on the sh.18 in the Caldera? Thanks.... Also what would be some good first upgrades? (Got new servo's just wondering what mods others are doing and such)...
The high speed setting is 2-1/2 turns out from closed and as far as low speed use a pinch test to find out correct fuel mixture basically pinch the fuel line at ideal and listen for how the idle either speeds up or down, if it speeds up for about 2 to 3 secs and then slows down it is set correctly, if it just looses RPM's rapidly then its too lean and have to adjust the screw counter clockwise which richens it and then try the test again and adjust accordingly

and as fars as mods go i could stand corrected here but redcat does have lifetime warranties on motors you could always trade your in and get half price on a new bigger motor for it (which i could find out about if interested just pm me) but other than that can go to a steel spur gear, billet chassis components including 1 piece cnc motor mount and also cool heads for the sh .18
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosteve22 04-01-2012 08:01 PM

Well,Nephews came over and we gave the Caldera 3.0 about 7 tanks non stop and had a blast! Hit lots of curb..... Slow it'd hit the curb and spin,with speed it would pop up,climb and go (not sayin hit curbs with your Caldera). Nothing went wrong. This truck is Fast! Thinking new tires though...

Edit: Has anyone tried the special brake rotor/pads???
Thanks

kchobbies 04-02-2012 12:38 PM

well congrats on the fun times with family glad you liked the truck and have put a set on few different cars they work all right just depends on where driving the car at as far as stop power and what not...

kashjeff 04-08-2012 12:04 AM

I need some help...is anybody still watching this thread???
I just got my first rc last week. caldera 10e. Read Alot of forums and did all my homework before buying. KNEW i would break something(regardless of brand name).

I took it easy on the first charge just to see what this thing is all about. I like it. second charge, full throttle, no holding back. speed, jump, crash, flip, repeat. had a blast. uh oh, steering problems, grinding and crunching sounds. it was worth it.

I have the steering servo laying on the desk next to me, and have been looking all over the web. i found one stock replacment on ebay for $20 but i can't tell if it's used or what. the stock one is discontinued and the redcat replacement doesn't look the same.

Hoping all you guys will chime in and tell me where you got your last servo. please be specific. website, part number/name/manufacturer/price. I'm thinking about upgrading to metal gears or high torqe or both so I've found a bunch of after market servos on ebay and amazon but most don't list demensions. I want a direct fit bolt on. My nearest hobby shop is 10 or 15 miles away but i dont think they carry redcat parts, is the the kind of thing that all shops have stocked? maybe a different brand name but the same size and shape.?

Any input is appreciated. More questions to follow.
thanks
Jeff

billymare 04-08-2012 03:23 AM

Contact Kurt at URCHobby.com He has all kinds of great replacement servos for the Caldera...

PetRock 04-08-2012 04:42 AM

Hi Jeff,

ORIGINAL: kashjeff
I have the steering servo laying on the desk next to me, and have been looking all over the web. i found one stock replacment on ebay for $20 but i can't tell if it's used or what. the stock one is discontinued and the redcat replacement doesn't look the same.
First, contact Redcat: servo problems sound common enough they may fix it under warranty (although it sounds like you damaged it yourself - perhaps the servo was weak in the first place). I told them about the centering problem with my stock 3kg servo, and they mailed a new 6kg to me.

I'm thinking about upgrading to metal gears or high torqe or both so I've found a bunch of after market servos on ebay and amazon but most don't list demensions. I want a direct fit bolt on.
The Redcat servo is the same dimestions as any other servo on a 1/10th-scale (or 1/8th scale) RC. A popular option has been an EXI D226F (stronger) or D227F (faster) from HobbyPartz, with a metal servo horn like this Integy.

KC Hobbies 04-08-2012 06:31 AM

I can get hi tecs for you either digital metal etc... Let me know prob a lot cheaper than any of these other guys

I need some help...is anybody still watching this thread???
I just got my first rc last week. caldera 10e. Read Alot of forums and did all my homework before buying. KNEW i would break something(regardless of brand name).

I took it easy on the first charge just to see what this thing is all about. I like it. second charge, full throttle, no holding back. speed, jump, crash, flip, repeat. had a blast. uh oh, steering problems, grinding and crunching sounds. it was worth it.

Hoping all you guys will chime in and tell me where you got your last servo. please be specific. website, part number/name/manufacturer/price. I'm thinking about upgrading to metal gears or high torqe or both so I've found a bunch of after market servos on ebay and amazon but most don't list demensions. I want a direct fit bolt on. My nearest hobby shop is 10 or 15 miles away but i dont think they carry redcat parts, is the the kind of thing that all shops have stocked? maybe a different brand name but the same size and shape.?

Any input is appreciated. More questions to follow.
thanks
Jeff

Dads like rc too 04-08-2012 10:21 AM

Try one of these <div>
</div><div>http://www.ebay.com/itm/330587247180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;_trksid= p3984.m1423.l2649</div><div>
</div><div>It will bolt right in and be much stronger than what you had.  Also, loosen up on your servo saver adjustment knob a little.</div>

nitrosteve22 04-08-2012 10:22 PM

Not sure about electric but I run a Futaba S3010 in my nitro Caldera and it does great. Even the standard High tech carbanite gear servo's work for steering 3 for cheap @ tower.

kashjeff 04-08-2012 10:29 PM

Thanks alot for all the input folks. you guys have cleared up a few things and answered a couple questions i hadn't asked yet. big thanks to petrock, i'm pretty sure i'll be ordering that D227F that you mentioned, I've found other comparable servos with prices starting at double and triple what that one goes for. I also like the idea of upgrading to a metal horn and was wondering if it's possible to change all steering linkage to metal.
I thought about contacting redcat but read the warranty page first, yep there's no doubt that I was at fault with this one, I pulled the servo apart today and found the gears were completely mangled, missing a bunch of teeth and the middle one was actually busted. I don't have a servo saver, should i get one even with a metal gear servo?

On to my next question. Batteries. I decided before I bought this that I'd need another battery to double my run time. LIPO is the obvious choice. I'm still foggy on whether I can charge a Lipo battery with the charger that came in the box. (One site sells a lipo with the same connector). Is there a site that sells a battery and charger combo for a decent price? There is chatter all over the web about these things. Some say that anything over 7.4 volts will fry the ESC. Others say the car will handle anything up to 11.1v What is safe? What do you guys run? The two ratings I've seen most commonly are voltage and mah. Higher numbers increase speed or runtime or both?

Any and all Info/ideas/opinions are helpful.
More (endless) questions to follow.
Thanks.
Jeff

kchobbies 04-08-2012 10:51 PM

We run maxamps in all of our electric redcats and the stock esc can handle up to 12v 2s Lipo regardless of mah rating being that is your battery reserve in essence meaning the higher mah the longer you can run it that is if don't overheat your motor and esc and as long as your stock charger is Lipo you can't charge a Lipo with a nimh charger but even then without a balance and rapid charger take you all day to charge a battery currently running a twister xtg on a 6500mah 3s 11.1v Lipo on it the thing is with voltage that high your gonna want metal gears I guarantee won't drive far without upgrading we sell Lipo kits with charger from any price from 100 and up and can even custom make batteries to your spec and dimensions PM me if like a price and FYI redcat sells upgraded Argos for cheap called highfly's just gotta ask people sometimes

Thanks alot for all the input folks. you guys have cleared up a few things and answered a couple questions i hadn't asked yet. big thanks to petrock, i'm pretty sure i'll be ordering that D227F that you mentioned, I've found other comparable servos with prices starting at double and triple what that one goes for. I also like the idea of upgrading to a metal horn and was wondering if it's possible to change all steering linkage to metal.
I thought about contacting redcat but read the warranty page first, yep there's no doubt that I was at fault with this one, I pulled the servo apart today and found the gears were completely mangled, missing a bunch of teeth and the middle one was actually busted. I don't have a servo saver, should i get one even with a metal gear servo?

On to my next question. Batteries. I decided before I bought this that I'd need another battery to double my run time. LIPO is the obvious choice. I'm still foggy on whether I can charge a Lipo battery with the charger that came in the box. (One site sells a lipo with the same connector). Is there a site that sells a battery and charger combo for a decent price? There is chatter all over the web about these things. Some say that anything over 7.4 volts will fry the ESC. Others say the car will handle anything up to 11.1v What is safe? What do you guys run? The two ratings I've seen most commonly are voltage and mah. Higher numbers increase speed or runtime or both?

Any and all Info/ideas/opinions are helpful.
Thanks.
Jeff

PetRock 04-09-2012 04:10 AM

Hi Jeff,

There are lots of battery options: I've had a great success with the Turningy Nano Tech line, soft-packs. You probably don't want a hard-case lipo because it won't fit sideways in the Caldera tray. If you want to stay on 2s these are a good deal , and if you'd like to try 3s I know these work and will fit (Iown two). Both those links are from the USHobbyKing warehouse, so shipping should be cheap and fast.

https://www.mikekirk.org/images/radi..._U2_06_800.png

(in that pic the battery on the table is the same as the one in the battery tray: but the Caldera is on a stand the table battery looks small)

For chargers... I don't really have a preference: I would spend 10 minutes reading the chargers people discuss on this URCforum. Almost all of them are available from HobbyParts or HobbyKing.

xxturbowesxx 04-09-2012 06:32 AM

I am pretty set on trying one of these but had a few questions and thoughts.

I scoured the internet for research on the Caldera(not much iout there)

Seems if you loctite all the screws with ca glue its almost indestructible.

Can handle 3s if you rewire the fan but really heard from anyone how it performs on 3s.

Anyone here broken one or had any problems other than the servo?

kchobbies 04-09-2012 07:42 AM

You can run hard packs if know what size your getting the problem is your talking 2 and 3 cells which are bigger in general soft packs puncher easier that's why roar packs are usually hard definitely do your shopping on this your battery is your bloodline and for a 32 dollar price your gonna get a 32 dollar battery this is why hobby shops don't sell these kinda batteries and FYI I would convert banana plugs to deans connectors the things people don't understand is redcats are interchangeable with most US manufactures products like HPI but more Chinese made stuff you put on them can
Make a good car into a lemon

ORIGINAL: PetRock

Hi Jeff,

There are lots of battery options: I've had a great success with the Turningy Nano Tech line, soft-packs. You probably don't want a hard-case lipo because it won't fit sideways in the Caldera tray. If you want to stay on 2s these are a good deal , and if you'd like to try 3s I know these work and will fit (Iown two). Both those links are from the USHobbyKing warehouse, so shipping should be cheap and fast.

https://www.mikekirk.org/images/radi..._U2_06_800.png

(in that pic the battery on the table is the same as the one in the battery tray: but the Caldera is on a stand the table battery looks small)

For chargers... I don't really have a preference: I would spend 10 minutes reading the chargers people discuss on this URCforum. Almost all of them are available from HobbyParts or HobbyKing.

kchobbies 04-09-2012 07:50 AM

They can run a 3s without re wiring the fan makes no sense... 3s depending on voltage doubles your power output which kills plastic internals as well as will melt your motors down hence why people run diff fans on their cars and even heat sinks and coolers on the motors actually have a liquid cooling set up on one of our shops cars

ORIGINAL: xxturbowesxx

Can handle 3s if you rewire the fan but really heard from anyone how it performs on 3s.

PetRock 04-09-2012 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: kchobbies
You can run hard packs if know what size your getting the problem is your talking 2 and 3 cells which are bigger in general soft packs puncher easier that's why roar packs are usually hard
Most ROAR packs (and hard packs in general) won't fit in the Caldera, because the battery is mounted sideways. Common hard-case batteries have holes for bullet connectors on top: it would be very difficult to use them without cutting the chassis or soldering 90-degree bullets. But if the hard-pack has wires out the top or side you'd be OK.

Definitely do your shopping on this your battery is your bloodline and for a 32 dollar price your gonna get a 32 dollar battery this is why hobby shops don't sell these kinda batteries
Iagree it's easy to pay way more than $32 for a $32 battery... but you're still probably getting a battery worth $32. The Turnigy Nano Tech batteries Ilinked are the cheapest in almost every review, yet always come out near the top (i.e. 2nd place vs 6 other batteries 2x-4x the price). Unless you're racing at a very competitive level, there is little value in paying more for a battery. Hobby shops don't often stock them not because they aren't good: but because they don't make them as much money as other brands.

3s depending on voltage doubles your power output which kills plastic internals as well as will melt your motors down hence why people run diff fans on their cars and even heat sinks and coolers on the motors actually have a liquid cooling set up on one of our shops cars
If you want to run 3s just to try it out, go ahead: Ihaven't had any problems with a 3s in mine for goofing around. But if you wish to do so long-term you should swap in a lower-KV brushless motor. Higher voltage packs (3s or 4s) will run cooler with a lower-KV motor... but at the same speed and a bit longer - than an equvalent 2s pack on a high-KVmotor.

kchobbies 04-09-2012 09:32 AM

thats correct dont disagree but to be honest chinese makes more profit than us made so statement is incorrect... hence why i sell redcat has a decent profit margin but most of my redcats are not really stock anymore and the statement about higher voltage 3s and 4s isnt 3s and 4s are amount of cells voltage is diff concept and sometimes KV has nothing to do with how it runs most of the time the esc (electronic speed controllers) restrict the capabilities of your LiPo hence why you buy programmers to adapt your car for that battery set up and im aware of the side mount for the caldera hence i said we can make a battery to fit at certain cell and voltage specs as well as what kind of taps you would like as well as connector and its also cause your battery pic was a very low mah meaning run time and those are airplane batteries hence "3D pilots" in listing car/truck lipos run a true 100C plus not 45C~90C and is the turnigy actually 5c rapid charge capable??www.kchobbie.com/hacaraed6527.htmland the fact that common ROAR batteries have bullets not neccesarily true this is ROAR approved and set up same as the turnigy accept can customize all your plugs to your car and also running a true 150C more power, more reserve

You can run hard packs if know what size your getting the problem is your talking 2 and 3 cells which are bigger in general soft packs puncher easier that's why roar packs are usually hard
Most ROAR packs (and hard packs in general) won't fit in the Caldera, because the battery is mounted sideways. Common hard-case batteries have holes for bullet connectors on top: it would be very difficult to use them without cutting the chassis or soldering 90-degree bullets. But if the hard-pack has wires out the top or side you'd be OK.

Definitely do your shopping on this your battery is your bloodline and for a 32 dollar price your gonna get a 32 dollar battery this is why hobby shops don't sell these kinda batteries
Iagree it's easy to pay way more than $32 for a $32 battery... but you're still probably getting a battery worth $32. The Turnigy Nano Tech batteries Ilinked are the cheapest in almost every review, yet always come out near the top (i.e. 2nd place vs 6 other batteries 2x-4x the price). Unless you're racing at a very competitive level, there is little value in paying more for a battery. Hobby shops don't often stock them not because they aren't good: but because they don't make them as much money as other brands.

3s depending on voltage doubles your power output which kills plastic internals as well as will melt your motors down hence why people run diff fans on their cars and even heat sinks and coolers on the motors actually have a liquid cooling set up on one of our shops cars
If you want to run 3s just to try it out, go ahead: Ihaven't had any problems with a 3s in mine for goofing around. But if you wish to do so long-term you should swap in a lower-KV brushless motor. Higher voltage packs (3s or 4s) will run cooler with a lower-KV motor... but at the same speed and a bit longer - than an equvalent 2s pack on a high-KVmotor.

xxturbowesxx 04-09-2012 11:17 AM

They can run a 3s without re wiring the fan makes no sense... 3s depending on voltage doubles your power output which kills plastic internals as well as will melt your motors down hence why people run diff fans on their cars and even heat sinks and coolers on the motors actually have a liquid cooling set up on one of our shops cars

You rewire the fan to run off of the receiver and take a 6v source rather than a 11.1v source which will burn out the fan.. this is a widely accepted fact for the ezrun 35anp esc.. the fan is the only thing that will cause problems with 3s(and heat if not geared correctly).

Can anyone comment about durability?

PetRock 04-09-2012 12:07 PM

...your battery pic was a very low mah meaning run time...
A 3s 3300mah battery is almost an exact equivalent to a 2s 5000mah battery (actually you'd need 3333mah :) ). Feed them both to the same watt motors spinning at the same RPM and they'll run for the same length of time (actually the 3s would run a bit cooler, a bit longer). You can't look at mah and ignore voltage when comparing the work batteries can do.

...car/truck lipos run a true 100C plus not 45C~90C and is the turnigy actually 5c rapid charge capable?? <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); ">www.kchobbie.com/hacaraed6527.html</span> ...
For someone that just bought a stock Caldera, <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); ">that battery is an extremelypoor recommendation</span>:

- Yes, it supports 5c charging.. but it would need 32.5a at 8.4v (full lipo, 5c x 6.5a)... or 22.75 amps required from the 12-volt power supply. None of the chargers on KCHobbies even go above 10a, nevermind 20 (most chargers do about 6a). Don't pay more for a battery that can be charged faster than your charger can put out the juice!
- A150c discharge rate is impressive! That means it could deliver 6.5a x 150c = 975 amps! But the ESC that comes with the Caldera is rated at 35a, peaking at 190a. That means at a sustained 20% of what the battery could deliver the ESC would let out the magic smoke. Don't pay more for a battery that can put out more current than your ESC or motor can use!<div>
Assuming a standard 5000mah 2s lipo, you'd never need more than a 38C pack (round it to 40C: 190a / 5000mah). Didn't I recommend 45C batteries? :)

The 2s Turnigy Nano Tech battery I linked will only give about 77% of the runtime of the KCHobbies one (5000mah vs 6500mah), but it only costs 23% of the price ($32.63 vs. $139.99), and the car will have the same amount of "punch" with each (both limited by the stock ESC and motor to a 190a draw). And because the Turnigy is smaller, it's also lighter (279g vs 354g) - so the Caldera will accelerate faster, and handle better.If runtime is the problem, buy a higher mah Turnigy, but for the love of [insert diety of choice], <u>don't buy that $140 battery!</u>
</div>

Dads like rc too 04-09-2012 02:02 PM

Caldera 10E is a great choice for a basic brushless, "even more so if your just getting into the hobby or coming back to it". At their price range, it's hard to find anything out there by the big names that will compete with it for under $450. Hey, you could always go get a Traxxas bandit for $179 with a brushed motor "crap". But really, the Caldera will break like any other truck if you beat it hard enough, but it is a good strong truck. From my own experience, if I was buying a brand new one today, I would seriously consider replacing the plastic steering knuckles with the aluminum knuckles. This has been the only part on my son's Caldera 10E that was very weak and continually stripped out. Once I replaced those it was rock solid.

xxturbowesxx 04-09-2012 04:04 PM

A 3s 3300mah battery is almost an exact equivalent to a 2s 5000mah battery (actually you'd need 3333mah :) ). Feed them both to the same watt motors spinning at the same RPM and they'll run for the same length of time (actually the 3s would run a bit cooler, a bit longer). You can't look at mah and ignore voltage when comparing the work batteries can do.

...car/truck lipos run a true 100C plus not 45C~90C and is the turnigy actually 5c rapid charge capable?? <span style=''color: rgb(0, 0, 255); ''>www.kchobbie.com/hacaraed6527.html</span> ...
For someone that just bought a stock Caldera, <span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0); ''>that battery is an extremely poor recommendation</span>:
- Yes, it supports 5c charging.. but it would need 32.5a at 8.4v (full lipo, 5c x 6.5a)... or 22.75 amps required from the 12-volt power supply. None of the chargers on KCHobbies even go above 10a, nevermind 20 (most chargers do about 6a). Don't pay more for a battery that can be charged faster than your charger can put out the juice!
- A 150c discharge rate is impressive! That means it could deliver 6.5a x 150c = 975 amps! But the ESC that comes with the Caldera is rated at 35a, peaking at 190a. That means at a sustained 20% of what the battery could deliver the ESC would let out the magic smoke. Don't pay more for a battery that can put out more current than your ESC or motor can use!<div>
Assuming a standard 5000mah 2s lipo, you'd never need more than a 38C pack (round it to 40C: 190a / 5000mah). Didn't I recommend 45C batteries? :)

The 2s Turnigy Nano Tech battery I linked will only give about 77% of the runtime of the KCHobbies one (5000mah vs 6500mah), but it only costs 23% of the price ($32.63 vs. $139.99), and the car will have the same amount of ''punch'' with each (both limited by the stock ESC and motor to a 190a draw). And because the Turnigy is smaller, it's also lighter (279g vs 354g) - so the Caldera will accelerate faster, and handle better. If runtime is the problem, buy a higher mah Turnigy, but for the love of [insert diety of choice], <u>don't buy that $140 battery! </u>
</div>
Very clear sales pitch... is this guy a sponsor linking his website?

kchobbies 04-09-2012 04:24 PM

Yes a sponsor but don't really care to argue with somebody that doesn't know what's going on math may look and sound cool but doesn't mean neccessarily it is correct I believe I mention the voltage part for equation either do I care if I sell one or not I am just putting my 2 cents and regardless if 2s or 3s most of the esc will cutout after about 20 min runtime anyways I mean I am a reseller and I do sell and test all the cars I sell. It if it makes him feel special to be right cool with me just saying you get your money's worth for the products you buy and without programming for lipos on the esc they are limited to what they perform with them

...car/truck lipos run a true 100C plus not 45C~90C and is the turnigy actually 5c rapid charge capable?? <span style="">www.kchobbie.com/hacaraed6527.html</span> ...
For someone that just bought a stock Caldera, <span style="">that battery is an extremelypoor recommendation</span>:
- A150c discharge rate is impressive! That means it could deliver 6.5a x 150c = 975 amps! But the ESC that comes with the Caldera is rated at 35a, peaking at 190a. That means at a sustained 20% of what the battery could deliver the ESC would let out the magic smoke. Don't pay more for a battery that can put out more current than your ESC or motor can use!<div>

The 2s Turnigy Nano Tech battery I linked will only give about 77% of the runtime of the KCHobbies one (5000mah vs 6500mah), but it only costs 23% of the price ($32.63 vs. $139.99), and the car will have the same amount of ''punch'' with each (both limited by the stock ESC and motor to a 190a draw). And because the Turnigy is smaller, it's also lighter (279g vs 354g) - so the Caldera will accelerate faster, and handle better.If runtime is the problem, buy a higher mah Turnigy, but for the love of [insert diety of choice], <u>don't buy that $140 battery!</u>
</div>
Very clear sales pitch... is this guy a sponsor linking his website?

kashjeff 04-10-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks again for all the info from everybody. Looks like it's not difficult to keep a post alive here.
I've been watching this post and continuously reading through the forum. Learned A LOT so far.
Unfortunatly My truck has been and is still down since my first post. Payday is tomorow. I'll be ordering a 10kgs metal gear servo, extra spur and pinion gears, and battery. Also looking into alumnm steering linkage and knuckles. Some of the stuff i read about batteries was i bit over my head and now is not a good time for me to be spending $100+ on a lipo and charger upgrade (3 month old daughter and DISGRUNTLED WIFE). Dealer  who sold me the truck sells a 7.2v 5000mah battery with the stock plug so I'm gonna keep it simple for now. I don't wanna complicate things and cause myself more problems.
There's a nice pile of gravel and dirt in the parking lot next to my house. truck goes airborn and lands in a soft patch of tall grass. I can hardly wait to get back to it.
This forum has been a goldmine so far. You'll be hearing from me as soon as I break this thing again.

Thanks
Jeff