RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10314873-did-i-make-bad-purchase-am-i-just-unlucky-am-i-just-bad-driver.html)

lcbe 02-07-2011 07:17 PM

RE: did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???

i've seen pictures of slash axles that broke the same way, it happens. your truck must have been put together on a Monday.
on

sherwoodGS 02-07-2011 07:23 PM

i'm not going to wait 7 days for a part that is probably going to break again. i bought upgraded pieces instead. i did go to redcat for the broken gear in the front diff. because i think that was a one in a milion whereas the other issues i've had are more common i think.

ORIGINAL: Capn kanuckles

I'm trying to figure out why you dont warranty those broken pieces.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-07-2011 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: sherwoodGS

i'm not going to wait 7 days for a part that is probably going to break again. i bought upgraded pieces instead. i did go to redcat for the broken gear in the front diff. because i think that was a one in a milion whereas the other issues i've had are more common i think.

ORIGINAL: Capn kanuckles

I'm trying to figure out why you dont warranty those broken pieces.

which upgrade did you get?
i have the alloy
"C" hubs
rear hubs
steering knuckes
all ready to go on my 8E if/when the stock ones break.
i also have the wheely bar. from the little bit i drove it last saturday....i think its gonna need it!

sherwoodGS 02-07-2011 07:41 PM

i bought these upgrades tonight:

<div style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">stainless steel knuckle arm set
stainless steel C-Hub set

i also have the wheelie bar on the truck and man it saves it big time.  i've driven it twice and the little wheels on the wheelie bar are already pretty chewed up.  i take that as a sign that the thing is doing its job.  looks kinda cool on there too, IMHO.
</div>

sherwoodGS 02-12-2011 02:44 PM

i took my earthquake 8e out today in a massive empty parking lot and ran it through 3 sets of batteries.  it performed flawlessly.  one thing i can say about this thing is that it is lighning fast.  i learned how to drive a little better so i am not flipping it as much.  i have the wheelie bar on it and whn i pull the trigger from a standstill the truck rockets forward up on the wheelie bar with the front tires balloon to almost double their size.  pretty amazing.  handles well also.  i got it at almost full throttle in a big circle, probably about 75 yard diameter and that was pretty cool.  as big as this lot was i still couldn't really open it up full throttle without quickly running out of pavement. 
all i can say is that absolutely can't wait to run this thing off road and try some jumps.  with all the snow we have here it will be a long time until that day comes. 
lastly, i am now considering expanding my young collection to a 1/5 scale gas buggy. 

nitrosportsandrunner 02-12-2011 03:34 PM

i took my earthquake 8e out today in a massive empty parking lot and ran it through 3 sets of batteries. it performed flawlessly. one thing i can say about this thing is that it is lighning fast. i learned how to drive a little better so i am not flipping it as much. i have the wheelie bar on it and whn i pull the trigger from a standstill the truck rockets forward up on the wheelie bar with the front tires balloon to almost double their size. pretty amazing. handles well also. i got it at almost full throttle in a big circle, probably about 75 yard diameter and that was pretty cool. as big as this lot was i still couldn't really open it up full throttle without quickly running out of pavement.
all i can say is that absolutely can't wait to run this thing off road and try some jumps. with all the snow we have here it will be a long time until that day comes.
lastly, i am now considering expanding my young collection to a 1/5 scale gas buggy.
3 sets of in a row with no issues, now thats what i like to hear!
i have only ran 1 set through my 8E. still waiting for better weather. but i feel as you do that this truck has some insane power.
after reading your post i think i will put my wheely bar on before i run the truck again. dont want to destroy the body i just put on it.
check out this bashing vid i found. thats some torture testing! good stuff starts half-way through the vid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDRdou6wNwc[/youtube]

1ofmyfuns 02-12-2011 08:17 PM

All i can say Nitro is that if that Earthquake 8E can take a pounding like that and still make it home for supper that is the truck to have, just going over those rocks would break something onmy Backdraft before it even got to that hill..........!

thats a very cool vid. and that looks to be a solid tough truck.......it may have just made it onto my wish list after seeing that vid........dang that was some cool bashing....Ilike it......I like it a lot......! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...spinnyeyes.gif

sherwoodGS 02-12-2011 08:50 PM

sweet vid.  i am sure the upgraded alloy front end and the wheelie bar would make that thing even more beastly.

sherwoodGS 02-12-2011 08:51 PM

yes, by the way, the wheely bar is a MUST on this thing, especially on pavement but i would guess even off road.

Allnighters 02-24-2011 12:28 AM

I broke the axle on my 8e the exact same way that you did and it was 55 degrees out that day. Pavement is hard on them. I also did about 20 cartwheels in the grass off of a skate board ramp with no breaks. These axles look weak in this area. I am  thinking  about having a set of axles machined from stainless at my local machine shop. good idea? Body is brittle but expected it to break this beast is 9 plus pounds!

twobnvd 02-24-2011 08:28 AM

did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???
so, my new Earthquake 8e arrived on Monday (5 days ago....) and on my first run, i broke the smaller gear in the front diff (see pic, right in half!). warranty item from redcat but it was going to take 5-7 days for delivery so i paid an extra $26 and got it in 2 days. i was able to fix that. today, i took the truck out into a parking lot and drove it around. very fast, very responsive. but maybe not too durable...??? the first time the truck rolled, the body broke and the front wheel sheered off at the hub. ***???? now don't get me wrong, i understand this is a hobby and i actually enjoy ripping them apart and fixing them and putting them back together again. problem is that everytime something breaks i need to get the parts online and it takes a week for them to come in unless i pay through the nose for shipping. i have a very nice LHS near my house and they've never even heard of redcat, nevermind carry parts. so i guess i am going to order the new wheel parts and wait a week.
my question is what parts should i buy and have on hand that typically break? for instance now i know that i will buy multiple wheel parts because that seemed to break pretty easily. anything else you guys can think of so i have common problem parts on-hand? i assume that is the way to go. thanks and enjoy the carnage photos!

I broke mine just like you did but was hauling butt and cut a turn and the inside of the wheel hit a root and ripped the wheel off just like yours looked, It broke at the pin and the pin stayed in the rim, But for 3.99 I got two more and got it back up and running in about 5 minutes. I only broke the wheeel axel though.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-24-2011 08:45 AM

im glad you guys like the vid i posted.

i have owned several nice/fast brushless trucks. i had a couple of rustler vxl's, a ofna with a vxl system and other.
some days i could bash them just like in that earthquake vid and nothing would break after 2 full lipo packs(an hour of runtime!)
other days something would break 5 minutes into my fun[:@] its just the nature of bashing. no matter what the truck, some days you have a blast and other days you break parts.

one time i launched my rusty of a skateboard park ramp....landed 40 feet away. bent both rear shock shafts, the Rx mounts snapped, the Rx flew out of the truck, breaking the cyrstal and the body cracked really bad. and one of the wheel rims cracked. about $40 in parts needed to get it running again! but to me, thats what bashing is, running hard - breaking stuff - making the truck as tough as you can and putting it through more abuse[>:]

twobnvd 02-24-2011 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

im glad you guys like the vid i posted.

i have owned several nice/fast brushless trucks. i had a couple of rustler vxl's, a ofna with a vxl system and other.
some days i could bash them just like in that earthquake vid and nothing would break after 2 full lipo packs(an hour of runtime!)
other days something would break 5 minutes into my fun[:@] its just the nature of bashing. no matter what the truck, some days you have a blast and other days you break parts.

one time i launched my rusty of a skateboard park ramp....landed 40 feet away. bent both rear shock shafts, the Rx mounts snapped, the Rx flew out of the truck, breaking the cyrstal and the body cracked really bad. and one of the wheel rims cracked. about $40 in parts needed to get it running again! but to me, thats what bashing is, running hard - breaking stuff - making the truck as tough as you can and putting it through more abuse[>:]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^AGREED^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

ehroof 02-24-2011 09:58 AM

Its a very rare day when i go out bashing and dont come back with broken rc's, could be the savage, tmaxx, avalanche, rxb, doesnt matter, then i aways look and say "how could that possibly, bend, break" etc.

JTuepker1 02-24-2011 11:53 AM

My Backdraft 8e broke its first part last night had about 20 runs in it and some hard bashing sessions. I split the diff gear also dont know how, was just at my local track working on the new triple jumps and came down took a turn and then it stood still. Hit the throttle and nothing just free spinning the center diff. Going to lhs to see if i can find some type of replacement before my ordered one comes in. Might be able to get an upgrade from another model.

Anyone know what the hpi vorza pinion gears are. the site for hpi only shows the main 43 tooth not the little tooth gear. But from looking it says its a 13 tooth.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-24-2011 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

My Backdraft 8e broke its first part last night had about 20 runs in it and some hard bashing sessions. I split the diff gear also dont know how, was just at my local track working on the new triple jumps and came down took a turn and then it stood still. Hit the throttle and nothing just free spinning the center diff. Going to lhs to see if i can find some type of replacement before my ordered one comes in. Might be able to get an upgrade from another model.

Anyone know what the hpi vorza pinion gears are. the site for hpi only shows the main 43 tooth not the little tooth gear. But from looking it says its a 13 tooth.

20 runs before a broken part[X(] thats pretty good in my book. the 8E's are soo fast that its easy to crash hard with these things.
i cant wait till spring when i can really open up my 8E[8D]

JTuepker1 02-24-2011 12:40 PM

Yeah the backdraft has been awesome. Running 5000 mah lipos it tears things apart. Jump and what not. i went thru and put the plastic arms in boiling water and let them cool before running it the first time. Makes the plastic flex a bit more, the differs have been rebuilt before running and the rear where it broke i ran out of shims on it so might been my downfall. But hell i wanted to play.

JTuepker1 02-24-2011 05:22 PM

Well ill be looking for a new hobby shop now. Went to my former lhs and asked to see the diff gear to some of the ones i found online. The gentlemen behind the counter asked what i was working on. I told him my redcat buggy, got the dirtiest look ever and told me it wasnt worth his time to look for something that wasnt worth the money i spent on it.

So in turn ill be looking for a new hobby shop to browse and shop.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-24-2011 05:52 PM

Well ill be looking for a new hobby shop now. Went to my former lhs and asked to see the diff gear to some of the ones i found online. The gentlemen behind the counter asked what i was working on. I told him my redcat buggy, got the dirtiest look ever and told me it wasnt worth his time to look for something that wasnt worth the money i spent on it. So in turn ill be looking for a new hobby shop to browse and shop.

been there, had that happen^^
why any RC shop worker would tell a customer that his RC is worthless is beyond me. thats just rude! if thats his opinion fine, but as the given where he works, he should keep that opinion to himself. how much you wanna bet he never even owned a redcat?

tell him you wanna race the 8E against his $500 brushless 1/8 scale and that should shut him up:)

foxys 02-24-2011 07:26 PM

Not all LHS' are like that. We love Redcat at ours. :)

JTuepker1 02-24-2011 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Well ill be looking for a new hobby shop now. Went to my former lhs and asked to see the diff gear to some of the ones i found online. The gentlemen behind the counter asked what i was working on. I told him my redcat buggy, got the dirtiest look ever and told me it wasnt worth his time to look for something that wasnt worth the money i spent on it. So in turn ill be looking for a new hobby shop to browse and shop.

been there, had that happen^^
why any RC shop worker would tell a customer that his RC is worthless is beyond me. thats just rude! if thats his opinion fine, but as the given where he works, he should keep that opinion to himself. how much you wanna bet he never even owned a redcat?

tell him you wanna race the 8E against his $500 brushless 1/8 scale and that should shut him up:)
I offered him that race, he said lets go now. Oh wait you have to order your part while the store i work in has mine, then laughed.

Told him ill see him at the track. i race the at shops track.
Ordered me 2 today from urchobby

Also returned the 2 bodies i picked up yesterday. I rather order them offline than go back into shop. I call the store manager as me and his son are friends to let him know what a fine employee he has.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-24-2011 08:35 PM

some people just dont think before they speak!
whatever place you may work at, you represent that place. you cant just act like a jerk and expect people to take it.

the same thing has happened at my LHS. the owner and his son are great guys. they love the hobby and run a fine shop. but one of their workers is a "know it all" who will openly talk down certain brands. he also has little respect for other's opinions. he is welcome to his opinions, but he doesnt need to share them when he is working in the shop.
i always leave their shop with the item i wanted at a fair price....but if that guy was working there that day I also leave wishing he hadnt opened his big mouth:eek:

JTuepker1 02-25-2011 12:28 PM

Think ill be ordering my parts from URC love the tracking for the delivery and his prices are more than fair. Now if he could just get a few stock bodies in, i would like to pick up about a half dozen to paint and sell.</p>

formula87 02-25-2011 02:26 PM

Think ill be ordering my parts from URC love the tracking for the delivery and his prices are more than fair. Now if he could just get a few stock bodies in, i would like to pick up about a half dozen to paint and sell.</p>
Yea Kurt and Dawn are GREAT!! I just picked up a stock HPI Vorza Flux Buggy body $21 w/masking and decals!!! atmy LHS.I will post a vid on it ......................................my LHS owner is great and he has looked at myRedcat and he saw some things he would change but for the money he said that is alot for $300,.............I know it isn'ta Losi or AE probuggy........ it runs okay and he has said he would line it up for me before the racing seasonstarts (which i have tried and failed). I guess there are some LHS's who justcan't get over themselfs.

K-BAR 02-28-2011 06:37 PM

From the sound of your trouble, we both made BAD choices in buying Redcat. The hobby shops I've called around here don't want anything to do with them.
I have tried several times a day to get help with my crawler (came 2-9-11) screws were missing, or so loose they fell out as I inspected for problems. The only reply I got from where I bought it was "good luck" and the phone # for redcat customer support, and they haven't called back.
The funny thing is my grandson and 2 of his friends were here when it came, and my daughter was going to order him one so we could compete...