RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat is crap uh? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10390203-redcat-crap-uh.html)

St33v3 03-09-2011 08:54 PM

Redcat is crap uh?

So they said Redcat is not durable and break easily?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODtFSkVPOwU[/youtube]

Yeah right!

cswtornado 03-10-2011 06:42 AM

RE: Redcat is crap uh?

1) Luck
2) Several takes
3) Not even too hard for something like a Savage... That jump goes into the "weekend warmup bash sessions" instead of an entire video dedicated to it.

cswtornado 03-10-2011 06:46 AM

And when people say Redcats are crap they are mostly flaming the 1/10 scales. 1/8s are actually hobby class cars and are fairly durable.

St33v3 03-10-2011 08:12 AM

Ok I see...

When it's a Redcat its all about luck... lol

Please, make a video with the same hit @ 3m10 with your Savage. I want to see that.

buggyboy2010 03-10-2011 08:19 AM

Disagree.

ORIGINAL: cswtornado

1) Luck
2) Several takes
3) Not even too hard for something like a Savage... That jump goes into the "weekend warmup bash sessions" instead of an entire video dedicated to it.

johnr2604 03-10-2011 08:39 AM

Well here is an unedited video of one of thier crappy stock 1/10's. guess I'm just lucky LOL.

www.youtube.com/watch

johnr2604 03-10-2011 08:43 AM

Here is another one, but to be fair I did strip a spur gear after about 10 jumps because my mesh was off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JvrK...;tracker=False

nitrosportsandrunner 03-10-2011 10:31 AM

here is my volcano epx pro, all stock chassis....overpowered with a VXL system and 3S lipo. it was 25 degrees that day. nothing broke, but i did strip the spur gear. not the gears fault though....the screws holding the motor to the mount came loose!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YeexXsaPQ[/youtube]

nitrosportsandrunner 03-10-2011 10:37 AM

1) Luck
2) Several takes
3) Not even too hard for something like a Savage... That jump goes into the ''weekend warmup bash sessions'' instead of an entire video dedicated to it.
once again, you want to compare a $300 Rc to a $500 savage:eek:
in RC, you usually get what you pay for. if you pay $500 for a monster truck, it had better be able to do some serious jumps and not break.

my earthquake 8e has held up well to some harsh jumps. this summer, my brushless savage should be up and running. then ill get to compare the 2 truck.

basketballfan60123 03-10-2011 12:42 PM

1) Luck
2) Several takes
3) Not even too hard for something like a Savage... That jump goes into the ''weekend warmup bash sessions'' instead of an entire video dedicated to it.
No comparison dude; you are comparing 2 different kits built for different purposes one is built for bashing the other is more like for the track; between backdraft 8e and savage it's pretty obvious which one would be tougher.
I have 2 Savages; a flux and a X SS and on the flux I have broken and wore out quite a few of parts before I had to upgrade.
I am pretty sure you have had to do upgrades on your Savage as well and if you haven't it is just pure 1) Luck

electricrc68 03-10-2011 01:07 PM

1) Luck
2) Several takes
this is exactly what makes me mad.
<br type="_moz" />

basketballfan60123 03-10-2011 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

1) Luck
2) Several takes
in RC, you usually get what you pay for. if you pay $500 for a monster truck, it had better be able to do some serious jumps and not break.

my earthquake 8e has held up well to some harsh jumps. this summer, my brushless savage should be up and running. then ill get to compare the 2 truck.
Last time he was comparing his tornado buggy to his savage and the reason for this was "because he can".

electricrc68 03-10-2011 02:05 PM

wow........

buggyboy2010 03-10-2011 02:20 PM

Probably just a little pre-teen who thinks He knows it all, Just let Him bask in His useless glory.

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

1) Luck
2) Several takes

Last time he was comparing his tornado buggy to his savage and the reason for this was "because he can".

sherwoodGS 03-10-2011 05:22 PM

whatever bro, why bother try to be all cool? you know this is a redcat site, right?

1) Luck
2) Several takes

ThePenguins 03-10-2011 06:12 PM

Excellent video.

If nothing broke then it probably wasluck. I love my redcat and I love my traxxas and losi vehicles;but I know a beating like that would break any if not all of them.

The savage is a fantastic truck but it isn't godmode. Redcats are low cost beginner vehicles driven mostly bybeginners. They will break more due to the people driving them opposed to the savage which is a serious investment that beginners usually don't make.

basketballfan60123 03-10-2011 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ThePenguins

Excellent video.

If nothing broke then it probably was luck. I love my redcat and I love my traxxas and losi vehicles; but I know a beating like that would break any if not all of them.

The savage is a fantastic truck but it isn't godmode. Redcats are low cost beginner vehicles driven mostly by beginners. They will break more due to the people driving them opposed to the savage which is a serious investment that beginners usually don't make.
Very good point; I do not see why the people who bash redcat so much go through all the trouble saying that the more popular brands like HPI,Traxxas,Losi,Associated are better quality and more durable when they all have their weaknesses I mean no brand is indestructible and that's why they make spare parts and etc.

cswtornado 03-11-2011 04:27 AM

Wow.... rage.....<div>That came out wrong.</div><div></div><div>Seriously came out wrong...</div><div></div><div>I didn't really mean to start a rage war, and I am comparing the 1/8s and the Caldera (only 1/10 not based off HSP chassis) to the Savage, and they come out fairly faverably, that said, to a $400 RC and a $200-$250 rc. I wasn't saying they were CRAP really...</div><div></div><div>Look, how about we pretend I was never here?

Just one thing... If I were to buy another RC it would be one of the Redcat 1/8 Hurricane.</div>

Torch39 03-11-2011 11:46 AM

Redcat is a great company with very good products. People just **** on them becuase there reasonable priced. And Traxxas, Losi, HPI are over priced. Face it all brands of RCanything break. That is the nature of this hobby.

Ipersonal have a Redcat Tornado S30. Ilove it. Was bumpy when it was new. Mostly Ihad been out of the hobby for awhile and was a noob. A few things broke here and there.

Now that the car is broken in. She starts right up with no effort run perfectly every time. Ihave not broken anything in months. Knock on wood lol. Only 2 things broke on the car that were not my fault. Both cost be about 5 dollars to fix. The one way bearing in the center diff went on me and the throttle server went.

Other things were from crashing. Broke a wheel off once after a bad crash. Bent the front shock brace (replaced with thicker one for 20 bucks and that thing is unbendable). Broke a few dogbones becuase Gravel got stuck in the wheels (totally my fault.. Gravel parketing lot is not for rc cars).

cswtornado 03-11-2011 06:17 PM

Lets put it this way. If they had a place where you could buy parts with better plastic quality and stuff I would love RedCat, it would be just like upgrading a KM baja - put good parts on it when it breaks.<div>I think that would be a serious thing if someone made clone redcat parts out of good plastic, like RPM plastic.</div><div>The more I think about it there are only a couple things that really gave me trouble on my Tornado</div><div>Dogbones bending and twisting</div><div>Tires wearing at insane speeds</div><div>Shock towers bending</div><div>Pull start failing, OWB slipping (but thats same as all cars)</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>So if they offered thick plastic shock towers I would be golden. Bigger dogbones would be good, all of mine are twisted to the max. Fixing those issues would make the Tornado a pretty damn reliable buggy... for $180!</div>

Hack u 2 03-11-2011 10:25 PM

You can size the dogbones to several makes. I replaced mine with Associated bones...I think they are from a t1 or 2. Issue solved and gone now. But this makes a good case for that .18 motor uhhhh! Bad *****! And for the crap callers....these are the same guys that look at my walmart jeans and ask why I don't shop Old Navy....or Aeropostle.... Pre madonnas who have silver spoons....Yes you can name all the big money rc companies but for us that want quality and low price these are the best available.... and my personal car is a vette! Chevette yeah I'm broke and lovin it...not to say these are poor mans toys but they are affordable to all and they are gateway cars to bring people to the hobby...and when I race yes I race I look for the richest guy with the best car and I take him out...because I am a hack and proud of it! My 2 cents...if you wanna take it to the track in your best car lets do it :D[&o][X(]!

basketballfan60123 03-11-2011 11:46 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hack u 2
And for the crap callers....these are the same guys that look at my walmart jeans and ask why I don't shop Old Navy....or Aeropostle.... Pre madonnas who have silver spoons....

Very good point.

Goatcrapp 03-15-2011 11:16 PM

1&gt;To Hack - the expression is "prima donna" - an italian term for the leading lady in an opera. Because of their wealth, fame, and exhorbitant expectations - the term came to represent the spoiled elite - ie: a modern diva. What you said makes no sense - its not a pre-madonna, or "before madonna" lol...

Also, Hack, a bit of advice.. comparing your preference for walmart jeans to other downmarket brands like old navy doesn't make you look like a smart value shopper - it makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about. Secondly - a person's choice in jeans (or rc cars) is just that.. a choice. Pre-emptively getting defensive over your value conscious decision, in an attempt to push an argument against those with more to spend just makes it look like you have a chip on your shoulder. Its silly. Wear your walmart jeans and wear them well. Don't concern yourself with other people's choices - for it will make you seem petty and small.

2&gt; To the OP - the video took forever to get to the point. Its an RCcar bash session.. So stop with the too-many fade ins, fade outs, overly dramatic text, and other wannabe film student BS. You're not going to make it in hollywood - so instead give us a video that cuts to the point, so we can watch it. With that said - that was some nice light bashing. Your Backdraft seems well balanced, and you have good control over it. Please keep in mind you posted a video, so you INVITEfeedback - both good and bad. I consider that rough stuff for a redcat... but light stuff for a monster truck. I've jumped a garage roof with my MGT and it survives every time. (BTWthe Savage vs. MGT is another silly battle, that only fanboys participate in.. i've bashed with both, and they both break and have strengths that the other doesnt).

Anyways - the comparisons might seem invalid - ie: comparing a 500.00 +monster truck to a sub 300.00 buggy... but there is a VERYgood point to them.. if your goal is bashing - a monster truck is simply a better choice. Not just from durability, but from a ground clearance, suspension travel, tire selection, and myriad other considerations point of view. Now if your goal is all terrain speed and handling, with some crashes that you can walk away from - a buggy is a very good choice, but its hardly bashing. Lets all be clear with the goals and purposes of the various machines in question. I made that mistake, and by the time i finished replacing parts (this is before redcat offered to replace the clearly faulty parts with upgraded designs for free) - the cost alone (not to mention my time) put me into the league of a decent monster truck.

3&gt; Regarding redcats in general, but specifically 1/8th scale 8e vs. nitro: I have found that the 8e's are built stouter than their nitro brethren. I had an aftershock 3.5 (95%the same as the backdraft) and after i fixed the constantly stripping plastic spur gear (went through 4 within my first gallon - and yes i know how to set mesh) then i had to deal with substandard plastic c hubs, pins that literally fell out of the control arms, due to poor fit (not even bashing.. just turning - replaced those with the traxxas threaded pins) very weak steering components that the smallest bump would cause to crack, and other items which broke in situations that they shouldn't have.

I now have the same vehicle, in 8e form, and many of the parts in the steering and suspension are either metal, or very obviously upgraded plastics. Every piece i broke in my nitro aftershock, is an upgraded piece on this 8e. I've torn down both pretty completely, and can see where they added more material on the control arms, hubs, retainers, and etc, and which parts they made metal instead.

This difference between especially early 1/8 scale nitros from redcats, and their 8e variants goes a long way towards people's opinions of redcat. In the park - my nitro aftershock would break something big or small every run.. it got ridiculous, and people noticed. Now with the 8e - i run it hard, and it keeps up with or outhandles a lot of other stuff out there.. and hardly ever breaks unless its my fault.. and people notice that too.

With all of that said - Ilove my MGT8.0, and bash it regularly. I also love my aftershock 8e, and run it regularly. I wouldn't attempt to do what i do with the MGT... and I wouldn't try and get the MGTto be competetive in a handling and versatility contest with the aftershock.

Hack u 2 03-16-2011 05:04 AM

Goatcrapp I am clearly out witted by your briliance, how can I match your level of education on RC's. Clearly you are an expert in opion, so I will agree with what you say. I would like to see a video of your garage jumping.Since I owned a MGT 8.0, I would like to see nothing break on a jump over 7ft.

Hack u 2 03-16-2011 06:39 AM

Deleted original....trying to take the high road. No time fore rage! RC FOREVER no whatever you like better than me!