RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Quality ........... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10439359-redcat-quality.html)

cswtornado 04-04-2011 08:23 AM

RE: Redcat Quality ...........

And by the way, if you go to HPI's forum and make the topic "HPI SUCKS" and rage about breaking things, you won't get a massive flame thread with people being super defensive about their cheap ****ty chinese RCs. They actually try to help you.

cheezer1222 04-04-2011 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

You just had to add that didn't You? And You say Your not bashing?

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

Well a lot of people share that opinion soo.... Think that makes it atleast the truth.

I picked up a second hand aftershock 8e late last summer. Took it to the track to have a bit of fun with it. I made it almost an entire lap before one of the hub carriers broke. I can't say it was a good first impression for redcat, but it hasn't soured me on redcat yet. The aftershock will get a chance to prove itself this summer.

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

this is actually true. but in my previous post, i just said traxxas is overpriced since thats a fact. :D

That's actually not a fact, it's an opinion. Whether or not something is overpriced is dependent on whether YOU think the quality of the product is worth the asking price. Mattnday's cars broke or had defects. Those weren't opinions, those were facts.

LOL! I've heard plenty of people talking about the poor quality of redcat soo.... Does that make it the truth? I'm sure you'd argue the contrary.

It may seem like I'm some traxxas fanboy who has come into this forum to bash redcat products. Totally untrue. I have not said a bad word about redcat. I simply shared my experience and tried to weed out some ignorance in the process. I'm not defending traxxas, but at the same time I will not jump on the ''bash traxxas products'' bandwagon. Just like I would not jump on the ''redcat products are crap'' bandwagon which I'm sure everybody who frequents this forum is sick of.

I will also mention, I own a rampage. <span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''><span style=''font-size: medium;''>Once you hammer out the imperfections (which are numerous)</span></span>, it's a pretty nice vehicle.

It's not a bash. If I wanted to bash it I would have said something like, "Once you hammer out the imperfections (which are numerous), it's still a piece of crap." I was just pointing out that even though a vehicle may have a number of imperfections, it doesn't make it a bad vehicle. I only added the "which are numerous" line because it's true. Especially with the V1 rampage. When I bought my V1 it was actually sold with an upgrade kit (which was nice) to address the major issues, but even that didn't take care of everything.

buggyboy2010 04-04-2011 10:08 AM

We do the same here, I don't know where You are getting that from, And if we did "flame" it's because a lot of people have came in here without owning one or even driving one and throw an uneducated stab at Redcats quality.

And Cheezer,I get what You are saying bud, But You have to see Our side of the story, A lot of Us have been here since Redcat has been in business and are loyal to them, Knowing they have some lemons BUT the majority of their products are amazing and great customer service to boot! They are still a "new" company and trying to make a good name for themselves,Some kinks to work out but staying strong.

ORIGINAL: cswtornado

And by the way, if you go to HPI's forum and make the topic "HPI SUCKS" and rage about breaking things, you won't get a massive flame thread with people being super defensive about their cheap ****ty chinese RCs. They actually try to help you.

cheezer1222 04-04-2011 10:32 AM

And Cheezer, I get what You are saying bud, But You have to see Our side of the story, A lot of Us have been here since Redcat has been in business and are loyal to them, Knowing they have some lemons BUT the majority of their products are amazing and great customer service to boot! They are still a ''new'' company and trying to make a good name for themselves, Some kinks to work out but staying strong.

I do see your side. And as I've been trying to express, I have no quarrel with redcat. I won't say that they're top of the line vehicles, because that's not my experience, but at the same time I will not trash them and call them crap, because that's also not my experience. In my previous posts I was merely stating my experiences with redcat vehicles that I have owned.

And as far as my initial post about traxxas being overpriced, I will admit that I was defending them a bit. It's hard not to. Just like most people in here love their redcats, I quite enjoy my little nitro stampede. There's something about it that I just love, so sometimes I feel inclined to fight in its corner (not that I was looking for a fight).

I didn't mean to make waves, but it feels like I just did a cannonball, so I guess this is me trying to calm the waters and let people know where I stand.

AnthonyN 04-04-2011 10:46 AM

I got a Hurricane XTR in Jan. No problems with out of the box missing parts here. In fact, just the opposite. I'm impressed with the quality of the buggy and it does real well at the track. It's been to the track 6 or 7 times for full days of practice. Over a gallon through it. I broke my first part last week. a rear dogbone.

Another point. The guys at Redcat (Billy and Chris) are great. They respond to email almost immediately and are very willing to help you. I would rate their support very high.

A pretty nice buggy, especially for the price and really good support. What more can you ask for.

basketballfan60123 04-04-2011 01:06 PM

double post; sorry:)

basketballfan60123 04-04-2011 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

Once you hammer out the imperfections (which are numerous), it's a pretty nice vehicle.
This was true for all the brands that I own; HPI,Traxxas,HPI,Redcat.
My Slash 4x4 after about a dozen runs my esc started malfunctioning and was replaced for free and if you check the Traxxas forums if you do some searching you will find that there are others (quite a lot) with this same issue that is if the topics were not removed besides the numerous other imperfections motor mount melted and the bearing seized up, drive shaft opening in front collects dirt gravel etc and totally scratches and wears out the drive shaft, stub axles bent pretty easy and replaced for free,front plastic dive shaft drive hub strips pretty easy.
I have had just as many issues with my Hpi's and Traxxas's as I have had with the Redcats that I own or have owned and just like Dragonii mentioned and I have mentioned this myself when a redcat basher who actually owned one in the past broke parts on a redcat or something went wrong it's because they are cheap and they suck and if the same thing happens to say an HPI,Traxxas,Losi,Associated,etc in most cases they overlook the issues or it was from user error and not a big deal.
With this said I still love this hobby.:D

[/quote]

buggyboy2010 04-04-2011 02:22 PM

It's all good bro, All of Us here are more than willing to help You or anyone else out when needed, Like the old saying goes, "What doesn't kill Us will Make Us stronger:

And Cheezer,I get what You are saying bud, But You have to see Our side of the story, A lot of Us have been here since Redcat has been in business and are loyal to them, Knowing they have some lemons BUT the majority of their products are amazing and great customer service to boot! They are still a ''new'' company and trying to make a good name for themselves,Some kinks to work out but staying strong.

I do see your side. And as I've been trying to express, I have no quarrel with redcat. I won't say that they're top of the line vehicles, because that's not my experience, but at the same time I will not trash them and call them crap, because that's also not my experience. In my previous posts I was merely stating my experiences with redcat vehicles that I have owned.

And as far as my initial post about traxxas being overpriced, I will admit that I was defending them a bit. It's hard not to. Just like most people in here love their redcats, I quite enjoy my little nitro stampede. There's something about it that I just love, so sometimes I feel inclined to fight in its corner (not that I was looking for a fight).

I didn't mean to make waves, but it feels like I just did a cannonball, so I guess this is me trying to calm the waters and let people know where I stand.

speedkills69 04-08-2011 08:23 AM

In fairness to Redcat, though I never owned anything smaller than 5th scale, I have nothing but good things to say about my XT and a lot of guys who own one would agree with me. Price? before I found out about my Rampage XT,I could not afford to get into 5th scale with the prices of other brands. with those outrageous prices I'd rather buy a real car, find a wide open area withno traffic and go crazy with it! This truck had been subjected to numerous unimaginable torture and bashing and so far the only thing I spend on to keep it runningare gas and oil. Talk to Redcat customer support, they're always willing to help.

ORIGINAL: mattnday

Maybe I am jsut jinxed but he quality of Redcat Vehicles is just not even close to that of my Traxxas vehicles.

I understand they are less expensive, but the QC and overall build is just terrible.

I bought 2 tornados several years ago. One came with a defective fuel tank and the other a missing dogbone right out of the box. Both cars also had issues with motor quality as well. I struggled so much with these cars i kind of gave up on nitro and waited several years before buying Traxxas Slash 4x4 and 2WD's.

After falling in love with my Slash's I decided it was time to have soem fun by adding a Monster Truck and a Stadium Truck.

First was the Ground Pounder. Out of thed box the transmitter was extremely glitchy and the ESC fried the first time it saw Lipo. Upon putting a brushlesss motor in it the drive trains lasted 2 minutes and the spur and pinion gears not much longer. I have repalce the drive shafts, pinion gears, motor mount and ESC and finally the truck was runnign OKuntil I lost the shock clips that hold the bottom of the shocks. Their are no replacements wothout buying fullshocks. These are poorly designed and should not just fall off.

Second was a Twister. Out of the box the battery would not hold charge, One rear dog bone was shorter than the other and an upper turnbuckle would not hold on to the threaded connectorthat attaches the wheel to the body. I got the replacement parts from Redcat, minus the battery,I am a Lipoguy, and the differential gears strip out in less than 10 minutes of run time with a 2S battery.

I am sorry but I will not be swayed again by the allure of Redcat or their suppossed quality and reasonable prices. I am keeping these vehicles and will eventually get them fixed but it is rediculous how poorly these cars hold up.

carslover 04-08-2011 05:05 PM

I have just recently gotten into the sport of nitro rc cars, i looked around... and i found my tornado s30, and i was like for this price even if i wreck it it is cheaper than a t-maxx.... so the first time she started up she ran like a champ... i broke it in just like the instructions said, after the break in period i was driving it like a jagoff, and i put it into a light pole, it wasn't too bad of a fix just a new spring and a lower control arm, nbd, then i took it down to my friends farm, and because of a known issue( the battery pack moving) (simple solution to the problem, hold the battery pack in place with velcro) it cracked the on off switch and it drove right up a barn and wrecked half of the front end, i am about 100 dollars into parts so far and she runs like a champ, she has almost drunk a whole gallon of nitro, and i wouldn't trade it for any traxxas

speedkills69 04-08-2011 08:48 PM

This reminds me of what my dad used to tell me when he hands me an expensive toy which he could hardly afford,when I was growing up. It never fails "If you take care of it, it will take care of you" short but very meaningful. Another experience I want to share, when I was in LA, my dad used to work for this wealthy guy and he owns fancy cars and one of those cars was A Lambo, though he can afford it, this guy never bothered sending his car to the shop for maintenance. Eventually, the tranny gave out because of the abuse it sustained. he took it the shop and he got slapped with a $24 grand worth ofestimate to fix the tranny. instead he sold it and bought a new Ferrari. Any resemblance to what we are discussing here guys? Buying expensive RCdoes not guarantee anyone that it will last a long timeas you would want it to if you don't give it the proper care it demands.

We do the same here, I don't know where You are getting that from, And if we did "flame" it's because a lot of people have came in here without owning one or even driving one and throw an uneducated stab at Redcats quality.

And Cheezer,I get what You are saying bud, But You have to see Our side of the story, A lot of Us have been here since Redcat has been in business and are loyal to them, Knowing they have some lemons BUT the majority of their products are amazing and great customer service to boot! They are still a "new" company and trying to make a good name for themselves,Some kinks to work out but staying strong

ORIGINAL: cswtornado

ncostes 04-10-2011 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Dragonii

To each their own.

I had a guy try to sell me his Revo and Jato tonight for $100 for the lot. Said that he ran then a couple of times and now he can't get them to stay running for anything and that he got tired of replacing broken parts so they now sit in the closet.
Please send this guy my way. I will buy those right now, paypal ready.
Thanks!

Dragonii 04-11-2011 01:00 PM

lol, if I see him again I do plan on talking with him in more detail.

masterhacker1989 04-11-2011 05:25 PM

I have something to ***** about with redcat quality-THEIR SCREWS SUCK! I think they are made of lead, because they strip out like nothing, and shear just as easily. Ok im done now, but they need to offer some aluminum steering bell cranks, I don't much care for their plastic ones

ThePenguins 04-11-2011 08:20 PM

I just wrote a large post only to have the server not allow me to send it. Long story short: Express your concers with the quality of an rc car in a positive manner and you will receive positive feedback. Express it in a threatening manner towards the company that we clearly support and we will form a mob.

Also, the screws are pretty weak. I believe I saw a post about one of the retailers that sells a full set to upgrade them with, atleast for a few models.

JTuepker1 04-11-2011 08:24 PM

URC Hobby has them listed up on that site.

masterhacker1989 04-11-2011 10:34 PM

For the earthquake? the only Ive came across has that bar thing that is aluminum, which is what mine has. I want a metal set of bellcranks, I dont even car about the servo saver, im on the look out for some I can steal form another Rc car, and swap. I like my Rc's to have steering with as minimal slop as possible, The steering is way too loose for my tastes on my earthquake.
I wish that rpm, new era, and the likes would take notice of redcat and make aftermarket parts. Hopefully they will, Ive came across aftermarket parts for the dune runner, so hopefully its just a matter of time before they start making parts for other models

JTuepker1 04-12-2011 07:15 AM

been wanting to see if the hurricane buggy set up would work on my backdraft. Ive sent emails to R U Faster and URC and havent gotten a responce back yet. Ill wait, mines in pieces anyways at the moment, new front knuckle now decided it didnt want to hold threads.

All-or-Nothing 04-12-2011 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

For the earthquake? the only Ive came across has that bar thing that is aluminum, which is what mine has. I want a metal set of bellcranks, I dont even car about the servo saver, im on the look out for some I can steal form another Rc car, and swap. I like my Rc's to have steering with as minimal slop as possible, The steering is way too loose for my tastes on my earthquake.
I wish that rpm, new era, and the likes would take notice of redcat and make aftermarket parts. Hopefully they will, Ive came across aftermarket parts for the dune runner, so hopefully its just a matter of time before they start making parts for other models

This is what I am looking to do also. Turnbuckles, shocks, other components. I am looking for anything we all could use to make our cars more durable and have more upgrade choices.

All-or-Nothing 04-12-2011 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

I have converted my Earthquake to a Backdraft but I feel the same way. The steering has WAAAY too much slop for the track. I have been looking at pics of bellcrank upgrades for other vehicles and found a few that look similar in the pics anyways. I might take the plunge and order one and see if it will work (with a little finessing).

Dragonii 04-13-2011 05:25 AM

Sometimes you can find upgrade parts if you search for parts to clones. I don't know what (if anything) is a clone to this vehicle, but I found carbon fiber shock towers for my Shockwave and an aluminum support mount for my Avalanche that way.

All-or-Nothing 04-13-2011 05:48 AM

I found this on Ebay. Maybe this would work on the Earthquake. Here is the quote from the ad....

Redcat Racing 081057b Blue Aluminum Servo Saver-For All Vehicles

Established in 2005 Redcat Racing has since become the premier source for quality Gas Nitro and Electric powered RC vehicles. We at Redcat Racing proudly stand behind our full range of 1/5 1/8 1/10 & 1/16 scale RC Cars Buggies and Trucks and offer a wide selection of parts tools and accessories. RC Car Truck Buggy Parts For All Redcat Racing Vehicles. Blue aluminum servo saver - 1 set SKU: RCR1444
http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img090/rcr1444.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Aluminum-Se...item3f090b5916

All-or-Nothing 04-13-2011 05:51 AM

Meh...........nevermind it is for the Hurricane, Monsoon and Avalanche models.

But.....they might work on an Earthquake with a little massaging.

Dragonii 04-13-2011 07:28 AM

I think the "ULTRALITE" in the Nitro Ultralite Series dictates the heavy use of plastic parts. I would assume that it means they tried to keep them light weight.<div>
</div><div>That's the reason I went with the Avalanche. I looked at the Earthquake and felt that it was too much plastic. The Avalanche, Monsoon and Hurricane (Pro Series) are mostly aluminum, and most of the parts that are plastic can be upgraded.</div><div>
</div><div>I wish that Redcat would start offering more carbon fiber parts to help keep the weight down.</div>

masterhacker1989 04-13-2011 12:07 PM

I don't really care about weight my tmaxx is like 80% aluminum or different kinds of metal, Id do the same thing to my redcat, if I could find the parts to do it, not the suspension though, I don't like aluminum control arms, they are too damn expensive when you crash