RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   New Hurricane XTR help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10660266-new-hurricane-xtr-help.html)

Heli_nut 08-07-2011 05:37 PM

New Hurricane XTR help

Hey all, I just bought a Hurricane XTR and was breaking it in today.I was on my 3rd tank and just doing some 8's and such at our track. Everything was fine until I went to turn around and come back for a cool down etc. When I turned and tried to accelerate it was like the clutch was slipping. Some times it'll spin a little starting but slip after about 2'.

This is my first new r/c nitro and lasted 1 day? Anyone have any ideas? what about the "Diff" or "transfer case" that runs right off the motor. could that have something wrong? I'm going to call the ppl I bought it from tomorrow see what they say, although they are a 3 1/2 hr drive away, and the closest hobby shop.

In the meantime love to hear your guys thoughts.

ehroof 08-07-2011 08:07 PM

RE: New Hurricane XTR help

check to see if one of the grub screws in one of the drive cups came loose and is spinning on the spline of the pinion gear or center diff gear.

Heli_nut 08-08-2011 03:37 AM

Seems you were right the screw in the center diff was out almost flush with the case. I tightened it up but I'm sure all the gears are stripped. So now I need to rebuild the diff I guess. Not bad for 5 hours old.

Heli_nut 08-08-2011 04:13 AM

Well I'm sure the center diff is stripped..Hold the front wheels and turn the back and its just clicking/snapping away. And the other great thing is there is no stock on the diff gears. Anyone know where I can actually buy a set? I can only find some on ebay but they are in Australia.

Heli_nut 08-08-2011 08:31 AM

ok now with further inspecion...I'm pretty sure my clutch is gone, I see a spot on the clutch where it has a high spot and its wore quite a bit.

masterhacker1989 08-08-2011 09:41 AM

Ha the crappy redcat diffs strike again, you think they would fix the issue it just damages their reputation. anyways go and harass redcat about getting some new ones, they will probably send you a new set for free

Heli_nut 08-08-2011 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

Ha the crappy redcat diffs strike again, you think they would fix the issue it just damages their reputation. anyways go and harass redcat about getting some new ones, they will probably send you a new set for free

I'm not 100% its the diffs. I bought a clutches for it and if I get them tomorrow we will see what happens. she will spin tires for split second and then engine revs and car won't move. I took apart cleaned and was good for about 30 seconds and started same thing again.

Heli_nut 08-10-2011 04:31 AM

well its fixed. the pIn on the left front dog bone came lose and jammed on the upper shock bracket. that caused all 3 diffs to go. I think a defective dog bone from factory. now place I bought it from were awesome they gave me new clutch and diffs for free and no labor charge. Rc Pro are awesome, redcat not so much. I understand the hobby  but you would think would last the break in period.

masterhacker1989 08-10-2011 08:34 AM

These things happen, Ive seen brand new Emaxx's straight out the box have fried esc's, also slashes, I saw a Tmaxx that had a F'd up engine straight out the box, a customer bought it and wanted us tp break it in for them (i worked at a hobby store), all sorts of things. but redcat should really step up their qc process b4 they ship out a model. also they should <font size="6">
MAKE ALUMINUM STEERING BELL CRANKS FOR THE 8E SERIES</font>, The plastic ones are complete crap, Ive gone through a dozen or so sets they wear out alarmingly fast

Heli_nut 08-10-2011 12:16 PM

Well I took the dog bone out. I could push the pin out with my thumb. So what I did was get a stright pick from one of the sets u can buy, then hammered it though and cut the ends off with a dremel. Its not going anywhere I can tell u that. I couldn't move it with pliars so shouldn't come lose again. Hope this fix helps ppl in a jam!!