RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Solid rubber street tires? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10698403-solid-rubber-street-tires.html)

NewRageRC 09-02-2011 08:44 AM

Solid rubber street tires?

I got a Lighting EPXPro about a month ago and love the thing, but the tire life is just awful. On a mix of concrete and asphalt, the tires are bald after one battery and blow up on the 3rd or 4th battery. I got some drift tires and some PVC "tires," but the car handles like an overpowered skateboard(and they still don't really last all that long). It's a lot more fun to drive with the rubber tires, but Ican't justify $15+ per hour with the car.

So.. I'm looking for one of 2 things. A wheel/rubber tire combo (I really hate gluing) that's dirt cheap (as in $5 or less) or a solid rubber tire. Anyone have a source?

AllAboutFunHobbies 09-02-2011 09:25 PM

RE: Solid rubber street tires?

They weren't made to run on a mix of concrete and asphalt. You will never get good tire life on that. Imex makes or made some solid tires, but it won't matter they'll shred too. Those cars and tires are made for smooth concrete or carpet. My suggestion is to find the proper place to drive the car, like a concrete parking lot.

masterhacker1989 09-03-2011 07:20 AM

Make it into a buggy, thats what I would do

nitrosportsandrunner 09-03-2011 08:20 AM

i put a set of tires from hobbypartz.com on mine. under $20 shipped for a set of 4 rims/tires and they lasted at least 4 battery packs(lipo) before they started to show wear.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/51c00-02020-green.html

AllAboutFunHobbies 09-03-2011 01:58 PM

Holy smokes. Take your butt to your local B&M Shop and ask them what they would suggest for running on that type of pavement. I don't care what you put on it, your not going to get any run time out of a set of tires on a street car running on a mix of Asphalt and concrete. F.Y.I. It's the asphalt that's jacking your tires up. You need to get a good set of tires and stay off the asphalt and if you're running brushless and spinning the tires, because the slippers not set up right then forget it on the pavement also.

You need to

1.) Get a GOOD set of street tires ($20 china tires aren't gonna cut it, we carry those tires direct import from china and they are deffinatly bottom of the barrel as far as good street tires go)

2.) reset your slipper clutch so it works the way it's supposed to

3.) Stop peeling out and blowing crazy doughnuts (ya know you are, every one does it) and drive it right.

4.) if do those things your street tires will last a long time. I have a set of street tires on my lightning EPX brushless that have lasted me about 4 months

lakesrunner 09-03-2011 03:13 PM

Spray some Silicone spray on your tires, you might drift like never before.

nitrosportsandrunner 09-03-2011 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Holy smokes. Take your butt to your local B&M Shop and ask them what they would suggest for running on that type of pavement. I don't care what you put on it, your not going to get any run time out of a set of tires on a street car running on a mix of Asphalt and concrete. F.Y.I. It's the asphalt that's jacking your tires up. You need to get a good set of tires and stay off the asphalt and if you're running brushless and spinning the tires, because the slippers not set up right then forget it on the pavement also.

You need to

1.) Get a GOOD set of street tires ($20 china tires aren't gonna cut it, we carry those tires direct import from china and they are deffinatly bottom of the barrel as far as good street tires go)

3.) Stop peeling out and blowing crazy doughnuts (ya know you are, every one does it) and drive it right.

4.) if do those things your street tires will last a long time. I have a set of street tires on my lightning EPX brushless that have lasted me about 4 months
the lightening doesnt have a slipper!
but if you got the version with an ezrun 35amp system, you can check to see if the punch control setting is at its lowest.

NewRageRC 09-03-2011 06:55 PM

Turning the punch and brake all the way down did make a pretty big difference. I also found a parking lot with newer, smoother concrete that helps. I'm not really interested in drifting, just got the "drift" tires to see what they were all about after going through 3 sets of rubber tires in 4 days.

AllAboutFunHobbies 09-03-2011 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

You need to

the lightening doesnt have a slipper!
but if you got the version with an ezrun 35amp system, you can check to see if the punch control setting is at its lowest.

Yes thank You that's what I ment. I was working on another car and not thinking about what I was saying. Thank you for the correction.

AllAboutFunHobbies 09-03-2011 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: NewRageRC

Turning the punch and brake all the way down did make a pretty big difference. I also found a parking lot with newer, smoother concrete that helps. I'm not really interested in drifting, just got the ''drift'' tires to see what they were all about after going through 3 sets of rubber tires in 4 days.

F.Y.I. If you do put the drift tires on, don't forget to canter all four wheels in almost all the way or else it won't drift properly, it'll just slide around like a duck on ice. You canter them in so that you have a more controlled drift around the corner and the rubber rings can catch the pavement when you come out of the turn and want to go straight. Drifting kicks a** if you can get good enough at it.

NewRageRC 09-06-2011 06:08 AM

Canter? I've made some adjustments to the toe and camber and it's much more manageable with drift tires but I don't know what canter is.

I would really like to find some solid rubber tires still though. I'm going to be driving on concrete and asphalt, period. It's a toy and I play with it around the house. Drifting is fun enough but I want to drive fast sometimes, too.

AllAboutFunHobbies 09-06-2011 07:06 AM

same as camber.