RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   1/24 sumo truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10772141-1-24-sumo-truggy.html)

bigjoe623 10-18-2011 05:11 PM

1/24 sumo truggy

1 Attachment(s)
I have just purchased a sumo truggy and it had a broken steering knuckle out of the box. I ran it once on carpet noticed it was pulling to one side. Tried adjusting trim with no luck. Found the bottom pin in the steering knuckle was broken. I contacted redcat warranty and they wanted pictures to see the broken part and verify it had not been run. Sent pics of truggy and steering knuckle. Warranty was denied because they said it had obviously ran more than i said. The way they could tell was the dirty driveshafts. I blew up the picture and it appears that i have picked up ONE strand of my wifes hair off of the carpet. Any body else have any issues with broken steering knuckles on the sumo? I really dont want to pay $8.00 for the part plus $10.00 shipping for a problem that is just going continue. If it breaks in the box hows it going to hold up to actual use and is the rest of it any better quality than the steering knuckle. It really is a shame having to pay that for something you did'nt break. Thank You Redcat.

nitrosportsandrunner 10-18-2011 05:38 PM

RE: 1/24 sumo truggy

is it the steering knuckle, or the pin thats broken?

bigjoe623 10-18-2011 05:59 PM

Its one molded piece. If you look at the picture, there is a pin that was molded onto the bottom of the knuckle that sits in a hole on the lower arm. Similar to a lower ball joint.

nitrosportsandrunner 10-18-2011 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: bigjoe623

Its one molded piece. If you look at the picture, there is a pin that was molded onto the bottom of the knuckle that sits in a hole on the lower arm. Similar to a lower ball joint.
ah, OK.

well, on the one hand i understand your frustration.
on the other, i can see why redcat didnt warrenty. while you say you got it out of the box like that, it does look used due to the hair.

now, i had a sumo and know how little use it takes to get hair around the dogbone. the sumo practially attracts dust and hair to it!

I could get you the parts you need for $10.20 shipped(my cost)

rccrazer 10-19-2011 08:43 AM

i have heard of it happening to others but, i personaly have never had that issue. i have only paid for a rear diff gear and that was my fault. i have driven the wheels of that thing! almost litteraly!. i have to tighten it up on the LF after about every hour of run time.

masterhacker1989 10-19-2011 04:51 PM

Redcat seems to be getting crappy lately, with their Warranty and other things (ive had some buddies have problems) I was looking at getting a dunerunner, but now im thinking of going with the Hpi baja instead, And I mean with in the last 6-8 months. I like my earthquake and all, but I don't know about getting another redcat till they get their crap together

Jacekj 11-29-2011 01:20 PM

Ihave same issue with 2 SUMO trucks. Steering Knuckle is a weak spot. They have aluminum knucles at 69.99a pair or you can make your own if you have some soldering skils and brass tubing (can get this in any hobby store)
Please check my post with pictures here :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10834762/tm.htm

Jack

Dads like rc too 12-25-2011 07:48 AM

We just un-boxed two of the truggies this morning for xmas.  I have to say I'm very impressed so far.  I've read all the posts about durabilty and what not but I expected to make some repairs down the road.  Honestly for what the upgrades cost I look foward to digging into theses little cars in the future.  I'd say they were worth the money for what you get out of the box.