RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   new owner of a volcano pro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10878978-new-owner-volcano-pro.html)

bdyman 12-27-2011 08:17 PM

new owner of a volcano pro

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...2-27182843.jpg

hello, iam new and i got my first redcat truck on xmas, and i must say i love the design, the adjustablity, and brushless power, i have owned traxxas and still do but i seem to be having a problem with the truck its buggy at certain throttle points, reverse and full throttle but if i ease into the throttle the truck flies handles awesome too

so what could be the problem

nitrosportsandrunner 12-27-2011 08:23 PM

RE: new owner of a volcano pro

could be a radio issue...
1st, id try re-calibrating the ESC to the radio.
It could be that the throttle trim is a bit off.

I have the same truck. Its pretty good for the price, i mean you cant buy a 4x4 brushless traxxas for under $200...lol

Have you added some fuel tubing to the drive cups to cushion the dogbones?

It also helps to move the steering and camber links to the hole closed to the hub. this will put less stress on them. as you can imagine, the further out on the hub the arm is placed, the more stress the hub takes.

bdyman 12-27-2011 08:28 PM

no ya cant or any other brand out there for under 200 bucks, so far i really like the redcat and im going to do that and readjust the suspension, now im not familiar with red cats esc, so how do i do what you said to do on the esc??

nitrosportsandrunner 12-27-2011 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: bdyman

no ya cant or any other brand out there for under 200 bucks, so far i really like the redcat and im going to do that and readjust the suspension, now im not familiar with red cats esc, so how do i do what you said to do on the esc??
does your ESC say ezrun on it? Or did you get an older version with a big blue ESC with no fan on it?

bdyman 12-28-2011 08:25 PM

yesez run on it, and it has a cooling fan
and i readjusted the suspension it is better, still having a problem with the full throttle but i still love it lol

nitrosportsandrunner 12-28-2011 08:30 PM

yes ez run on it, and it has a cooling fan
and i readjusted the suspension it is better, still having a problem with the full throttle but i still love it lol
for the ezrun
have radio on
push the button on the ESC while you turn it on
release button 1 second after turning the ESC on

hit the button a second time(this sets neutral)(1 beep)
pull full throttle on the radio and hit the button a 3rd time(sets full throttle)(2 beeps)

push full brake and push the button a 4th time(sets brake/reverse)(3 beeps)

give the ESC a couple seconds and now everything should be set. Thats how you calibrate the ESC.

bdyman 12-29-2011 05:12 PM

holy crap!!! thanks so much for that info dude, i really appreciate that

bdyman 12-31-2011 09:16 AM

ok did the reprogramming it did help out allot, but now i just got in the house wasnt even outside for 5 mins and the steering servo is responding from the controller, but its not turning the wheels nothing is broken nothing is binding i unplugged it from the reciever and i still have no steering control

what is wrong now did the servo take a ****??? oh and the reciever has a red light on if that helps

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 09:23 AM

ok did the reprogramming it did help out allot, but now i just got in the house wasnt even outside for 5 mins and the steering servo is responding from the controller, but its not turning the wheels nothing is broken nothing is binding i unplugged it from the reciever and i still have no steering control

what is wrong now did the servo take a ****??? oh and the reciever has a red light on if that helps
do you mean you can hear the servo, but it doesnt turn the wheels or its servo arm?
does it make any funny noises?
there should be a red light on the reciever, it means its getting signal from the radio.

the servo may have stripped a gear.

if so, fill out redcat's warrenty form.

also, i like to upgrade to these metal gear servos: http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg996r.html

bdyman 12-31-2011 09:45 AM

no noise its barley responding it responds when i adjust the trim but when i turn the wheel from the controller nothing happens
i dont understand this truck is brand new!!! and im having issues why??? i love the truck it handles awesome its fast but i just dont know

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 10:05 AM

no noise its barley responding it responds when i adjust the trim but when i turn the wheel from the controller nothing happens
i dont understand this truck is brand new!!! and im having issues why??? i love the truck it handles awesome its fast but i just dont know
OK, plug the wire from the ESC into channel #1 (the servo channel) and put the servo in channel #2
Then turn it on and see if the ESC responds when you turn the wheel on the radio.
if the throttle on the radio turns the servo and wheels, then the radio has an issue.

if it does, then the servo is bad.

If the ESC does not respond to the turning of the radio's wheel while its in the #1 spot on the Rx then it means the radio is not transmitting when you turn the wheel.

You can try re-binding the radio to the reciever : http://www.redcatracing.com/information/radioguide.html
on that page watch the 3rd video down and follow that process.

bdyman 12-31-2011 10:08 AM

im going to do that now and thanks for the help i really appreciate it

bdyman 12-31-2011 10:22 AM

ok so i reversed the cables, and nothing from the wheel when used as throttle, but throttle works the steering, so im going to rebind the truck sunday night when i get back to my house since im at the fiances for the weekend glad i have my ken block car to play around with until then

thanks so much for your help

one more quick question could i use any reciever and controller in the volcano

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 11:35 AM

ok so i reversed the cables, and nothing from the wheel when used as throttle, but throttle works the steering, so im going to rebind the truck sunday night when i get back to my house since im at the fiances for the weekend glad i have my ken block car to play around with until then

thanks so much for your help

one more quick question could i use any reciever and controller in the volcano
yes, you can use any other radio/reciever you want.

If rebinding does not solve the problem, then fill out the warrenty form on redcats site....and in the message box state that you did the rebinding and the swapping of cables and found that the servo is good and the steering function on the radio does not work.
I had the same thing happen to one of my redcat 2.4 radios....but it was after my son threw the radio on the ground[&:]

bdyman 12-31-2011 12:27 PM

well im going to look around probably going to go with the traxxas 2.4 ghz reciever can be had cheaply
but my questionis why am i having so many problems with a brand new truck

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 01:06 PM

well im going to look around probably going to go with the traxxas 2.4 ghz reciever can be had cheaply
but my question is why am i having so many problems with a brand new truck

I have had many of the same radio , also sold as flysky.
some of them have lasted me a long time, others failed very soon.
its a lower-quality 2.4 radio.
I like them cause you can get rx's for $10. so i have 3 truck bound to the same radio.
you can do the same with other 2.4 radios, but you wont find other 2.4 recievers for $10

With the tests you have done, i can say with 98% certainty that the issue is the radio iteslf. and redcat will replace it if you just bought the model.

I had a traxxas VXL speed control fry the second day i had it. and the vxl's are good speed controls. When a company makes tons of a product, there will be some get threw that are not 100%. Thats why andy good RC company will provide a warrenty.

bdyman 12-31-2011 04:09 PM

well the traxxas radios are cheap, i can pick them up for 50 bucks, im on a budget so i have to spend accordingly when i can i have had traxxas trucks for a while now and never a problem with the radios
when i get back home sunday night i will try the re link process if that dont work then i will buy the traxxas 2.4 ghz

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 04:15 PM

i have been known to mix and match electronics:D

i had a volcano last winter that i put the traxxas vxl system in cause its waterproof.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YeexXsaPQ&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ& index=31&feature=plcp[/youtube]

bdyman 12-31-2011 05:20 PM

i love it!!! and i know the truck is awesome, i think its the electronics that are ****ty
here is what i found on ebay let me know what ya think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-DX3...item5647d415c6

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 05:28 PM

i love it!!! and i know the truck is awesome, i think its the electronics that are ****ty
here is what i found on ebay let me know what ya think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-DX3...item5647d415c6
cant go wrong with spektrum stuff. I dont use it myself, but only cause i am cheap. anytime i get $100 to spend on RC, i look for good deals on used models...hard for me to drop $100 on a radio system.
but it is high end, and you get what you pay for.
the radio and servo in the volcano are OK. The ESC/motor are very good tho. I have run the same system in many other models of mine. Run the same esc/motor in my tamiya DF-02 right now.

I think in my days i have had 1 ezrun ESC go bad on me. But i have had 4 vxl ESC's go bad. granted, 3 of those i sent to traxxas and they repaired them.

still, i do like redcat's value. to get a traxxas that would have the same speed you would have to spend $100 more. Personally, id rather spend the extra $100 in upgrades.

I have a used backdraft 8e coming next tuesday. i got it for a very good price. I plan on buying many of the alloy upgrades and T-Bone racing bumpers over the winter. Its gonna be all decked out and ready for serious bashing by next spring[8D]

yesturday my buddy and I drove on a frozen lake. i had my volcano, he had a slash 4x4. at the end of the day(hard bashing in 25 degree weather with 2s lipo packs) we both went home with a broken rear hub. So, his $300+ slash faired no better than my under $200 volcano.

Money isnt everything, but if i can have the same fun for less cash, then thats the way ill go.

bdyman 12-31-2011 06:06 PM

and i totaly agree, comparing the volcano to the emaxx brushless traxxas doesnt even give the steel axels, nor the coil over shocks, and i do like the upgraded carbon fiber parts for the volcano, guess i have been spoiled on traxxas equipment, and now having a different brand im nit picking, but for the 5 mins i was outside testing the truck it took the bumps in the road and jumped onto the front lawn with no problems

the bodies are thicker too i like that for the bumps at the track and bashing at home so the link i posted it will work out just fine then no problems

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 07:44 PM

and i totaly agree, comparing the volcano to the emaxx brushless traxxas doesnt even give the steel axels, nor the coil over shocks, and i do like the upgraded carbon fiber parts for the volcano, guess i have been spoiled on traxxas equipment, and now having a different brand im nit picking, but for the 5 mins i was outside testing the truck it took the bumps in the road and jumped onto the front lawn with no problems

the bodies are thicker too i like that for the bumps at the track and bashing at home so the link i posted it will work out just fine then no problems
yes, the dx3e is a good radio for the money. If you can spare a few extra bucks, the next model up has model memory..
that means you can buy another reciever and have 2 models run off the same transmitter.
also, that package comes with a servo...so you can upgrade the radio and servo at the same time!

bdyman 01-02-2012 09:21 PM

well the rebinding worked, but i ordered the spektrum system so when it comes in ill post pics, and thats it!!l lol no more upgrades for a while the fiance will kill me lol

ThePenguins 01-03-2012 11:22 AM

Like nitro said, the 2.4 RXs that come in the redcat models are cheap and fail pretty easily. I had the same thing as you described happen 3 times in a mini-t that I run with the FlySky 3 ch transmitter. I found a small break in two of my servo wires that caused it to short and burn up that channel on the RX, so check those before you dump any $ into a decent system. I have been running the same RX in it since i fixed the break. Can't go wrong with $7.50 receivers that fit in anything.

Also, the spectrum should do great. I don't recommend the traxxas 2.4ghz. The older model had poor range, the newer one looks kinda neat if you feel like plugging an Iphone into it?

bdyman 01-03-2012 06:32 PM

well i bought the spektrum already and it shipped today so ill post pics of the whole set up when i get it and install it