RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   New Volcano S30 RedCat Racing Off Road Truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10884040-new-volcano-s30-redcat-racing-off-road-truck.html)

ClintonBrookwell 12-30-2011 11:32 PM

New Volcano S30 RedCat Racing Off Road Truck

Hey guysimreally new to the RC world just ordered my first one today pretty excited! Just have a few questions that i just cant find! i just got a <span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Volcano S30 RedCat Racing 1/10 Off Road Truck and was wondering if the servos were waterproof? If not what is a good brand or type to go with that will work with this truck? And one other question is what so good spare parts to just keep around? Thanks in advance for the help cant wait to start my RC Collection... <br style="mso-special-character: line-break" /><br style="mso-special-character: line-break" /></span></p>

nitrosportsandrunner 12-31-2011 07:22 AM

RE: New Volcano S30 RedCat Racing Off Road Truck

stock servos are not waterproof.

you can either make them waterproof (plenty of youtube vids to show how)

or buy traxxas 2075 waterproof servos.

If you plan to run in water, wrap the reciever in a ballon as well. the 2.4 radio/rx that redcat uses dont like even a drop of water!

make sure to pre-heat the motor before starting with a hair dryer. a fresh motor can be hard to pull over. once its broken in you wont need to pre-heat unless its really cold outside.

check out the "how to" vids on redcat's site.

as far as spare parts, maybe some dogbones...rear hubs and steering hubs. those are all fairly cheap so its easy to keep extras around.

maybe the spur gear also...in case you land the truck with the throttle wide open.

Hope that helps some. I have the brushless version of the volcano and I love it!

ShredderGuy 12-31-2011 07:56 AM

I used to break the steering hubs on mine like crazy.<div></div><div>When you get the truck move the linkage to the inner hole as close to the hub as you can. It will save you a lot of head ache.</div><div></div><div>I would get the following for sure.</div><div></div><div>Extra Glow Plugs</div><div></div><div>Front Steering Hubs</div><div></div><div>Rear Hubs</div><div></div><div>Font/Rear Dog Bones</div><div></div><div>Steel Spur Gear</div><div></div><div>I always had those items in my field box at all times. I also kept a bunch of misc. screws in it also. It always drove me nuts to break something cheap and not have it on hand and have to wait 3 or 4 days to get a replacement. So the best way is to just buy when will most likely break.</div><div></div><div>I have only ever bought from the shop I listed links from and they have always treated me well and have excellent phone, and online service. I am sure other shops carry the same stuff with great service also though.</div><div></div><div>Also go through your truck before you run and it make sure all screws are tight. You may want to put a dab of blue lock tite on some key screws.</div><div></div><div>I wish I would not have sold mine this summer. I kind of miss nitro.</div><div></div><div>Enjoy!</div>

ClintonBrookwell 12-31-2011 10:21 PM

Sweet thanks guys for the help im going to just start ordering parts just so i have them on hand! Ill prob just get the waterproof servo too that way i know its done right! thanks again

im_a_rcav8r 01-01-2012 05:50 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><font size="3"><font face="Calibri">As Shredderguy said, check your screws!<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>He has a lot of good points but you will learn most from experience.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>I have been running R/C for 20 years and I still see things I had never seen before.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Blue thread lock will be your best friend.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>You can get it at the hardware store or auto parts store. (don’t use the red if you ever want to get your screw back out) Any metal screw that goes into metal threads should have blue thread lock on it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Screws that go into plastic usually have enough resistance from the plastic that they will not back out.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Your truck will make a lot of vibration and you will lose screws.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>I suggest you buy an assortment of metric screws and nuts to have on hand.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Nothing more frustrating than not being able to run because of a missing 2.5mm screw!

</p></font></font></p>

ClintonBrookwell 01-01-2012 10:42 PM

Will do ill get some screws on order! Ok so now i have another question? Is there a company that makes a full roll over cage for the volcano s30? if not have you guys built one yourself and what kind of material did you use? Saw a sweet cage some guy builtfor another modeland thought it would be a good idea! Thanks again guys!