RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Upgrade Volcano S30 Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10908784-upgrade-volcano-s30-engine.html)

Kristoffer_E 01-14-2012 02:30 PM

Upgrade Volcano S30 Engine

I've had a Volcano S30 for several months now, and have run a few gallons of fuel through it. The stock SH .18 is still running strong, but lacks low-end torque (I've seen too many vids of people with Savages pulling wheelies...). With Redcat's engine replacement program, Ican get an SH .28 for ~$90 when my .18 dies. Ican't, however, seem to find dimensions for the engine mounts. I'm fine with drilling the chassis to accept the new engine mounts, but Ijust don't know if it will fit. Also, will the power of a .28 destroy the driveline, or would it be able to handle it? I'm trying to decide if it would be practical and/or possible to put either an SH .21 or a .28 in my Volcano, but I've never seen either engine in person and Ican't find useful measurements online. Also, redcats seem to be notorious for having weak drivelines, but I've hardly broken anything and Idrive like a madman (broke one dogbone after rolling down a 60 degree embankent for 50+ feet, and bent the chassis a little when my brother accellerated into a curb). Granted, the body and the tops of the shock towers look like hell (thanks to the above-mentioned rolling down a cliff and sliding 10 feet upside down on asphalt without the body on), but nothing's ever really broke on me.

So, I'm confident Icould mount the engine in the truck provided it will physically fit, but will a .21 or .28 wreak the driveline? Also, what will be the ramifications on the already-short runtime with a big-block engine, and is there any larger fuel tank Ican replace the stock one with without zip-tying it into place? Lastly, with a monster engine and RWD only, I'd imagine wheelies would be pretty impressive.

If anyone has tried this, or anything similar, what are your thoughts about the feasibility of a big-block Volcano?

jeffie8696 01-14-2012 02:45 PM

RE: Upgrade Volcano S30 Engine

Ifind the stock SH18 is very powerful for this truck. Ithink the 21 or 28 would be way too much and fitment would be problematic. The 21 and 28 are big block engines and the 18 is a small block.

Kristoffer_E 01-14-2012 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696
The 21 and 28 are big block engines and the 18 is a small block.
Yeah, so the chassis would need to be drilled to accept the larger engine mounts. I've seen videos of a CEN .26 in a Volcano (see below), so I'd assume that a .21 SH should fit, even if the larger .28 does not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvoJEa0GxU

nitrosportsandrunner 01-14-2012 03:10 PM

yeh, the .21 or .28 would need some work to fit....and would very likely cause stripped spurs and damaged diffs.

There are other .18's to consider. Many speak highly of the OS .18 motors.

but as for wheelies, well the volcano is not a chassis that will wheely even easy even with a power upgrade.

the chassis is very low.....compare the motor hight off the ground to that of a savage!

I have the electric volcano brushless.....most know that a brushless system on lipo puts out as much....if not more torque than really good nitro motors.

I have run my volcano on 3s lipo and it still didnt wheely much. again, compare the center of gravity to that of a savage or t-maxx and it should become appereant why it doesnt wheely like they do.

I could probly get my volcano to wheely if i put larger tires on it, ones that got awsome traction and provided more rotating mass (the spinning of the front tires aid in getting the front end up, thus bigger tires will help)

If you really want some wheelies, i would suggest messing with the suspension settings. if you set the rear low, and the front high it may aid in getting the front tires to lift off the ground. Also, if you could find a smaller pinion, or larger spur that would provide more lower end power.

Kristoffer_E 01-15-2012 08:08 AM

What you said about the suspension makes a lot of sense now Ithink of it, and the damaged diffs are what Iwas worried about. Even with a metal spur, I'm afraid that much power would just break something else in that center tranny.

I'll look into suspension tuning as well as a clutch bell with a couple less teeth, and see what happens.

Dads like rc too 01-15-2012 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Kristoffer_E

What you said about the suspension makes a lot of sense now Ithink of it, and the damaged diffs are what Iwas worried about. Even with a metal spur, I'm afraid that much power would just break something else in that center tranny.

I'll look into suspension tuning as well as a clutch bell with a couple less teeth, and see what happens.

also keep in mind that it may not be too bad fitting the new engine but also think about ther servos. I'm pretty sure the .28 is a slide carb which means your servo in it's stock position won't work. This is not the worst thing in the world and actually a lot of people get enjoyment out of these kind of engineering modifications. But in the end you'll most likely be replacing your stock diffs with heavier one's. Modifying some kind of upper deck to move the servo's into the right position. You'll want a larger fuel tank. Probably end up adding a second set of brakes. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of things out. Some people would rather do it this way and have more of a one of a kind truck, "most 10th scales have small blocks". When your finished it's your masterpiece. Others would simply relace the stock motor with an OS motor like Nitrosports suggested and call it a day.

Kristoffer_E 01-16-2012 03:14 PM

I'd really enjoy the challenge of reworking the truck to use a larger, slide-carb engine, but Ireally don't want to be trashing dogbones, drive cups, and all manner of gears every timeIgo to drive.

On an unrelated note, I've also had some problems tuning the engine. Its properly broken in, and runs ok, and starts ok. If Istart it at neutral throttle (no gas, no breaks) the engine starts and will idle ~20 sec. But if Itry to accellerate, the engine will quit.. If Istart it at >50% throttle, it runs fine, drives fine, and I'll go and hit the breaks and spin around, and then power out of the spin no problem. So if the engine runs at high rpms, then Ilet off the throttle and hit it again, it goes fine. But if Istart it, and then try to accelerate, the engine quits. Ican't figure out what the difference is. The HSNseems good; at high throttle it sounds like other Volcano S30s that alishanmao character drives on his youtube vids, goes fairly quick, and still makes some smoke under accelleration. When trying to launch from a stand-still, however, the engine rpms suddenly decrease, and then it revs up and goes, but it takes a second to start moving.

The engine quitting when Itry to accellerate from idle makes me think it would be too lean, but then Ipinch the fuel line close to the carb, and it takes well over 10 seconds to die, increasing rpm slightly over that time, which makes me think too rich. Idon't really know where to go from here...

Thanks,

Kristoffer

EDIT: Would the fact it is 20 degrees farenheit have anything to do with me being unable to tune it properly? I've always had the problem with it taking a second to start moving, but the whole thing with the engine quitting is new since Istarted running in snow.

Dads like rc too 01-16-2012 03:42 PM

I'd really enjoy the challenge of reworking the truck to use a larger, slide-carb engine, but Ireally don't want to be trashing dogbones, drive cups, and all manner of gears every timeIgo to drive.

On an unrelated note, I've also had some problems tuning the engine. Its properly broken in, and runs ok, and starts ok. If Istart it at neutral throttle (no gas, no breaks) the engine starts and will idle ~20 sec. But if Itry to accellerate, the engine will quit.. If Istart it at >50% throttle, it runs fine, drives fine, and I'll go and hit the breaks and spin around, and then power out of the spin no problem. So if the engine runs at high rpms, then Ilet off the throttle and hit it again, it goes fine. But if Istart it, and then try to accelerate, the engine quits. Ican't figure out what the difference is. The HSNseems good; at high throttle it sounds like other Volcano S30s that alishanmao character drives on his youtube vids, goes fairly quick, and still makes some smoke under accelleration. When trying to launch from a stand-still, however, the engine rpms suddenly decrease, and then it revs up and goes, but it takes a second to start moving.

The engine quitting when Itry to accellerate from idle makes me think it would be too lean, but then Ipinch the fuel line close to the carb, and it takes well over 10 seconds to die, increasing rpm slightly over that time, which makes me think too rich. Idon't really know where to go from here...

Thanks,

Kristoffer

EDIT: Would the fact it is 20 degrees farenheit have anything to do with me being unable to tune it properly? I've always had the problem with it taking a second to start moving, but the whole thing with the engine quitting is new since Istarted running in snow.

try adjusting you low speed needle. If your running 10 seconds on the pinch then your way too rich. Your engine is flooded with fuel at low RPM's. Turn it in until your 3-4 seconds on the pinch test. You should idle for 20-25 seconds then try a full throtle acceleration. This will let the fuel build up in the crank. If it's set right it will leave the line clean, if it's too rich it will bog but run if you flutter the throttle. If it's too lean it will just stall.

<br type="_moz" />

Kristoffer_E 01-16-2012 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too
If it's too lean it will just stall.
Istart the truck, LEAVE THE IGNITOR ON, and hit the gas, and the engine just stops. If Istart it at partial thottle and hold the truck while Ipull off the starter, then it runs like a champ until its allowed to idle for 3+ seconds, and then when Igo to accellerate it bogs a little but runs. Ithink factory default on the LSNis like 2 1/2 turns out, mine is darn close to that, (so farily rich on the LSN), but it still basically stalls when Itry to go from a complete stop...

Dads like rc too 01-16-2012 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too
If it's too lean it will just stall.
Istart the truck, LEAVE THE IGNITOR ON, and hit the gas, and the engine just stops. If Istart it at partial thottle and hold the truck while Ipull off the starter, then it runs like a champ until its allowed to idle for 3+ seconds, and then when Igo to accellerate it bogs a little but runs. Ithink factory default on the LSNis like 2 1/2 turns out, mine is darn close to that, (so farily rich on the LSN), but it still basically stalls when Itry to go from a complete stop...

if it's bogging down but will recover by letting off the throttle it's probably too rich. Turn the LSN in about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and try it out.

Kristoffer_E 01-16-2012 04:49 PM

I'll try that tomorrow. What worries me is that if Ijust start the truck, and then hit the gas, it instantly dies. Ihave to hold the throttle while starting, and then it will run, only bogging after idling for awhile. The bogging means its righ, Isuppose, but what about the instant dieing immediately after starting? Does this not mean it is already too lean?

Mpower25 01-18-2012 10:56 AM

Hi... mi brother put the o.s tz .18 in the redcat tornado s30 and never screw up a spur gear or something, verryyyyyyyyy fast!

in my shockwave (pretty much the same chassis) I put the big block axial .28 engine. you need to buy a adjustable engine mounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKB0N...p;feature=plcp

nitrosportsandrunner 01-18-2012 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Mpower25

Hi... mi brother put the o.s tz .18 in the redcat tornado s30 and never screw up a spur gear or something, verryyyyyyyyy fast!

in my shockwave (pretty much the same chassis) I put the big block axial .28 engine. you need to buy a adjustable engine mounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKB0N...4&feature=plcp
dude thats insane! That kinda motor belongs in a savage or large MT truck. Looks like it only just fits on the tornado chassis. Its clear in the vid you have WAY more torque than you can even use!
Very sweet.

Mpower25 01-18-2012 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Mpower25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKB0N...p;feature=plcp
dude thats insane! That kinda motor belongs in a savage or large MT truck. Looks like it only just fits on the tornado chassis. Its clear in the vid you have WAY more torque than you can even use!
Very sweet.
yeap! actually that engine axial is the same owner of hpi engines. the axial .28 spec 2 is like 100 dollars in amazon, great engine. tomorrow i cand find for you the adjustable engine mount, then you need to convert the rotary carb to slide carb. the pipe you can get one in ebay for the hpi savage 4.6

here it is the adjustable engine mount

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-MOUNT...item4cfdad105b

Kristoffer_E 01-18-2012 03:26 PM

That .28 is just nuts!!! With the right gearing, you could get MASSIVE bottom-end; it's already crazy enough!

When you say "convert the rotary carb to slide carb," do you mean just buy a different carburator, or actually modify the stock one? Also, Iwonder if the SH .28 would bolt up just the same as the Axial, because I've had great luck with my SH .18, and Ican get the .28 for ~$90 with Redcat's engine replacement program.

As for the pipe, what would happen if Iused the stock tuned pipe on my truck, and just bought a header that will fit the new engine? Would the pipe (designed for my SH .18) not be of the proper size/shape for a larger engine?

Mpower25 01-18-2012 07:31 PM

That .28 is just nuts!!! With the right gearing, you could get MASSIVE bottom-end; it's already crazy enough!

When you say "convert the rotary carb to slide carb," do you mean just buy a different carburator, or actually modify the stock one? Also, Iwonder if the SH .28 would bolt up just the same as the Axial, because I've had great luck with my SH .18, and Ican get the .28 for ~$90 with Redcat's engine replacement program.

As for the pipe, what would happen if Iused the stock tuned pipe on my truck, and just bought a header that will fit the new engine? Would the pipe (designed for my SH .18) not be of the proper size/shape for a larger engine?

the same carb you modifed the linkage to work on the servo. about the fit with the SH i don't know but for the same price you get brand new axial .28.

the pipe savage x 4.6 is very cheap.