RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   metal spur gear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10948841-metal-spur-gear.html)

triumph 67 02-07-2012 05:33 PM

metal spur gear

do they sale a metal spur gear for the caldera 10e? looked around did not find one.

rccrazer 02-07-2012 05:41 PM

RE: metal spur gear

i would leave it stock with the .8 module gears, they're cheep, fast, quiet, and i've never had to replace one. if you absolutley must have steel the ones for the volcano epx pro and others based on that same chassis will fit. but you will also have to go to a .6 mod pinion as well (.6 mod is also called metric 48 pitch, not the same as 48 pitch, or tamiya pitch).

JoePit 02-12-2012 05:58 PM

I can't find the info but if your pinion gear is ANYTHING but steel that will need upgrade as well. I upgraded to steel on my Aftershock 8E and it would eat a brass pinion in 15 minutes. Come on Redcat if you're going to sell us a steel spur let people know what that will do to their pinions. Robinson Racing and Losi have some real nice steel pinion gears. Since switching to steel my problems have gone away and the car is super quiet.

Dads like rc too 02-12-2012 06:46 PM

I agree with rccrazer.  Don't just jump on the steel spur gear bandwagon unless you think there is a good reason for it.  If your lash is correct your plastic gear will last along time.  There will always be circumstances where a good crash will move your motor and you'll wind up with a chewed up spur, but even with the steel gear, if left un-checked it will destroy the pinion or other drivetrain parts.  If your constantly replacing spur gears, investigate a little further and find out why.  I have both steel and plastic in different trucks and the plastic one's have less drag and will last just as long.  The steel gear in my Monsoon was so hard that instead of stripping, two teeth came clean off in different spots from some hard landings off a ramp.  Either way if I had a plastic spur it would have stripped, the steel broke.  Hard impacts are going to do damage.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-13-2012 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: rccrazer

i would leave it stock with the .8 module gears, they're cheep, fast, quiet, and i've never had to replace one. if you absolutley must have steel the ones for the volcano epx pro and others based on that same chassis will fit. but you will also have to go to a .6 mod pinion as well (.6 mod is also called metric 48 pitch, not the same as 48 pitch, or tamiya pitch).

the epx pro's spurs will fit the caldera??? I thought the caldera/8e's/shredders all shared the same chassis and were not compatible with any of the epx chassis parts.

but as mentioned above, steel spur's are loud....will require a stronger pinon gear....and if the ESC is tuned (punch control setting) then the stock spur will be just fine.