RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Changing gear ratios in Caldera 10e? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10959865-changing-gear-ratios-caldera-10e.html)

jbain2 02-15-2012 05:53 AM

Changing gear ratios in Caldera 10e?

Modified this post. I am looking for spur and pinion gear options for the Caldera. I am looking for a lower gear ratio than the almost 4 that the stock setup provides. Any suggestions? Thanks.

pede_187 02-15-2012 09:04 AM

RE: Changing gear ratios in Caldera 10e?

ORIGINAL: jbain2

I recently installed the traxxas velineon motor in my caldera. The stock setup that traxxas uses appears to be very different with the spur and pinion. Does anyone know if there is a comparable spur gear with the correct pitch that I can put into my caldera so that I can use the traxxas pinion(s) and take full advantage of the velineon motor? Thanks.
I mean there's really not any advantage of using traxxas pinions with the traxxas motor. The Caldera pinion it looks like is either 32p or Mod1 which means the teeth are much thicker than the 48p traxxas gears you would be using.

jbain2 02-15-2012 11:19 AM

Changing the gear ratio allows me to modify the speed. If I am stuck with the redcat spur gear 51T and the redcat pinion 13T, I don't have any flexibility. I am really looking to change my gear ratio to increase speed. I can see the difference in pitch and thickness. Just trying to determine my options. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: pede_187

ORIGINAL: jbain2

I recently installed the traxxas velineon motor in my caldera. The stock setup that traxxas uses appears to be very different with the spur and pinion. Does anyone know if there is a comparable spur gear with the correct pitch that I can put into my caldera so that I can use the traxxas pinion(s) and take full advantage of the velineon motor? Thanks.
I mean there's really not any advantage of using traxxas pinions with the traxxas motor. The Caldera pinion it looks like is either 32p or Mod1 which means the teeth are much thicker than the 48p traxxas gears you would be using.

triumph 67 02-20-2012 05:35 PM

I am putting a 15t pinion in to see what happends but now i got a new hw 4000kv motor going in as well.

Dads like rc too 02-20-2012 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: triumph 67

I am putting a 15t pinion in to see what happends but now i got a new hw 4000kv motor going in as well.

I have a 15t in my son's. Big difference from the 13t. Then swap the battery from a 7.2v to a 8.4v or 3s lipo and hang on! You won't believe how fast that truck will go!

JRockZ 02-21-2012 07:22 PM

Dads, arent you running to hot with the 15 and stock motor and esc? Mine runs was hot right now how it is completley stock: Heres a copy and paste of my explanation to someone i thought was going to help me with it but i did not hear back from them:

<font size="2" face="">as for my caldera 10E its completly stock never did anything to it sept drive it, jump it like 10-15ft in the air and break bodys like crazy LOL. Redcat sent me the HexFly replacement servo that lasted all of 5 mins (junk servo-used a used one i had instead) the only other thing ive done with it is take it apart for cleaning and to verify that every part moves and spins freely,, the only thing wrong with the truck other than the motor getting way to hot is I cant friggin break it!! Ha!!
Redcat said it maybe the esc but its forsure not that,,, it works fine,, the truck has no bottom end tourque and shutters a couple times then from there its just all out crazy fun, if i stop it in front of a 3 inch high curb and try flooring it to get up the curb it will just shutter and cog like it is way over geared but again the gears are still stock never replaced them so i dont know why its doing this but i'm guessing its the motor itself.Let me know your thoughtsplease.</font>
Im considering going down in tire size and putting some short course wheels and tires and a short course PROLINE body that wont easily shatter lol.Im hoping the lower tire height will get me backa lil bit of bottom end. I was going to try and go down on the pinion gear but the LHS's lowesttooth pinion gear is a 13T.

And pede yes the gears are 32P i verified that today.

Im wondering if any of the himoto cars/trucks or Exceed will work, ive not looked at what sizes they have.

jbain2 02-21-2012 07:45 PM

I ordered several pinions from Redcat (they are relatively cheap) with various number of teeth 15-21. I am going to try different combinations and see what happens. The Velineon motor as per traxxas can be set up with a gear ratio of 2.45:1. I plan to run 3S lipo. Cooling fans on my ESC and motor. I will let you know how it works out.

dentonrcdriver 02-21-2012 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: triumph 67

I have a 15t in my son's. Big difference from the 13t. Then swap the battery from a 7.2v to a 8.4v or 3s lipo and hang on! You won't believe how fast that truck will go!

I am suprised you didn't cook the 35A ESC that comes stock on it. What temp did it reach?

On the other hand, The only 3S lipo packs I've seen that would fit in the limited space of the caldera are usually under 1000 MAH. I doubt you could get more than 5 min run time, which would explain why you didn't cook the ESC :-)

Dads like rc too 02-22-2012 05:32 PM

First off, Denton I meant to say 2s lipo.  Don't know why I said 3s but thanks for catching that.  JRock, running the stock motor and esc have not been a problem with the 8.4v nihm.  Big difference in power!  The Caldera 10E I bought used, and the guy who owned it put short course wheels and tires on so this increased the low end a good bit.  That might be why he put the 15t pinion on it.  I put a 13t back on it the last spur gear change I did.  I know you guys are gonna hate me for this but I have no idea what the temp is.  When I bought it I only had nitro trucks at the time and knew nothing about electric.  I never knew heat was a problem until I started reading about it on here, and I figured by that time if I never had a problem with heat it's probably running ok.

JRockZ 02-22-2012 08:33 PM

Well Dad's if you can touch the motor and keep your thumb on it for more than 10 secondsthen your temps are fine and yes with the short course wheels and tires it will run cooler and have a touch more low end tourque.
Mine now over heats in the first couple mins of running it so whatever it is is getting worse or has to do with my recent esc change. i manually reprogramed the ESC today (not 100% sure i did it right but i think i did) and i cranked up the punch control and brought down the timing in hopes of it running a lil cooler and getting a touch more tourque on take off, it made a little difference but not much and its still over heating big time. Im afraid to shut off the Thermalprotection as i dont want the motor to frybuti cant think of much else to do to lower my motor temps. I guess i will try and makeit a short course as well, supposed to pick up some Slash wheels and tires that are on a beater roller im getting in the next few days they fit it perfect ive already tested them..

How do you guys have your ESC's set (if you know) maybe im missing something.
Mine is:
1. Running mode = Fwd/Rev w/brake
2. Drag brake= Stock setting 10%
3. Low VoltageShut off = 3.4V per cell
4. Punch=L8 &lt;&lt;L8 because icould not get L9 set bydoing it manually
5. Max Brake Force=75%
6. Max Reverse=75%
7. Inital Brake Force=20%
8. Neutral Range= Normal 9%
9. Timing=7.50<font size="4">&ordm;</font>
10. Overheat Protection= On

JRockZ 02-22-2012 08:35 PM

I"m killing the drag brake tonight it will be at 0% tomorrow, ive heard this can affect your your truck flys when you jump it,, so im going to test it out.  as well as see if that lowers temps any.

jbain2 02-24-2012 02:30 PM

So I just got my 3s Lipo's. What a difference from the 2s. I am running the traxxas velineon motor and esc with cooling fans over both. Haven't changed the pinions out yet (the set screw is a different size). Nice controlled wheelies are easy. This thing really flies now. I will see if I can get some speed data with a GPS.

tool667 01-16-2013 03:43 PM

I recently installed the 15t pinion gear I do not seem to notice any difference at all? Any thoughts?

nitrosportsandrunner 01-16-2013 04:18 PM

whenever you change the gearing, tire size, or motor KV....its a good idea to own a temp gun.
There are ones on ebay for as little as $20.
Used to be you only had one if you ran nitro.....but with the tech we now run on electrics a temp gun is a huge help.

If you are going for more speed, whether by gearing/motor/tire size a temp gun will let you know if you are going to toast stuff or not.

See, a brushless motor can run 150-160 degrees all day. But anything over 130 is too hot to keep your finger on. So you cant judge by touch.

Ive had a vxl motor upto 190 without it burning up. I dont reccomend that tho.

IMO, the safe zone for a brushless motor is 160 and under. For an ESC, I like to keep it under 150....Ideally more in the 120-130 range.

Temp guns are $20. The cheapest BL esc are $50, and same goes for the motor. Better to buy the temp gun then have to replace burnt up electronics!

Also, dont forget to take readings on different surfaces. Running on grass or rough surface will demand more amps than running on the road. Dont take readings on the pavement and assume the same setup is safe for offroad use.

Dont forget, its possible to UNDER-gear an RC as well. This will keep the motor spinning near max RPMs to much of the time. Tho it will put little strain on the motor, the constantly high RPMs will generate heat and require alot of amps. So even if gearing down or running smaller tires, take temp readings.

Ill say it again, if you want to run larger tires, different KV motor or gearing then take temp readings. Its not a bad idea to do this when moving upto 3s lipo as well.

I made temp gun in bold...LOL. Trying to make adjustments to your truck without one is gambling!

Dads like rc too 01-16-2013 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: tool667

I recently installed the 15t pinion gear I do not seem to notice any difference at all? Any thoughts?

just that two tooth difference without anything else will be a difference, it will be slight, but still a difference. With the 15 tooth you'll notice a higher top speed. With the 13, you'll notice the truck is more responsive do to the increased low end. It won't be like "OMG I can't believe the low end" but it will be noticeable.

lifeismuddy 01-22-2013 06:26 PM

we run and have customers running 3s on the caldera xb! dual motor fans and a larger 12 volt fan on esc with external bec and never have had an issue! crazy fast!!!! I have 1 customer running a 3s with no fan mods and has been like this since purchased in june of last year and says motor gets extremly hot but has yet to fry anything.

tool667 01-27-2013 05:10 PM

Hello everyone...

Ok so today I went ahead and replaced my main (spur) gear on my caldera 10e and after all back together and on my test run (which was no more than just a couple of minutes) I had chipped 2 teeth right off my new main gear. Any ideas on what Imay have done wrong. I thought Ihad made sure that the gear mesh was what I thought perfect, mabe not?

Ihave also notice that there seems to be alot of free play (can slide forward &amp; back) on the rear center drive shaft. Now I do not know if it has always been like this and/or if this is not nornal? Thanks in advance guys for your help...

lifeismuddy 01-27-2013 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: tool667

Hello everyone...

Ok so today I went ahead and replaced my main (spur) gear on my caldera 10e and after all back together and on my test run (which was no more than just a couple of minutes) I had chipped 2 teeth right off my new main gear. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong. I thought I had made sure that the gear mesh was what I thought perfect, mabe not?

I have also notice that there seems to be alot of free play (can slide forward & back) on the rear center drive shaft. Now I do not know if it has always been like this and/or if this is not nornal? Thanks in advance guys for your help...

Gear mesh 2 loose or a stone maybe got stuck in there, yes play in the center shafts is normal.

wmh0901 01-27-2013 08:20 PM

I got my Caldera this week and clipped a tree and broke a shock and a steering arm. I superglued the parts back together and amazingly it held together through a full 30 minutes of driving. I ordered new parts but was curious as to if I should grease the differentials or the main gear spur? The main spur shipped with no lubricant and maybe this should not have any. I don't know. Any suggestions? I have noticed some wear already starting to occur. Another question I have is what is the biggest lipo battery I can get? The lipo cutoff on the esc goes to 7.4 but i want an 11 volt battery if it will take it. Any help is appreciated.

lifeismuddy 01-28-2013 03:01 AM

ORIGINAL: wmh0901

I got my Caldera this week and clipped a tree and broke a shock and a steering arm. I superglued the parts back together and amazingly it held together through a full 30 minutes of driving. I ordered new parts but was curious as to if I should grease the differentials or the main gear spur? The main spur shipped with no lubricant and maybe this should not have any. I don't know. Any suggestions? I have noticed some wear already starting to occur. Another question I have is what is the biggest lipo battery I can get? The lipo cutoff on the esc goes to 7.4 but i want an 11 volt battery if it will take it. Any help is appreciated.
Yes tear the diffs apart n put a small amount of grease on them, this is a good time to check the play and shim if needed. Spur n pinion I would not grease as being exposed it will hold dirt n wear faster but if your noticing play here now is the time to adjust mesh. As far as 11.1 we run them on ours but you need to upgrade motor and esc fans or the extra voltage will produce so much heat the motor will not last long. Its not advisable to do 11.1 but we have had good luck so far. Honestly these are plenty fast on 7.4