RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Looking to purchase Redcat RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10960725-looking-purchase-redcat-rc.html)

Peco80 02-15-2012 04:01 PM

Looking to purchase Redcat RC

Looking to buy a Caldera 10 but I'm unsure if I want a nitro or electric. I live in a area that humidity and temps consistently are changing (temps range from 95 to -20) so I'm thinking electric would be easier to run without always making adjustments to a nitro. I'm I just over reading into this or I'm I on the right track? I don't want to be adjusting a carb for 10-20 min for 30 min of fun. If I go electric what's the largest Lipo battery can I go with (mAH, Constant Discharge).

jaquo2 02-15-2012 04:12 PM

RE: Looking to purchase Redcat RC

Dads like rc too 02-15-2012 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Peco80

Looking to buy a Caldera 10 but I'm unsure if I want a nitro or electric. I live in a area that humidity and temps consistently are changing (temps range from 95 to -20) so I'm thinking electric would be easier to run without always making adjustments to a nitro. I'm I just over reading into this or I'm I on the right track? I don't want to be adjusting a carb for 10-20 min for 30 min of fun. If I go electric what's the largest Lipo battery can I go with (mAH, Constant Discharge).
Humidity and swinging temps certainly play a part in tuning but the SH .18 that comes in the Caldera is very easy to tune. Also it's not nearly as picky as my HPI .18. You will have to make adjustments when there is a significant difference in temp, but it shouldn't be everytime your running. This still is not a big deal. It gets colder out, you richen up your HSP needle and your off and running, opposite for when it warms up. If this is your first RC purchase, do your research! Ask lots of questions before you buy. Both electric and nitro have their pro's and con's. I love nitro but...electric is much more user friendly if your buying new with everything already set up for you.

Either way the Caldera is a great platform to start with. I bought my 8 year old "at the time" a used Caldera 10E brushless truck. Great bang for the buck. It's had very minimal problems and little down time. I don't have any experience with the nitro version but I have a Tornado S30 with the same engine and the engine is rock solid and plenty powerful.
<br type="_moz" />

Peco80 02-15-2012 04:57 PM

Thanks DLRT, I have owned a few cheap rc's (radio shack, etc) and had a Monster Beetle about 10 years ago. I have been doing some research an rc's the last few weeks by reading on this board and watching videos.  What got my attention about the Caldera was the price, 4x4, and reliability. I'm looking for something that's good on the street and also in my backyard, don't think I'll start bashing right away.

Dads like rc too 02-15-2012 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Peco80

Thanks DLRT, I have owned a few cheap rc's (radio shack, etc) and had a Monster Beetle about 10 years ago. I have been doing some research an rc's the last few weeks by reading on this board and watching videos. What got my attention about the Caldera was the price, 4x4, and reliability. I'm looking for something that's good on the street and also in my backyard, don't think I'll start bashing right away.

I'd say your headed in the right direction then. When people ask me about getting into the hobby, I always recomend the Caldera 10E. It's tough and affordable. Comes with a battery and charger and is true ready to run model. For those that want nitro I say the same thing about the nitro version. A lot of people steer towards the tornado because it's a little cheaper. It's a good buggy for the price. For running around the neighborhood and dirt lots, I've determined it's not really what I should have picked up. It's been rock solid, but the Caldera in it's monster truck format would have worked out better for me..

jbain2 02-15-2012 06:00 PM

I have a Caldera 10e going on 3 months now. I made the decision to go with electric as I read through the many posts of challenges with nitro powered engines, so the reliability and ease of electric was was convinced me to go that route. It used to me that nitro or gas based models were faster and more powerful, that is not the case any more with the new electric motors. I have had a very positive experience with my Caldera 10e. It has been durable without any issues.

Dads like rc too 02-15-2012 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jbain2

I have a Caldera 10e going on 3 months now. I made the decision to go with electric as I read through the many posts of challenges with nitro powered engines, so the reliability and ease of electric was was convinced me to go that route. It used to me that nitro or gas based models were faster and more powerful, that is not the case any more with the new electric motors. I have had a very positive experience with my Caldera 10e. It has been durable without any issues.
I agree. Electric has come a long way. Brushless technology is up to date. Nitro is not, but I love nitro. The sound and smell. The only issue I have with electric is still the batteries.

If you really want to be equiped to take your equipment out to the track or a local park, you need 3 or 4 batteries if your bringing more than 1 car with you.. Then if you want your batteries to last they need to be charged and balanced properly. You can find cheap batteries all over the web but most good quality lipo batteries are no cheaper than $50-$60 a stick if you want good run time and a battery that doesn't lose a cell every 3 months.

Same thing with the charger. You can find plenty of good, cheap single lipo charger/balancers for under $50 but if you have several cars and a stack of batteries to run them your going to eventually want a multi charger like the hi-tec 4 bay charger. That's another $200. For me the investment is too great to go all electric. Right now There is 4 RC cars in my house not including the 2 sumo's. 3 are nitro and 1 is brushless. If all of them were brushless it would cost me a fortune in batteries and charging equipment.

jbain2 02-15-2012 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

The only issue I have with electric is still the batteries.

If you really want to be equiped to take your equipment out to the track or a local park, you need 3 or 4 batteries if your bringing more than 1 car with you.. Then if you want your batteries to last they need to be charged and balanced properly. You can find cheap batteries all over the web but most good quality lipo batteries are no cheaper than $50-$60 a stick if you want good run time and a battery that doesn't lose a cell every 3 months.

Same thing with the charger. You can find plenty of good, cheap single lipo charger/balancers for under $50 but if you have several cars and a stack of batteries to run them your going to eventually want a multi charger like the hi-tec 4 bay charger. That's another $200. For me the investment is too great to go all electric. Right now There is 4 RC cars in my house not including the 2 sumo's. 3 are nitro and 1 is brushless. If all of them were brushless it would cost me a fortune in batteries and charging equipment.

I hear you about the batteries. I can't say I like having multiple batteries laying around. We have 2 electric trucks in our house and 8 batteries. I was able to find decent deals on reputable batteries and chargers, still you are right the cost of them is not insignificant. Again, for me it boiled down to put the battery in and go play without having to worry about engine issues. I suppose it really depends on what your preference is.

jaquo2 02-16-2012 01:06 PM

just got my caldera 2 days ago seems to be a good truck... I would def get the upgraded metal steering knuckles mine broke after hitting a curb at about half speed. read on here that was kind of an isssue hoping i could make it last a little while before having to worry about it!!! But i guess curb wins