RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Monsoon wheels (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11074880-monsoon-wheels.html)

Dads like rc too 05-09-2012 02:09 PM

Monsoon wheels

I cracked a front rim on my Monsoon. I like the stock tires and the gearing. I would like to find a aftermarket rim that would fit the factory tires. Has anybody found a suitable replacement rim. I'm not against running monster truck rims and tires to change it up a bit, but I would still like to be able to run the stock tires now and then.

nitrosportsandrunner 05-09-2012 02:50 PM

RE: Monsoon wheels

what are the measurments of the stock rim?
I dont believe its an odd size...so most any 1/8 truggy wheel "should" work. Just make certain of the offset.

Dads like rc too 05-09-2012 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

what are the measurments of the stock rim?
I dont believe its an odd size...so most any 1/8 truggy wheel "should" work. Just make certain of the offset.
Trying to find a tape measure in this house is like finding a pen that isn't out of ink. I'm not sure of the size but the width is definately wider than a standard buggy rim. I found some by Ofna and Inetgy that are called super wide "or something like that", looks like they resemble the stock rims. Look at the pic, they are Super Wide. I love them. I do want to play around with some huge monster truck tires, this thing breaks the tires loose on the road, they just spin in the grass so I don't think going a little taller will be an issue. But I like the way it handles with the stockers on there, just want to get away from the fragile Redcat rims.

nitrosportsandrunner 05-09-2012 03:40 PM

the width does look close to MT's

the hex is 17mm tho, right?

Dads like rc too 05-09-2012 04:15 PM

yes, 17mm.  Yeah they're like M/T rims with buggy tires aren't they.

Dads like rc too 05-09-2012 05:03 PM

It's hard to tell exactly with tires mounted on them but the rims are approximately 3.5 inches tall by 2 3/4 inches wide

carslover 05-11-2012 08:52 PM

the benefit of keeping the dish wheels is they are alot stronger than a rim with cutouts on it!

Dads like rc too 05-12-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: carslover

the benefit of keeping the dish wheels is they are alot stronger than a rim with cutouts on it!
Not only this but they also keep a lot of dirt out of the bearings

86MOmo 08-05-2012 12:34 AM

Check out AKA racing and their line of 8th scale pre-mounts.  I run these on my truggy (RC8TE) and i love them.  I've also had several other customers with the Monsoon and the Avalanche to try other wheels.  I have found that the 1/2 offset works best with proline wheels.  I have had the standard ones hit on the spokes.

They are slightly taller than stock, but the footprint is narrower.

MOmo