RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Tornado S30 Transmission/Differential Broken? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11077275-tornado-s30-transmission-differential-broken.html)

fun4oli 05-11-2012 01:37 PM

Tornado S30 Transmission/Differential Broken?

<font size="2">Iam relatively new to RCcars.

We have been running the Tornado S30 off-road for three times. The last time we were at a racing track. We used the car without a problem for maybe an hour. Then it was my turn and I did a few laps. I had a light crash and the motor went out. After we restarted it the motor was able to rev up but the car did not move.

</font><font size="2" face="Arial">When I just roll the car on the ground now (at home) it rolls freely but rolling it does not turn the central drive shaft. Also all wheels spin freely.

</font><div></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">I am not an expert, but on my recently bought Volcano S30, when I turn one wheel the other turns as well, the other way. And when I roll my model on the ground it turns the central driveshaft.
</font></div><div></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">What is the issue here with the Volcano? Is the gear box for the rear wheels (is that a differential?) broken? Would I just buy the whole thing and then replace it? Or whatever is in the midle of the car, that enclosed box between the tank and the motor, could that be broken?</font></div>

Dads like rc too 05-11-2012 01:48 PM

RE: Tornado S30 Transmission/Differential Broken?

Sounds like you stripped a spur gear.

fun4oli 05-11-2012 03:32 PM

But which one, where? How do I investigate? And how do I fix it?

lakesrunner 05-11-2012 04:52 PM

He's talking about the the gear in the transmission. The one you set the gear mesh with, it's in the middle of thebuggy.

fun4oli 05-11-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks!

Actually the whole mystery was solved today. The rear grub screw, the one where they tell you in the manual to definitely loctite it (which we never did because it is so hard to reach), had come loose. Aha! So today I invested four dollars in a hex key set and tighten it. Of course we were so eager to go run the car again that we did not bother to loctite it and then lost the screw alltogether. OK, go an buy grub screw, this time loctite it for sure, and off to happier times.

Dads like rc too 05-12-2012 03:15 AM

Sorry, didn't catch the part where you said you rolled it on the ground and the tranny didn't turn. At that point it would be obvious something had just come loose in the drivetrain. The Grub screws are notorious for this. Glad you figured it out on your own.

lakesrunner 05-12-2012 08:44 AM

Great you got it going. Did you loctite all your other grub screws? The same thing can happen.

fun4oli 05-12-2012 03:03 PM

There are two, right, one in the front and one in the back?

Dads like rc too 05-12-2012 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: fun4oli

There are two, right, one in the front and one in the back?
4. Rear diff cup, rear tranny cup where brake disk is, front tranny cup, front diff cup.

Basically each cup on each end of the center dog bones.