RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Can't tighten nuts (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11111430-cant-tighten-nuts.html)

Shady9503 06-08-2012 10:50 AM

Can't tighten nuts

Hey guys so i have a tornado s30 with volcano axle stubs and wheel hexes and i have the hop up kit installed, heres my problem, when i put my tires on, if i tighten them to much the wheels wont spin, if i loosen the wheels just a bit to allow them to spin freely they come loose during driving and the tire flies off, ive checked bearings and changed a couple even and it stumps me completely, can anyone help me out here?

Dads like rc too 06-08-2012 07:34 PM

RE: Can't tighten nuts

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

Hey guys so i have a tornado s30 with volcano axle stubs and wheel hexes and i have the hop up kit installed, heres my problem, when i put my tires on, if i tighten them to much the wheels wont spin, if i loosen the wheels just a bit to allow them to spin freely they come loose during driving and the tire flies off, ive checked bearings and changed a couple even and it stumps me completely, can anyone help me out here?
That's been a problem with not only Redcat, but other companies vehicles as well that use the 12mm hex set up. The tighter you make the wheel, the more it pushes the hex hub into either the steering knuckle or rear upright. You kind of just have to find that sweet spot. Also from time to time you should swap your wheel nuts out with new ones so the plastic in the threads isn't too worn out. Of course a little loc tite doesn't hurt either.

NewRageRC 06-11-2012 07:40 AM

What "hop up kit" do you have installed? I put aluminum wheel hexes on my Lightning and it helped a whole lot. If you don't have them I'd get them. Cheap enough and you can get them at any hobby shop. They don't have to be made by Redcat.

Shady9503 06-11-2012 09:14 AM

The regular hop up kit that redcat sells for the tornado, and i have the double wheel hexes that the volcano has on it will they have those?
and yeah that sweet spot is hard to find! i found it once lol went to change tires and bam lost it xD

ThePenguins 06-11-2012 12:47 PM

You haven't lost a pin have you?

Shady9503 06-12-2012 06:22 AM

nawh i dont have the pins im using the volcano axel stubs with the volcano double hexes

billymare 06-12-2012 11:52 AM

The trick is getting both of the grub screws on the hex pretty snug and lock tite the nut.

Shady9503 06-12-2012 12:18 PM

like super tightening the wheel hex onto the axle stub? then loc tite?

billymare 06-12-2012 03:34 PM

loosen1 grub screw,remove the other,put hex's on till just touching the washer tighten 1 grub, locktite the other then install it, then remove previous grub, locktite that one. Put locktite (Blue on everything) the wheel nut. DO NOT super tighten the wheel nut. Find the sweet spot and repeat for the other 3 wheels. It is a lot of work but you will get better at it as you do this a few times.

Shady9503 06-13-2012 04:33 AM

I think you sir just solved my problems, lol those washers you speak of? yeah lost most of em i think! XD didnt think they were important but yes i do have blue loctite and ill do that, if i cant get the same washers what can i use?