RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Batteries for Lightning EPX standard (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11125254-batteries-lightning-epx-standard.html)

bsm5774 06-20-2012 08:39 AM

Batteries for Lightning EPX standard

Hello,

I am a newbie to the hobby and bought a Lightning to get started. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best battery is for the model. It came with an 1800mah battery, but I bought some 3000mah. The engine burned out after a couple runs with them. The ESC is rated to 3600. Not sure why...like I said, I am a newbie! Haha! Thank you all for your time and assistance.<br type="_moz" />

Dads like rc too 06-20-2012 10:12 AM

RE: Batteries for Lightning EPX standard

I would stick with the smaller batteries. My daughters Volcano Epx burned the motor in 4 packs. Redcat actually sent me an email saying brushed motors run very hot and to keep the run times to 6-7 minutes. Can you imagine that... 6-7 minutes. I would have never purchased it if I knew this ahead of time. So far I've had no complaints with any of their models , but this is the last brushed model I will buy from them

madweasel 06-20-2012 04:44 PM

Drive it like you stole it!

Yeah, its what I've learned too...heat issue. Imagine all that juice flooding into that motor...it'll heat up. Do you have a heat sink?

But still, run into the ground thenlet it cool off and slap another battery pack in there and let it loose!

Cheers!

bsm5774 06-20-2012 09:23 PM

Thank you both!!!  Dads like rc too<font face="tahoma, verdana, arial"><span style="font-size: 11px;">- 6-7 minutes!? That's just when I'm starting to have fun. Not right at all. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it to the 1800. I just bought a new motor. When that goes, I'll look into the brushless.</span></font>madweasel- No heat sink. I'll probably burn the new motor out purposely so I can upgrade to brushless. Cheers to you!<div>
</div><div> Again, thank you both!!!
<div><font face="tahoma, verdana, arial"><span style="font-size: 11px;">
</span></font></div><div><font face="tahoma, verdana, arial"><span style="font-size: 11px;">
</span></font></div></div>

Dads like rc too 06-21-2012 03:56 AM

ORIGINAL: bsm5774

Thank you both!!! Dads like rc too<font face=''tahoma, verdana, arial''><span style=''font-size: 11px;''>- 6-7 minutes!? That's just when I'm starting to have fun. Not right at all. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it to the 1800. I just bought a new motor. When that goes, I'll look into the brushless.</span></font>madweasel- No heat sink. I'll probably burn the new motor out purposely so I can upgrade to brushless. Cheers to you!<div>
</div><div> Again, thank you both!!!
<div><font face=''tahoma, verdana, arial''><span style=''font-size: 11px;''>
</span></font></div><div><font face=''tahoma, verdana, arial''><span style=''font-size: 11px;''>
</span></font></div></div>
yeah thats crazy to think you would only want to run it 6 or 7 minutes. in my son brushless Caldera we run packs back to back without any heat issues.

bsm5774 06-21-2012 08:53 PM

Excellent! I'll be burning this motor out so I have an excuse to go brushless. Hahaha!!!