RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Volcano epx pro Running problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11332665-volcano-epx-pro-running-problem.html)

Johnathond22 01-10-2013 08:59 PM

RE: Volcano epx pro Running problem

1 Attachment(s)
I recently upgraded to all aluminum epx pro. If you have the aluminum hubs and are using the stock plastic hex it will bind against the new aluminum hub. You will need to loosen the lock nut on the wheel to allow the hex to spin freely. I suggest you get the aluminum hex as these work perfectly with the aluminum hubs. You can tighten all the way.

Leonardo1982 01-11-2013 08:58 AM

hey Johnathond, i have problem vith a dogbones :( what dogbones are you use there bro? ty

Johnathond22 01-11-2013 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had tried to use the upgraded cv axles from Redcat but it didnt work any better, they actually broke really quickly when running lipos. The best I can get is stock dogbones and adjust your camber on the wheels so that the top of the wheels stay away from the truck just a little. There was another tip from Nitro that you can put a small piece of fuel hose from a nitro rc in the c cup on the differential to keep the dog bone securley in the wheel hub, this may also help. I personally have not tried this yet. I did also notice that setting the shock height about half inch off of it's softest setting helps keep the dogbones at a prefered angle with camber setting I suggested earlier. You should also check the fluid in the shocks, they come from redcat without being completely full. I changed my fluid to 70 wt and it really has been performing well. I have not broken a Dogbone yet and I run 50c Lipos. I included two quick phontos from mine to show the camber and I also built my own aluminum skid plate and bumper combo which I made to take the hard ground lick while jumping to avoid over extending the a-arms. This was my biggest problem in breaking dogbones. You should also consider setting your steering limiter to less angle when running full power, any hard angle will put extreme pressue and this drive train and with Lipo will certainly snap that lil shaft. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-11-2013 11:31 AM

that rear angle shot is a perfect example Johnathond22 of how Id setup the suspension. Not only will that angle keep the dogbones from snapping to easy, it will also make the truck more stable.
Yes, it will lesson the ground clearance, but Id rather have a rock hit the chassis every now and then...then snap dogbones or be always rolling the truck over.

Leonardo1982 01-11-2013 12:17 PM

i like your chassis good job.. So what do you think about the universal AXLE?  does it  work on volcano?

Johnathond22 01-11-2013 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, my truck in the photos is my Volcano EPX pro. However the universal upgrade is a bit more expensive and alot more work to replace. I really think it is better to run the dogbones and make these changes to the suspension. You should notice a great improvement in dogbones lasting much longer. If I had to guess you are twisting off the end ball of the dogbone and this is due to stress in the wheel hub. The slight angle on the camber will certainly help this. Also consider lowering the shocks so that your dogbone is almost paralell to the differential. It may not look as cool being lower, but when running full speed it will take alot more turns and beatings. The only other suggestion I can make is if you are doing a good bit of jumping you will want to set the auto brake to minimal so that it can free roll after the jump. I had mine set failrly tight when I first got it and the sudden stop was also causing the axles to bind up and bend. I posted my Volcano as it was when I first got it. I had originally only made the bumper, but as you can see in the second pic I have been having a good time with the modding fun. The weather here has been really rainy so modding is all we can do. We have been making custom parts for a while and my next post will be extreme waterproofing and I will most likley make another skid to match the hummer a little better. I also need to make one for Nitro so this weekend will be dedicated to Modding, at least thats what the weather man says...rain all weekend.

Johnathond22 01-11-2013 01:10 PM

Nitro,
If I remember correclty the skid plate you wanted was for the Tornado version Epx. Can you post a couple of fairly colse up photos so I can get an idea of where to make the bends. I will trace my epx chassis as it is the same but, I need a couple of photos of front, rear, side and bottom view. Do you want battery vent cutouts? I will also need you to PM me the address of where it is going. It should be ready this weekend. Also need to know if Rhino black is ok for color or you rather something else.
Thanks

Leonardo1982 01-11-2013 01:34 PM

thank you very much for your help.. i'm gonna do these changesand hope everything goes right.. i don't like anymore the volcano i'm gonna sell it and i like to get a HPI SAVAGE!!

Johnathond22 01-11-2013 01:51 PM

It's understandable, after having a large sum of back to back problems it is easy to become discouraged. You do have to consider all aspects when choosing your new RC. The volcano was an excellent way to begin the RC hobby adventure and really is inexpensive to repair and upgrade. The Savage and Traxxas products are really nice and do tend to come more heavy duty right out of the box, but the price tag is equal to the quality. I can honestly say that at this time I have about 400 dollars in my Volcano with all aluminum, body and Lipo upgrades and most likley can't get that for it if I tried to sell it, but I now learned alot about the RC by building this one, and with all upgrades it takes a real beating. My friend has both the Traxxas Stampede and T-maxx model and they are both really nice, but Brushless electric Stampede is much easier to maintain. Good luck with your mods, and if you do decide to sell it... let us know.
<br type="_moz" />

Leonardo1982 01-11-2013 02:10 PM

yes i want to sell it. i baught this volcano 20 day before. and i have same + items for that.. if you are interesing give me your email or find me on fb LEONARDO GLAN

Johnathond22 01-11-2013 02:20 PM

You can email me [email protected]

There are many people here that are interested in beginning this hobby. Please send a few pictures as well as accessories you intend to sell with it; ex: aluminum, batteries.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-11-2013 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
grabbed some internet pics and one pic of my actual tornado.
Ill PM my addy later on.

On the rear of the buggy it just needs a kickup that extends maybe 1'' beyond the chassis.

the other pics are of the t bone racing front bumper. Id mimic the angle of that bumper.