RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Volcano epx pro Running problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11332665-volcano-epx-pro-running-problem.html)

Leonardo1982 12-15-2012 02:45 PM

Volcano epx pro Running problem

..hi guys..I bought a Redcat Volcano EPX PRO! run about 3 minutes and the battery died.after recharge the battery tried to run again but something goes wrong ..please help me.. Is this a battery problem or something else ..watch the video please http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5jjj0IEgVU

nitrosportsandrunner 12-15-2012 03:17 PM

RE: Volcano epx pro Running problem

it sounds like a battery issue to me.
the ESC on that truck comes with LVC on. Low Voltage Cuttoff is needed for Lipo batteries. It senses the voltage and cuts power when it goes below 6.0v.
Normally, you can get 8-10 minutes on the stock battery. So either your battery....or your charger is no good.

How long did you charge the battery for?

Also, to really get the most out of your truck you should run a 2s lipo. The difference is night and day...more power and speed and much longer runtimes.
Hobbypartz.com has skylipo packs that are 2s 5000mah and cost only $25. You will need a lipo charger if you dont already have one, but the same site has the thunder AC6 for only $50. Shipping is free on orders over $50.
A 2s 5000mah lipo will get you 25-30 minutes of runtime per charge. and that charger only takes alittle over 1 hour to charge such a pack.

But if buying more stuff isnt and option right now, I would fill out the warrenty form on redcats site.

Oh, hobbypartz does have 7.2v 5000mah packs for $25+shipping. While not as good as a lipo, they are better than your stock pack and can be charged on the stock charger (tho it will take 8 hours or so)

Leonardo1982 12-15-2012 03:46 PM

Thank you <b style="font-family: verdana, arial; font-size: 11px;">nitrosportsandrunner.. i charge for 6 hours the NiMH 1800mAh battery.[/b]<font face="verdana, arial"><span style="font-size: 11px;">i have already ordered the 2 x GENS</span></font>5000mAh 40C + VENOM lipo charger.. i don't know how much good it is the GENS batteries..A friend of me told me that is a good battery.. can i ask something else? can i use arechargeable battery AA for my RCR-2C<span style="font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px;">RADIO RECEIVER 2.4 GHz? TY A</span>LOT..

nitrosportsandrunner 12-15-2012 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Leonardo1982

Thank you <b style=''font-family: verdana, arial; font-size: 11px;''>nitrosportsandrunner.. i charge for 6 hours the NiMH 1800mAh battery. [/b]<font face=''verdana, arial''><span style=''font-size: 11px;''>i have already ordered the 2 x GENS</span></font> 5000mAh 40C + VENOM lipo charger.. i don't know how much good it is the GENS batteries.. A friend of me told me that is a good battery.. can i ask something else? can i use a rechargeable battery AA for my RCR-2C <span style=''font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px;''>RADIO RECEIVER 2.4 GHz? TY A</span> LOT..
you can use rechargable AA's in most any radio. I stick with regular AA's cause I have so many radios it would cost a fortune to buy rechargables for them all.
Ive heard good things about the gens ace lipos. I have a little gens ace 800mah pack for a heli...and will likely use it in my redcat tremor as well.
Honestly, any of the lipo brands that hobbypartz has I hear good things about.
I have 3 sky lipo packs that lasted 1 year of use (alot of use, and a fair bit under water) and several other skylipo packs that have lasted 2 years. At $25 a pop thats pretty awsome.
Big brand lipos go for $80-$100+ each. Id just assume rather buy 4 skylipo packs for the price of 1 brand name pack.
Plus, the skylipo (and i think the gens ace packs as well) come with the same 4.0mm plugs redcat uses on most of its models.

When you run your volcano on a 2s pack, you will see a large differnce in power.
I reccomend buying the ezrun program card. The stock settings on the ESC are best for the lower powered nimh battery. With more power, I think its best to turn down the braking force some and turn up the punch control a little.
Those cards are only $10 or so, and well worth it. Makes it super easy to set all the functions of the ESC.

Leonardo1982 12-15-2012 05:21 PM

Thanks for the above .. To tell the truth I have little regret for Volcano I could get something better .. but if I find somewhere to sell it to get something better, more expensive, and durable .. but I do not know what RC ... as you can see is my first RC .. can you tell me what is somewhat better to get? TY

nitrosportsandrunner 12-15-2012 05:43 PM

Thanks for the above .. To tell the truth I have little regret for Volcano I could get something better .. but if I find somewhere to sell it to get something better, more expensive, and durable .. but I do not know what RC ... as you can see is my first RC .. can you tell me what is somewhat better to get? TY
well, something along the same lines but better would be the traxxas stampede 4x4. Its around $400 tho. It has waterproof electronics, more ground clearance and is a bit bigger.
It to tho, has weak points. driveshafts are an issue if you run lipos. And MIP upgrades are pricey!

I have owned 2 volcanos. I like them alot. If you do little things, like move the camber rods to the holes closest to the hub and use bits of fuel tubing in the drive cups to center the dogbones, they hold up fairly well.
Ive even run a traxxas vxl system on 3s lipo in a volcano before.
I still have a tornado epx pro (same thing jsut different shock towers/arms and wheels) and its a blast. Ive owned many different brands. Each has its good and bad points really.
Just know, more expensive doesnt always mean more durable. While generally you "get what you pay for", there are expensive models that have major flaws...tend to break or are just not that fun to drive.

Wait till you get the lipo in the volcano. That nimh pack with a brushless system is like putting low grade fuel in a race engine. It really needs a lipo that can put out the amps it wants. The lipo will also give 8.4v when fully charged.

Leonardo1982 12-15-2012 07:35 PM

the GENS is 7.4v I did not get 8.4 because the book says so 7.2-8.4 NiMH or 7.4 LIPO.. i have ordered too some aluminium parts + a LIPOlow voltage tester. so bro you know ? you change my mind ill keep the Volcano.. TY :) what else can i do on Volcano for more performance and durable? i ordered aAluminium Steering Hub+mount.. TY

nitrosportsandrunner 12-16-2012 10:53 AM

the GENS is 7.4v I did not get 8.4 because the book says so 7.2-8.4 NiMH or 7.4 LIPO.. i have ordered too some aluminium parts + a LIPO low voltage tester. so bro you know ? you change my mind ill keep the Volcano.. TY :) what else can i do on Volcano for more performance and durable? i ordered a Aluminium Steering Hub +mount.. TY
The ESC and motor can actually handle a 3s Lipo! Only the fan on the esc has an issue with 3s lipo. The fan gets powered off the ESC. If you run 3s, it gets too much power and will burn out. You can wire the fan to be powered off the reciever, so it will not get more than 7v.
Battereis are rated by their nominal voltage. Fully charged is always higher. A 8.4v nimh can be like 9.6v when fully charged. Same as a 7.4v lipo will be 8.4....and a 11.1v lipo will be 12.4
Aluminum is a tricky thing. The suspension arms and shock towers are actually better plastic...as they allow for flex upon impact. Something has to give.
The steering hub and "C" hub...as well as the rear hubs are all good ones to upgrade to alloy.
Other than that, id leave the rest plastic.
The steering servo aint a bad part to upgrade. A metal geared high torque one (some on hobbypartz for $20) is good.
Also, it doesnt hurt to had a heat sink to the motor. They can lower temps by 20 degrees!
And as mentioned before, the ESC program card is helpful. With more powerful battery, upping the punch control setting and lowering the braking force will save the driveline and make the truck more drivable.
Whats the point of a 40mph truck, if it spins out every time you hit the gas or the brake?
You can also adjust the LVC setting. I think stock is 3.0v and I prefer 3.2v

Oh, another big one is the Tbone racing front bumper. Tbone racing makes bumpers for many redcats, and their stuff is on par with RPM! Their bumper is wider and has a better angle than the stock one. It will absorb alot of impacts.

Lastly is taping the inside of the body. Redcat bodies are PVC and not lexan. Its not as tough. So putting duct tape on the inside of the body (especially the front bumper and around the body hole mounts) will help keep it from cracking. Adding plastic washers (like the ones meant for the traxxas stampede) doesnt hurt either.

Hope that helps!

Leonardo1982 12-16-2012 11:42 AM

Thanks a lot. Everything you say sounds very professional.I have a little problem with my remote control, sometimes stops working .... the servo only works left right nothing else!! and I need to turn off the switch from the ESC and turn on againto fix the problem .. i know i ask you too much things (sorry)
<div></div>

nitrosportsandrunner 12-16-2012 12:08 PM

Thanks a lot. Everything you say sounds very professional. I have a little problem with my remote control, sometimes stops working .... the servo only works left right nothing else!! and I need to turn off the switch from the ESC and turn on again to fix the problem .. i know i ask you too much things (sorry)
<div> </div>
thanx, I try to keep my advice professional. Im a redcat dealer, but like to think of myself as a avid hobbiest 1st. 7+ years of running RC's and being on the forums...ive learned alot. And too often, what Ive learned has come from owning cheaper...used models.

Your new radio issue is odd tho. Is this with a new battery? Does the steering servo make any odd sounds? Turning only to the left normally would indicate the steering servo is partially stripped on the inside. But if it works fine every time you turn the model back on again then the issue must be somewhere else.

Im assuming that neither your ESC or reciever got wet, right?

On redcat's site, go to the "how to video" section. Under that section, find the link that says "radio guide"
There you will find a video showing how to "bind" your radio to your reciever. Sometimes, a radio/reciever can become messed up and re-binding them will fix that.
I once had my steering stop working...but rebinding the radio fixed it.

Leonardo1982 12-16-2012 12:34 PM

I would like to say that when I turn the ESC switch ON always being the servo makes a noise like BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ until I press the treadle to start running the car.. and i have play only in my house and the car never been in the water.. can you suggest me some servo between 20-30 $

nitrosportsandrunner 12-16-2012 03:59 PM

I would like to say that when I turn the ESC switch ON always being the servo makes a noise like BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ until I press the treadle to start running the car.. and i have play only in my house and the car never been in the water.. can you suggest me some servo between 20-30 $
grab this one before its gone: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tower-Pro-To...item4abdfa9b5d

the MG996r is one of the best metal geared servos for the money. Hobbypartz can hardly keep them in stock.

You can buy them which ship direct from hong kong for like $10 a pop. Ive bought 5 at a time. $50 for 5 good servos. It does take a month or more for them to arrive tho.

If your servo is buzzing then its likely the issue. The stock servos seem to be hit or miss. Myself and other have had them fail quickly...and Ive had them last a long time as well. My tornado still has the stock servo...and Ive run it and jumped it on 3s lipo!

Hobbypartz does have some solar servos that arent bad. Ive had one that worked well, tho its a noisy servo.
The trick with those servos is reading the specs. anything over 100oz torque is pretty good, but the speed of the servo matters as well.

Again, the MG996r is the best low cost servo I know of....its worth the wait if you have to buy from HK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG996R-Servo...item19cd4b1594

Leonardo1982 12-16-2012 05:09 PM

TY ,, I bought it already on ebay but comes from HK.. im waiting for my LIPOS, to see my Volcano to be a dangerous monster :)

nitrosportsandrunner 12-16-2012 05:14 PM

TY ,, I bought it already on ebay but comes from HK.. im waiting for my LIPOS, to see my Volcano to be a dangerous monster :)
I probly have a standard traxxas servo I could sell you. say, $12 shipped. Would get you up and running so you dont have to wait a month for the MG servo to arrive.

Leonardo1982 12-16-2012 05:29 PM

Ty 4 your offer but i already ordered the <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 18px; font-weight: bold;">MG996R.. the stock servo i think will resist until it comes the</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 18px; font-weight: bold;">MG996R..
<br type="_moz" /></span>

nitrosportsandrunner 12-16-2012 05:45 PM

here are 2 older vids I made of running my volcano:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmv9PkyHus[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YeexXsaPQ[/youtube]

Leonardo1982 12-16-2012 05:53 PM

is that your Volcano an the videos? i like that Body SHell..

nitrosportsandrunner 12-16-2012 05:59 PM

is that your Volcano an the videos? i like that Body SHell..
yes, both vids are mine.
the bug body volcano is basically stock. The other one had a traxxas vxl system and 2.2 paddle tires.

I sell that body in my ebay store.
It takes only slight trimming for it to fit the volcano. I originally had it on my redcat RS10(see profile pic)

Leonardo1982 12-17-2012 12:49 PM

So,,can be the ESC issue the problem of volcano? because sometimes the car run good without disconnect..Im worried about that.. if the ESC is the problem can i change it?

Leonardo1982 12-17-2012 01:33 PM

one more questioncan use the aluminium chassis of the S30 to epx pro? ty

nitrosportsandrunner 12-17-2012 02:13 PM

So,, can be the ESC issue the problem of volcano? because sometimes the car run good without disconnect.. Im worried about that.. if the ESC is the problem can i change it?
not sure what you mean...
does the car work when you disconnect the steering servo? A bad steering servo can (tho its rare) effect the reciever and thus screw up throttle as well.

Any electronic parts are under warrenty. And if you want to go with a different ESC you can certainly do that. Any sensorless ESC will work with the stock motor.

Last, the volcano S30 alloy chassis would be very hard to use on the electric version. Whiile the diffs and suspension parts will bolt right on...the upper chassis/motor mount/battery mount and servo mount would all likely require drilling holes in the chassis. Even then, it would take some creativity.
You are the second or third person recently to ask that question....makes me want to pick up a volcano and buy the alloy chassis to see if I can do it[8D]

Leonardo1982 12-17-2012 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry for my english :( so, my volcano have this problem.. sometimes when i get in the air the car run good but when i put t down and try to run that the car run for 2 meters or 6 foot and make a STOP for a second and run again and it happens all during its time dont run constantly progressing, and dhe battery its full... i will upload a video tomorrow ok? so look this photo when i conect the first time the battery happen this..

nitrosportsandrunner 12-17-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

sorry for my english :( so, my volcano have this problem.. sometimes when i get in the air the car run good but when i put t down and try to run that the car run for 2 meters or 6 foot and make a STOP for a second and run again and it happens all during its time dont run constantly progressing, and dhe battery its full... i will upload a video tomorrow ok? so look this photo when i conect the first time the battery happen this..
smoke from your ESC is always a bad thing. That part should have a black rubber/plastic wrap on it. It shouldnt be exposed like that.
That should not happen.
Fill out the warrenty form on redcat's site. They should send you a replacement ESC.
If you bought it from a local hobby shop, they may replace it for you. But usually filling out the warrenty form on redcats site is the best way to get a defective part replaced.

here is a pic of the volcano from redcat's site. I highlighted the part you had smoke. You can see it is supposed to have a protective cover.

edit: heres a link to the warrenty form
http://www.redcatracing.com/Warranty-Form

Leonardo1982 12-17-2012 04:47 PM

with a warranty is complicated (long time) and nothing is sure!! im not sure if that thing is the reason.. i will try again to run that when ill get the LIPOS and if the problem still happen ill buy a new ESC uff bad thing the cheap things.. how can find your store on EBAY? have you some ESC for sale?

nitrosportsandrunner 12-17-2012 05:04 PM

with a warranty is complicated (long time) and nothing is sure!! im not sure if that thing is the reason.. i will try again to run that when ill get the LIPOS and if the problem still happen ill buy a new ESC uff bad thing the cheap things.. how can find your store on EBAY? have you some ESC for sale?
the warrenty doesnt always take that long. Ive gotten replacement parts in 7 days before.
And Im 90% sure (if you saw smoke from that part) that the ESC needs replacing. As I said, it should have had a rubber protector on it.

I dont have any good priced ESC's in my ebay store.
this link will take you to my store tho: http://stores.ebay.com/rcprodriver?_rdc=1

I just bought the ESC linked below. Its in hobbykings USA warehouse, so shipping is pretty fast.
I bought it cause of the low price, and because it looks like a rebranded leapord ESC I already have...which works well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32827

Only thing is it comes with 3.5mm bullet plugs....and I think the volcano's motor has 4.0mm plugs. But $30 for a brushless ESC is dirt cheap, and worth it even if you have to put new plugs on it.