RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Thinking about an Avalanche XTE (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11374846-thinking-about-avalanche-xte.html)

Hulk1211 01-18-2013 08:13 AM

Thinking about an Avalanche XTE

So I am thinking about getting an Avalanche XTE. A guy locally has a new never used one, for what Ifeel is a pretty good deal at $275.00. I've never messed with the electrics much. Is there anything should upgrade right away on this model if I decide to go with it?

It looks pretty damn fun in the video. But, with all things I am sure this has a weakness. So I am looking around for suggestions.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-18-2013 11:01 AM

RE: Thinking about an Avalanche XTE

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Hulk1211

So I am thinking about getting an Avalanche XTE. A guy locally has a new never used one, for what I feel is a pretty good deal at $275.00. I've never messed with the electrics much. Is there anything should upgrade right away on this model if I decide to go with it?

It looks pretty damn fun in the video. But, with all things I am sure this has a weakness. So I am looking around for suggestions.

Is this a private sale, or a dealer? Id be weary of a dealer selling under the MAP price (which is $299 right now)
Other than that, upgrade the steering servo.
Get lipos with higher MAH for better runtimes.
Seems I heard something before about the driveshafts. I dont know that its a common issue tho.
Other than that, make sure to check all screw/bolts/nuts, spur/pinion mesh ect before running it.

Hulk1211 01-19-2013 08:02 AM

I pretty sure it is not a dealer. I found in on CL. The guy just said that he bought and opened it for his son at Christmas time and decided it is way way to much of a truck for his young boy to have right now.

I'm going to look at it today to make sure it has not been ran like he says. Then I might pick it up.

What steering servo do you think I should get?

nitrosportsandrunner 01-19-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

I pretty sure it is not a dealer. I found in on CL. The guy just said that he bought and opened it for his son at Christmas time and decided it is way way to much of a truck for his young boy to have right now.

I'm going to look at it today to make sure it has not been ran like he says. Then I might pick it up.

What steering servo do you think I should get?

If its been run, I wouldnt pay more than $250. Honestly Id try to get it for $225.
And test it out for sure.

I use MG996r servos. Any servo you find that is metal geared and has 150-200oz of torque should work well.

lifeismuddy 01-22-2013 04:17 AM

A great truck for the price! We move a ton of these and we own 2 for personal use. Its hit or miss on issues like dogbones and front center shafts bending under hard abuse. Run 2 5000 40-50c lipos and you get 30-40 min of average driving time. Like nitro stated I would go for 225-250.00

Hulk1211 01-25-2013 05:17 AM

I ended up picking it up for $230.00. It was brand new. It's bigger than I expected and looks pretty well built. It has been crazy cold out so I have not ran it yet. Iemailed the guy Ialways buy my parts through and he said he just ordered a ton of those MG996r servos. He plans on selling them for $13.99 with free shipping. Ilooked around on eBay like suggested. It looks like they sell for around $9 - $10 ea. shipped out of china and about $20 - $30 ea. shipped from the U.S.

So I think for $13.99 you can't beat that since you will have it in 3 days or less. No one likes waiting. We are all kids in this hobby haha. I'll post up if he does email me a link to them.

lifeismuddy 01-25-2013 05:24 AM

You got a great price! We have not had any servo issues with these trucks, the steering servo could be faster and a lil more powerful but under driving they are fine. Have fun with it! Upgrade those lipos 2 5000+ and you will have plenty of runtime

nitrosportsandrunner 01-25-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

I ended up picking it up for $230.00. It was brand new. It's bigger than I expected and looks pretty well built. It has been crazy cold out so I have not ran it yet. I emailed the guy I always buy my parts through and he said he just ordered a ton of those MG996r servos. He plans on selling them for $13.99 with free shipping. I looked around on eBay like suggested. It looks like they sell for around $9 - $10 ea. shipped out of china and about $20 - $30 ea. shipped from the U.S.

So I think for $13.99 you can't beat that since you will have it in 3 days or less. No one likes waiting. We are all kids in this hobby haha. I'll post up if he does email me a link to them.

$230 practically new is a great price (shoot id pay more shipped as a dealer)
And $13.99 for those servos is great.
They just have more torque than the stock on and with those big tires youll want them.