RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Caldera 10E motor upgrade (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11408784-caldera-10e-motor-upgrade.html)

Eshore 02-13-2013 02:57 PM

Caldera 10E motor upgrade

Very new to the Redcats brand, but I do have a Caldera 10E brushless. I wanted to know if this thing can take a motor upgrade such as a Castle Mamba Max, or Velineon Vxl-3s. Or do they have any upgrade motors and ESC's for this Caldera 10E. I appreciate all the help in advance.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-14-2013 07:09 AM

RE: Caldera 10E motor upgrade

ORIGINAL: Eshore

Very new to the Redcats brand, but I do have a Caldera 10E brushless. I wanted to know if this thing can take a motor upgrade such as a Castle Mamba Max, or Velineon Vxl-3s. Or do they have any upgrade motors and ESC's for this Caldera 10E. I appreciate all the help in advance.
Hi
the stock ESC is a ezrun 35 amp. While it CAN take a bigger motor, I dont reccomend it.
If you want more speed/power its best to upgrade the motor and ESC.
The Traxxas vxl, AE SC450/Reedy, Mamba Max....really any 1/10 scale system that has a 540 size motor and that the motor is between 3000-4000kv will work.
side note: for the vxl motor you have to remove the black plastic cap off the end of the motor for it to fit in the caldera.

Eshore 02-14-2013 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Hi
the stock ESC is a ezrun 35 amp. While it CAN take a bigger motor, I dont reccomend it.
The Traxxas vxl, AE SC450/Reedy, Mamba Max....really any 1/10 scale system that has a 540 size motor and that the motor is between 3000-4000kv will work.
side note: for the vxl motor you have to remove the black plastic cap off the end of the motor for it to fit in the caldera.
So as long as I change both ESC&Motor it can take the Mamba Max or Vxl-3s without problem of size and gears. And keep it at 540 between 3000-4000kv. Have you ever tried it or do any one have pics or vid of it. Just very curious on making future upgrades, and would like to know what was used in the process. Thanks alot

nitrosportsandrunner 02-14-2013 09:12 AM

Hi
So as long as I change both ESC & Motor it can take the Mamba Max or Vxl-3s without problem of size and gears. And keep it at 540 between 3000-4000kv. Have you ever tried it or do any one have pics or vid of it. Just very curious on making future upgrades, and would like to know what was used in the process. Thanks alot
my buddy dropped a 1/8 scale system out of a earthquake 8e into his caldera. thats overpowering the truck and did cause some driveline issues.
The stock motor is 3300kv. The closer you keep to that the less you would need to change the pinion gear. if you put in a 3500kv motor you wont have to change the gearing at all.
I would reccomend using a ESC that has adjustable punch control. The caldera doesnt have a slipper clutch, so the ESC will need to do the job of lessoning the initial shock load on the driveline. A true 540 motor will have more torque than the stock, finned out, 380 motor it comes with.
So, pretty much any 540 motor of the right KV range will work, and any decent ESC with adjustable things like punch control/brake force ect.
The mamba max has all those adjustments.
Personally, Id get a ezrun 60a system with 3300-3500kv motor. But thats just cause I prefer the program card it comes with to the USB cable the mamba needs to be programed.
Ive put a vxl system into a volcano before. Both trucks can handle more power, as long as the ESC is setup right.

Eshore 02-14-2013 09:49 AM

Hi
So as long as I change both ESC&Motor it can take the Mamba Max or Vxl-3s without problem of size and gears. And keep it at 540 between 3000-4000kv. Have you ever tried it or do any one have pics or vid of it. Just very curious on making future upgrades, and would like to know what was used in the process. Thanks alot
[/quote]
my buddy dropped a 1/8 scale system out of a earthquake 8e into his caldera. thats overpowering the truck and did cause some driveline issues.
The stock motor is 3300kv. The closer you keep to that the less you would need to change the pinion gear. if you put in a 3500kv motor you wont have to change the gearing at all.
I would reccomend using a ESC that has adjustable punch control. The caldera doesnt have a slipper clutch, so the ESC will need to do the job of lessoning the initial shock load on the driveline. A true 540 motor will have more torque than the stock, finned out, 380 motor it comes with.
So, pretty much any 540 motor of the right KV range will work, and any decent ESC with adjustable things like punch control/brake force ect.
The mamba max has all those adjustments.
Personally, Id get a ezrun 60a system with 3300-3500kv motor. But thats just cause I prefer the program card it comes with to the USB cable the mamba needs to be programed.
Ive put a vxl system into a volcano before. Both trucks can handle more power, as long as the ESC is setup right.
[/quote]
Ok maybe I'll just drop a Vxl-3s system in it. I have one in my Stampede and in my Rustler and they run good. I wanted to try something with the Caldera and wanted to know what folks used. I would love to give it that punch and a little speed increase. I was also looking at the Mamba Max Pro 3800kv system, but didn't know if it would work right with gearing. I appreciate your help on the issue, and if you have anymore insight to help then I appreciate it alot.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-14-2013 12:17 PM

are you using a nimh or a 2s lipo battery?
if you are not already running a 2s lipo do that instead. big performance increase over a 7.2v nimh battery.

If you are already using a 2s lipo...you "can" run a 3s given you do a couple of things.
1, add a heat sink (preferably with a fan) to the motor
2, wire the ESC's fan to be powered off of the reciever 3rd channel port (otherwise it will get to many volts an die)
If you do those things, you can run 3s.

If you go with the vxl system, just make sure to "roll on" the throttle. The vxl system has no punch control...which slowly ramps up the power for you. Your finger will have to act as the punch control.
The caldera has no slipper clutch to soak up the shock of a landing with throttle on or if you punch the throttle hard from a stand still. The stock system has punch control and a smaller motor. If you go to a torque-ier motor (vxl) and a ESC with no punch control there will be more load put on the drivetrain. Just keep that in mind when driving and it will be fine. Forget, and punch that throttle hard and either the spur gear will strip or a diff gear will.

Eshore 02-14-2013 12:52 PM

Ok thats some good info. I am running 2s Lipo's, but I do want to run 3s, so I will have to see until I choose what I want to do. But I may try running that heat sink and fan option for now, but may still move to the vxl later. I didn't know you could run 3s Lipo with it, but i guess you can once you do the configuration you graphed out for me.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-14-2013 02:19 PM

Ok thats some good info. I am running 2s Lipo's, but I do want to run 3s, so I will have to see until I choose what I want to do. But I may try running that heat sink and fan option for now, but may still move to the vxl later. I didn't know you could run 3s Lipo with it, but i guess you can once you do the configuration you graphed out for me.
yeh, the only reason redcat states "2s lipo ready" is due to the esc fan powered by the esc. The fan will die if you run 3s. just pull the fan's wire out of the esc and add are RX plug and wire so it can be powered by the receiver.
That plus some added heat sink/fan to the motor will do the job.
Ive run the same setup on a tornado epx pro/3s lipo.
The caldera is a bit heavier, but its also geared lower than the tornado.

Eshore 02-14-2013 04:21 PM

yeh, the only reason redcat states "2s lipo ready" is due to the esc fan powered by the esc. The fan will die if you run 3s. just pull the fan's wire out of the esc and add are RX plug and wire so it can be powered by the receiver.
That plus some added heat sink/fan to the motor will do the job.
Ive run the same setup on a tornado epx pro/3s lipo.
The caldera is a bit heavier, but its also geared lower than the tornado.
So unplug the fan wires from the ESC and wire them to an RX and run that into the receiver, and add the heat sink. Then I can run the 3s Lipo. Man you know your stuff. I think I'm going to try that.
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 02-14-2013 05:40 PM

Id love to say I know everything...truth is Ive just made many mistakes...LOL
Burnt up a fan on a ezrun 35a running a 3s lipo before I realized it needs to be powered off the reciever:eek:
The fans on other ezrun ESC's dont have that issue. But on the 35a, the voltage the fan will get from the esc when using a 3s lipo will be too high. If you did it, you would notice the fan sounding much faster. It will work for a time, but will at some point fail. You dont want your cooling fan to die...especially if you are running 3s lipo.

over 7 years, running lots of custom built or "well used" trucks means I have a fair bit of wrenching time spent on over 150 different RC models now. And Ive owned basically all of the redcat electric models.

Ill be buying the new redcat Mirage and S-TRYK-R when the 1st come out in march!
Redcat's brushless models are some of the best "bang for your buck" rc's out there.

Eshore 02-14-2013 06:57 PM

Yeah Redcat does put out the bang for the buck! I hope to get more knowledge and know how on these RC's.

Eshore 02-14-2013 09:05 PM

Burnt up a fan on a ezrun 35a running a 3s lipo before I realized it needs to be powered off the reciever:eek:
The fans on other ezrun ESC's dont have that issue. But on the 35a, the voltage the fan will get from the esc when using a 3s lipo will be too high. If you did it, you would notice the fan sounding much faster. It will work for a time, but will at some point fail. You dont want your cooling fan to die...especially if you are running 3s lipo.

over 7 years, running lots of custom built or "well used" trucks means I have a fair bit of wrenching time spent on over 150 different RC models now. And Ive owned basically all of the redcat electric models.

Ill be buying the new redcat Mirage and S-TRYK-R when the 1st come out in march!
Redcat's brushless models are some of the best "bang for your buck" rc's out there.
Would you reccommend this type of setup to work well with the Caldera?<h4 style="margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 1.231em; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.25; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">3in1 RC Car Brushless Combo 3400kv Motor + 120A waterproof SC8 ESC TRUCK EZRUN</h4><br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 02-15-2013 07:55 AM

over 7 years, running lots of custom built or ''well used'' trucks means I have a fair bit of wrenching time spent on over 150 different RC models now. And Ive owned basically all of the redcat electric models.

Redcat's brushless models are some of the best ''bang for your buck'' rc's out there.
Would you reccommend this type of setup to work well with the Caldera? <h4 style=''margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 1.231em; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.25; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;''>http://3in1 RC Car Brushless Combo 3...SC TRUCK EZRUN </h4><br type=''_moz'' />
Its overkill to be honest. And that motor may require cutting some of the chassis for it to fit (might be larger diameter than a 540)
I know a 550 motor will not fit without modding the chassis, as that is what my buddy did to fit a 1/8 scale system in his. (the kid is a RC hack, LOL)

Id do this combo:
esc: http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-60a-...-1-10-car.html
motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-ezrun-...lue-motor.html

Redcat is coming out with a couple of new brushless models this march. Once they are out, I will know how much their systems will cost and the specs.
Even the system that comes in the epx pro's would be a decent upgrade, as its a 45 or 60amp ESC with a true 540 can motor.

The Twister's system is a 90amp ESC with a 540 can "sensorless" (smoother) motor that is 3930kv. That system I could get you for not much over $100 and should be plenty powerful for the caldera. I know some twister owners have run 65mph on a 3s. Thats double the speed you are getting with your caldera on 2s. The only thing is the motor has a 5mm shaft (not 3mm like the caldera's motor) so a aftermarket pinion gear with a 5mm hole would be needed. Robinson racing makes one that would work im sure.

There are plenty of options. Personally, Id stay away from anything meant for 1/8 scale or SC trucks (4 pole motor) as these will produce enough torque to ensure broken driveline parts. The SC brushless systems provide more torque at lower RPMs. Thats fine on 2wd or even 4wd trucks with narrow SC tires and a slipper clutches. Not so much on the caldera with fat tires and no slipper.

The systems I just mentioned will provide more speed without ripping the spur gear or diff gears to shreds every time you take it out.

remember, your ESC is rated at 35amp. and the motor is really a 380 size. So even the ezrun 60a combos with a 540 motor will be more powerful(epx pro system)....and could possibly either be geared up....or you could run a higher kv motor (stock motor is 3570kv) so something 3500-4300. You can raise the kv some because a 540 motor will have more torque to move the truck. A higher KV motor has a simillar effect as gearing up the truck. This can be done with a motor providing more torque.
The end result of a slightly higher KV, 540 motor and a ESC that can handle double the amps will be faster acceleration and more top speed. It will also handle 3s lipo without generating as much heat.

The twister's brushless system or the epx pro's brushless system would work. I can get either for about $110 shipped. With either system, you will need a differnt pinion gear. The epx pro system has a 3300kv motor, so a slightly larger pinion will be needed. The twister's system has a larger motor shaft, so a pinion the same size but with a 5mm hole would be needed.

I think I rambled a bit here, but the point being you want to upgrade the power system without overpowering the driveline.
The system you linked could possibly work if your program the ESC right and use a good throttle control. But it is meant for bigger models and could just result in a truck that spends more time on the shelf waiting for new parts[&o]

Eshore 02-15-2013 10:36 AM

Would you reccommend this type of setup to work well with the Caldera?<h4>http://3in1 RC Car Brushless Combo 3...SC TRUCK EZRUN</h4><br type="" />
[/quote]
Its overkill to be honest. And that motor may require cutting some of the chassis for it to fit (might be larger diameter than a 540)
I know a 550 motor will not fit without modding the chassis, as that is what my buddy did to fit a 1/8 scale system in his. (the kid is a RC hack, LOL)

Id do this combo:
esc: http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-60a-...-1-10-car.html
motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-ezrun-...lue-motor.html

Redcat is coming out with a couple of new brushless models this march. Once they are out, I will know how much their systems will cost and the specs.
Even the system that comes in the epx pro's would be a decent upgrade, as its a 45 or 60amp ESC with a true 540 can motor.

The Twister's system is a 90amp ESC with a 540 can "sensorless" (smoother) motor that is 3930kv. That system I could get you for not much over $100 and should be plenty powerful for the caldera. I know some twister owners have run 65mph on a 3s. Thats double the speed you are getting with your caldera on 2s. The only thing is the motor has a 5mm shaft (not 3mm like the caldera's motor) so a aftermarket pinion gear with a 5mm hole would be needed. Robinson racing makes one that would work im sure.

There are plenty of options. Personally, Id stay away from anything meant for 1/8 scale or SC trucks (4 pole motor) as these will produce enough torque to ensure broken driveline parts. The SC brushless systems provide more torque at lower RPMs. Thats fine on 2wd or even 4wd trucks with narrow SC tires and a slipper clutches. Not so much on the caldera with fat tires and no slipper.

The systems I just mentioned will provide more speed without ripping the spur gear or diff gears to shreds every time you take it out.

remember, your ESC is rated at 35amp. and the motor is really a 380 size. So even the ezrun 60a combos with a 540 motor will be more powerful(epx pro system)....and could possibly either be geared up....or you could run a higher kv motor (stock motor is 3570kv) so something 3500-4300. You can raise the kv some because a 540 motor will have more torque to move the truck. A higher KV motor has a simillar effect as gearing up the truck. This can be done with a motor providing more torque.
The end result of a slightly higher KV, 540 motor and a ESC that can handle double the amps will be faster acceleration and more top speed. It will also handle 3s lipo without generating as much heat.

The twister's brushless system or the epx pro's brushless system would work. I can get either for about $110 shipped. With either system, you will need a differnt pinion gear. The epx pro system has a 3300kv motor, so a slightly larger pinion will be needed. The twister's system has a larger motor shaft, so a pinion the same size but with a 5mm hole would be needed.

I think I rambled a bit here, but the point being you want to upgrade the power system without overpowering the driveline.
The system you linked could possibly work if your program the ESC right and use a good throttle control. But it is meant for bigger models and could just result in a truck that spends more time on the shelf waiting for new parts[&amp;o]
[/quote]
I may be interested in your deal thats not much over a $100 with an 5mm pinion gear. I don't want to tear the thing apart, but I do want power and speed if I can, so I can have fun with the fellas. Or the Twister's system you spoke about. I may want to try. Keep me informed on the way to go, but also on a budget.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-15-2013 03:19 PM

the epx pro system with ezrun s-10 ESC and novatech 540 3300kv motor is honestly the one I would do. You will need to get a pinion gear 2 teeth higher, but other than that its a "drop in" deal.
And if you wanted to, you can get $50-$60 for the stock system on ebay or RCU marketplace (that system is $80 new on hobbypartz.com)

So, the epx pro system plus a pinion gear will cost you around $120 in total.

The Twister setup with lansu 90amp ESC and 3930kv motor (with 5mm shaft) will also need a pinion gear bought and run you pretty much the same.

Either system will provide more power as they have larger motors and can supply more amps to the motor.

The ezrun is the one I would get, as the optional program card is $10 on ebay and makes it easy to set the brake/punch control and other settings. Again, those settings will give you the power increase without ripping apart the truck.

One other small note, if you start using 3s lipo...plan on buying new tires before long. They will wear out fairly quickly, especially if driven on pavement. If you decide on getting one of the Redcat system, just PM me.

Thanx.

Eshore 02-15-2013 07:19 PM

the epx pro system with ezrun s-10 ESC and novatech 540 3300kv motor is honestly the one I would do. You will need to get a pinion gear 2 teeth higher, but other than that its a "drop in" deal.
And if you wanted to, you can get $50-$60 for the stock system on ebay or RCU marketplace (that system is $80 new on hobbypartz.com)

The Twister setup with lansu 90amp ESC and 3930kv motor (with 5mm shaft) will also need a pinion gear bought and run you pretty much the same.

Either system will provide more power as they have larger motors and can supply more amps to the motor.

The ezrun is the one I would get, as the optional program card is $10 on ebay and makes it easy to set the brake/punch control and other settings. Again, those settings will give you the power increase without ripping apart the truck.

One other small note, if you start using 3s lipo...plan on buying new tires before long. They will wear out fairly quickly, especially if driven on pavement. If you decide on getting one of the Redcat system, just PM me.

Thanx.

Are these systems waterproof? I was hoping to have something along that nature also. (Power, Speed, 3s Lipo able, without tearing gears apart easy or overheating motor/ESC, &amp; waterproof, and cost effective)
<br type="_moz" />

Eshore 02-16-2013 09:32 PM

Thanx.

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">Are these systems waterproof? I was hoping to have something along that nature also. (Power, Speed, 3s Lipo able, without tearing gears apart easy or overheating motor/ESC, &amp; waterproof, and cost effective)</span>
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 02-17-2013 10:44 AM

nope.
gotta go VXL, Venom, or something like that 4 waterproof.

Eshore 02-17-2013 11:27 AM

nope.

Check this out and tell me if this is Hobbywing ESC you told me about. He put it in water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBrUeL7RSxc

nitrosportsandrunner 02-17-2013 12:21 PM

nope.

Check this out and tell me if this is Hobbywing ESC you told me about. He put it in water.
honestly I dont know.
its hard to find info on the ezrun s-10 ESC that comes in the epx pro models.
there are several ezrun versions which look simillar, and of those there are a couple of versions.

I know that some of the newer, 1/8 scale ESC's say waterproof, but I dont know for certain about any of the 1/10 scale systems.

Eshore 02-17-2013 12:49 PM

nope.

honestly I dont know.
its hard to find info on the ezrun s-10 ESC that comes in the epx pro models.
there are several ezrun versions which look simillar, and of those there are a couple of versions.

I know that some of the newer, 1/8 scale ESC's say waterproof, but I dont know for certain about any of the 1/10 scale systems.
Yeah, because if I get the system from you that you recommend I would love for it to be waterproof. But I did read my ESC from my Caldera paper and its says the same thing that it showed in that youtube video he showed. I'm loving this Caldera more everyday, but would love to do what we talked about. (more speed, power, but would love the added water protection) I would also love a better tire, but that secondary to what I need. Keep me informed as I learn a little more on the Caldera.
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 02-17-2013 04:12 PM

I have emailed redcat to see if they can confirm the waterproof status of the caldera esc and the epx pro esc.

Eshore 02-17-2013 04:17 PM

cool, I hope its true

nitrosportsandrunner 02-17-2013 06:58 PM

cool, I hope its true
I found the manual for the ezrun S10 ESC which comes in the epx pros.
It is only dustproof.

Eshore 02-18-2013 06:18 PM

cool, I hope its true
It is only dustproof.

So if I want to try the 3s Lipo in the Caldera, do I take something I an old servo plug and cut the wires and pull the wires from the fan from the ESC and connect the red to red and black to black. Then plug the plug of the new connection into the Receiver box 3rd channel and it should give the fan power?
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 02-18-2013 06:24 PM

cool, I hope its true
It is only dustproof.

So if I want to try the 3s Lipo in the Caldera, do I take something I an old servo plug and cut the wires and pull the wires from the fan from the ESC and connect the red to red and black to black. Then plug the plug of the new connection into the Receiver box 3rd channel and it should give the fan power?
<br type=''_moz'' />
Bingo, you got it!
Dont forget to add a fan/heat sink to the motor. it will need it.

Eshore 02-18-2013 07:11 PM

ok, and won't forget the heat sink

Eshore 02-19-2013 08:57 PM

I got everything hooked up, just waiting for the ground to dry up. A little rain here.

Eshore 02-20-2013 02:14 PM

Man I ran the fan and put on the motor heatsink, and boy its moving and torquing! I checked it a few times to see if it was running hot , but with the cold weather we got I really couldn't tell. Now if it runs strong like this with the 3s Lipo's, I can't wait to get the combo you recommended. What you think?

Eshore 02-23-2013 09:01 PM

cool, I hope its true
It is only dustproof.

<br type="" />
Bingo, you got it!
Dont forget to add a fan/heat sink to the motor. it will need it.

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">If it runs strong like this with the 3s Lipo's, I can't wait to get the combo you recommended. What you think?</span>

Daverr 03-27-2015 08:16 AM

I put the vxl 3 in mine with 3 cell 5000 lipo and all I can say is damm I like it can pull a wheelie at will at any speed. And I have a 54 tooth jato gear with 17 tooth spur