RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Pinion gears (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11495008-pinion-gears.html)

Shady9503 04-28-2013 04:49 PM

Pinion gears

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure this out for weeks but I simply can't, I'm stripping pinion gears on my Tornado S30 like a madman, I've been through maybe 3 sets of front and rear pinions now in like 4-5 days, any input would be great! everything else on the buggy is awesome, starts first pull and always runs a full tank always keeps it tune :)

nitrosportsandrunner 04-28-2013 04:55 PM

RE: Pinion gears

might have to replace the ball bearings as well. If they are not good, the pinion gear will have play and not have a good mesh with the ring gear.

also, the plastic diff cases can get stripped out where you screw them together. If they dont stay tight, this will be the same as giving the pinion gears play.

Id just replace the diff gears and case/bearings. If there is play, the gears will strip.

Shady9503 04-28-2013 04:58 PM

Ok i'll do that, thanks for the advice! also if that doesnt work just wondering if it's possible that my brakes could be the cause? they're pretty good, loose when idling and accelrating but when i brake the wheels will lock lol should i ease upon my braking habits? maybe not brake as hard?

Dads like rc too 04-28-2013 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

Ok i'll do that, thanks for the advice! also if that doesnt work just wondering if it's possible that my brakes could be the cause? they're pretty good, loose when idling and accelrating but when i brake the wheels will lock lol should i ease upon my braking habits? maybe not brake as hard?
Definately shocking your drivetrain whether it's from jambing on brakes or constantly full throttle starting can wear out your diff gears. I would first recommend what Nitrosports said. The plastic case will wear over time. Keep an eye on eBay, a lot of times you can pick up a complete diff from a new teardown for $9.99 with free shipping. Also, I think if you look on the Volcano parts page, they list a hardened set of gears that are the same gear as the Tornado. I've used these in an old HPI truck I had and they worked great.

Shady9503 04-28-2013 05:18 PM

I don't go WOT too much since im usually bashing around in a nice park near me that has huge wide open fields its great but when i do go full throttle i do have a habit of just slamming the brakes, ill have to slow down a bit on that then :P and grab those cases and bearings, i have a redcat store 2 mins from my house and they have everything which is great! thanks for all the advice guys ill let you know if it solves my issue! :D

nitrosportsandrunner 04-28-2013 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

I don't go WOT too much since im usually bashing around in a nice park near me that has huge wide open fields its great but when i do go full throttle i do have a habit of just slamming the brakes, ill have to slow down a bit on that then :P and grab those cases and bearings, i have a redcat store 2 mins from my house and they have everything which is great! thanks for all the advice guys ill let you know if it solves my issue! :D
Lucky!

Shady9503 04-28-2013 05:33 PM

yeah its great! they host races and events, customer service is great, theyll even do repairs for begginers it's fantastic :D