RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Caldera sc knuckle screw? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11601308-caldera-sc-knuckle-screw.html)

Garfield81 07-12-2014 09:45 PM

Caldera sc knuckle screw?

Just got a caldera sc 10e and I have to start by saying I am really impressed by the power even without using lipo's. My son (shouldn't have handed the remote to him) ran the truck into the curb and the truck jumped up and kept going. However noticed one of the front wheels had an excessive negative camber. Turns out the screw on the knuckle? Is missing. Is that a standard screw that I can get an hardware store or do I have to get it from a redcat dealer/online?

Thanks

Gizzmoe 07-14-2014 06:37 AM

I have a Caldera 10e MT and it looks like it uses the same c-hub/knuckles. I have had this problem before. First of all, you'll most likely have to buy a new set of knuckles because what usually happens is the hole in the knuckle gets stripped out/warped, which is why the screw comes out. The first time this happened, I thought the screw just came out so I put another one in it fell out within minutes.

The screws for the updated c-hub/knuckles are standard 4mm x 10mm screws I believe. The screws/bushings come with the c-hub set. (Why? I don't know. I have several spare c-hubs because I've never broken one, but I needed the hardware for the knuckles). If the bushing came out, you'll probably need to order a set of c-hubs to get a replacement.

Lastly, be careful when ordering c-hubs, knuckles, or any replacement screws for the caldera. At some point, they updated these parts, but only one of the parts got a new part# (the c-hub: The updated part# is BS903-017N). The knuckles and screws for the truck all have the same part #. The old knuckles have a smaller hole for the old-style 3mm screw, and also the old screws for the truck apparently used to be phillips head screws with different threading than the updated button head hex screws. It seems that a lot of dealers are selling some of the old stock, so the only way to be sure is to ask the dealer or to order directly from redcat because they have all the updated stuff.

Garfield81 07-14-2014 06:49 AM

Hi Gizzmoe,
Thank you for your reply. I did order a new set of C hubs because as you mentioned I could not find the screws by themselves. I did however try swapping the screw from the other knuckle to see if it was stripped and I seemed like it had a tight fit so I did not order another set of knuckles. Did you get the aluminum knuckles?

Gizzmoe 07-14-2014 08:36 AM

I did not get the aluminum knuckles... yet. If I go through the 2 extra sets of knuckles I still have, I think I'll invest in the aluminum ones for sure.

I would remove the knuckle with the missing screw and double check the hole just to be safe. I did the exact same thing you did the first time this happened: I put another screw in and it felt tight enough, but it fell out again real quick. When I removed the knuckle, I could see the hole was stretched out a bit at the opening.

Garfield81 07-23-2014 12:22 PM

I got the C Hub set with the screws and I replaced the missing screw. Just so that they would not come out again I tightened them pretty tight but noticed I could not steer the car anymore. So I had to loosen the screws a little to be to steer. Question: how tight should these screws be so that they don't fall off again and also be able to steer the car. I know it's probably going to be trial and error but any tips/tricks to keep these screws from falling off?

nitrosportsandrunner 07-25-2014 07:41 PM

on most any RC you can over tighten those screws and prevent it from steering. since the hub is plastic, it just tightens down and clamps itself to the knuckle (or vise versa)
Basically, tighten it and test by hand if it can steer without resistance (resistance beyond that of the servo itself) if there is extra resistance, just back off 1/8 turn at a time until it turns smoothly.
I don't know for sure, but I think there may be "plastic" Loctite. The screw on the bottom of the knuckles are known for shacking themselves loose. As they loosen, they damage the threads of the plastic knuckle, then they just fall out.
It may be possible to use some plumbing thread tape around the threads of the screw before installing it...to give it better grip inside the knuckle. Ive done this a couple times but in other models, so I cant say for sure if it will work....but wont hurt to try.
You may be able to find the correct screw in a hardware store...in the section with all the cardboard boxes. if your model is newer, just look for 4mm x 10mm screws. If they have them, you can likely buy a dozen for the price of one set of knuckles.
A buddy of mine got desperate and used super glue. the gel type. this can work, but 1) you cant get the glue anywhere but on the threads and 2) you wont be able to remove the screw without ruining the hole of the knuckle....so if you ever needed to make a repair which required the knuckle to be removed, you'd then have to replace it. So, basically, this is a last resort.

Garfield81 07-28-2014 06:35 PM

Thanks nitrosportsandrunner for the reply. That's great to hear that I can find the screws in a local hardware store but there is also a bushing? that goes with it and also falls out with the screw. For now the screw seems to be holding in but if it drops out again it's either a trip to the local hardware store or some super glue.