RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Part # not listed on website and being sent wrong ESC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11643495-part-not-listed-website-being-sent-wrong-esc.html)

bjsmith919 12-10-2017 05:36 PM

Part # not listed on website and being sent wrong ESC

New to this site, this will only be my second time posting. Hope this one gets more replies than my first. For starters I bought a Landslide xte last week and after my first run and charge of batteries my ESC crapped out. Contacted Redcat and they are sending me a new one, only problem is the rep I spoke with told me that my truck takes a 120a ESC but in the parts book that come with it says it takes a 80a. Will the 120 fit? I purchased one from my local hobby shop and it's a 80, the 120 they had wouldn't fit. It was a Hobbywing EZRun brand. Second problem is I upgraded the shocks but one of the screws that hold the bottom of the shock in place is not listed on the website when I look up the part #. It is a BS501-059 B-Head Hex Machine Screw HM4*25. Any help than can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

PaulDeth 12-10-2017 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Redcat customer service has been very good and has quickly gotten replacement parts to me.
All the literature I see says the correct esc is an ez-run 80 / hobbywing wp-80.
At first glance 80a seems a bit light for a 4s machine however the 550 size motor is smaller than many 1/8 trucks use. The ez-run 80 is the right one
A hobbywing wp-100/120 amp unit. for the TR-MT8e could be made to work.

Your screw is a socket head m4, 25mm long A good hardware store or the hobby shop should have it. Also, get a 2.5 and 2.0 spin-tite [screw driver] while you are there.

That Landside xte is a stout looking unit, have fun.

P.S. be sure to set the throttle according to the manual. Is is simple and if not done can be a problem..

bjsmith919 12-11-2017 05:20 AM

Sorry, didn't realize I needed to set the throttle. The guy at the hobby shop just told me that all my settings on my control should be set to 0 except for the steering range, he said a good place for beginners is between 50-75 in that department. I'll go back through the manual and look for throttle settings. Thanks for the reply and yes, it has taken a beating in the short time I've had it and has held up fairly well so far.

bjsmith919 12-11-2017 05:25 AM

And Redcat has been very helpful with me as well, very patient. I've talked to them just about every day since I got the truck last Tuesday. Only problem I've had is the ESC confusion but I'm gonna put in what they say I need, which is the 120 and hope it works.

RustyUs 12-11-2017 08:18 AM

A HobbyWing 120A WP-SC8 rebranded Recat ESC should fit with no issues.

PaulDeth 12-11-2017 11:29 AM

It appears the housing hugs the esc tightly? That may be a problem.

bjsmith919 12-11-2017 04:24 PM

Very tightly. The guy at the hobby shop tried with s Redcat branded 120 and it wouldn't fit, that's why he sold me the 80. The Redcat 120 was older and used so maybe they make them smaller now. Not sure

PaulDeth 12-11-2017 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Those housings are to keep leaves and mud away from the fan. It could be left off. If you do end up with a wp--100/120 go to a redcat 42mm 2500kv [191007r] motor. you will like it.

bjsmith919 12-11-2017 07:54 PM

That's a sweet truck. Either way, I'll be waiting for a while on it, CJ at customer service told me they were pretty backed up due to the holidays but I do want to hop it up. It's fast now but I want faster. Also have to do something about my tires, they balloon bad. Saw videos of people taping them but then talk about balance and how hard it is to re glue the tire so not sure if I'm ready to tackle that yet. It would have to help my speed and control though, from the looks of it only about a half inch of each tire is on the ground at full throttle

PaulDeth 12-12-2017 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I actually had a front wheel explode? from being overspeed. The rim broke and lost a couple of spokes.
I have a set of these with a street tred. They do not balloon because they are belted However they are not real tall [5.5] Link:
Belted Monster Truck tire Terrain Crusher by Sweep Racing for TRAXXAS E-REVO

bjsmith919 12-14-2017 05:20 AM

Thanks, I'll check them out. Tried taping them the other day but YouTube videos make it look alot easier than it is. Haven't run it since, want to make sure the glue is set good. I also have a question about cast and camber, I think I've pretty much got the toe in/out figured out but not sure about cast and camber. Should my tires be level or should they have a little lean to them?

bjsmith919 12-14-2017 03:52 PM

Got my ESC today. SC8-RTR. Package slip says it's 120A. Will I be able to upgrade my motor with this ESC and if so what can I go up to?

PaulDeth 12-14-2017 08:29 PM

2500kv

2 Attachment(s)
redcat 191007r 2500kv, maybe. the motor leads come out the side. Your original leads come out the back. There are many others for a variety of prices. I may have one but investigate first.

PaulDeth 12-14-2017 09:23 PM

I just watched some action vids of this truck. Very impressive. I would run it awhile before any upgrades. It really goes! lots of torque and speed.

bjsmith919 12-15-2017 04:15 PM

Talked to Redcat again today and they told me I could upgrade my ESC to a 6s and run 3s batteries and the stock motor would handle it. Would just need to change the gears to give it more top end speed instead of torque. Still may be in the market for a bigger motor as well

PaulDeth 12-15-2017 09:20 PM

end

2 Attachment(s)
Caster is not easily adjustable and only necessary for straight-line drag cars. It helps drag cars stay straight.
Camber and toe-in [or out] should be zero for general running. Slight camber and front toe-in will aid cars tight handling, a little.
Rear toe-in should always be zero. You may check these settings with a ruler.

Good luck with all this I hope I have been helpful. There are many ways of doing things and my suggestions I can only hope are good.

cootertwo 12-25-2018 07:25 AM

I've got a new Landslide coming tomorrow on the big brown truck. As far as I've read, the new ones come with a 120 amp ESC. As far as the front tires ballooning, you need to put some heavy oil in the center differential. I plan on doing that before I even fire it up for the first time. When the front tires balloon, it's because the front wheels are loosing traction, and all the torque/power is going to them, and not to the rear, where it needs to be. Also after the differential tuning, you'll no doubt need a wheelie bar of some kind. For the price, I think the Landslide is a great deal!:D