RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/3705430-%22official%22redcat-racing-truck-thread.html)

trpastor 12-29-2005 02:37 PM

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

EDITED INFO. THIS POST BEGAN AS A BUGGY THREAD BUT QUICKLY GOT A LOT OF POSTS ABOUT THE TRUCK. WHILE THE BUGGIES SEEMED TO BE PREFORMING VERY WELL, THE TRUCKS SEEMED TO HAVE ALMOST NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. SO IN APPTEMPT TO KEEP A POSSIBLE VERY GOOD BUGGY FROM BEING UNFAIRLY JUDGED BY A WEAK POINT IN THE PRODUCT LINE THIS THREAD WAS RENAMED FOR TRUCKS ONLY.

IF YOU WANT TO POST ABOUT THE 1/8TH SCALE BUGGIES PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3775361/anchors_3775361/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3775361]1/8TH SCALE BUGGY[/link]

IF YOU WANT TO POST ABOUT THE 1/10TH SCALE BUGGIES PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3775380/anchors_3775380/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3775380]1/10TH SCALE buggy[/link]

This Post is for anyone who owns a Himoto or Redcat Racing [truck]. They are the same models just different names.

So Please post your questions, experiences and suggestions/tweaks on this thread so that others can learn or make an educated decision on if this car is a possibility for them.

For those reading this - if you see posts that say "had one - it broke and was a piece of..." just know you can go on any thread for any brand car and see people saying the same things - so take it all with a grain of salt.

Keywords: Himoto, Redcat Racing, red cat, bazooka, team infinity, torpeda, syclone, tornado, hurricane, nitro buggy 1:8 1:10

trpastor 12-29-2005 02:45 PM

RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

1 Attachment(s)
I'll get it started with coule attachements of some pics of the himoto 1:8 scale buggy

Dale Gribble 12-29-2005 03:22 PM

I want to ask a question, and this is the one that I always have in the back of my mind and others I am sure- How easy is it to get parts for? I have to imagine pretty hard. I am sure it's a decent buggy, and it doesn't have to be a 'brand name' to be good. What happens when you break an a-arm or shock tower?

It would be helpful to others if you 'linked' them to actual part houses where you can get replacement parts.

Otherwise, I see a buggy that you spend less on up front, but after a spill it's on the shelf for quite a long time. That's why they're cheaper- no US distribution channels. I would rather spend $100 more on something I can get parts for from Tower or my LHS.

trpastor 12-29-2005 03:44 PM

Hey Rusty Schackleferd :)

I understand your concerns as far as getting parts and this is a major concern, but part of this thread is to hope for new suppliers to become "Visible" to users by means of this thread.

And also - the more people get them, the more support there will hopefully be (out of competition) and prices will stay competitive.

I know you can get parts for them at http://www.redcatracing.com/vehicle_...m?vehicle_id=1

I think they are a little overpriced here but perhaps will come down with other sources for parts becoming apparent.

I've heard they are 90% compatible with other makers like Kyosho (as it was designed around this model) but hopefully some others can relay their experience as to whether or not this is true.

They are vague details at this point but you'd be surprised how easy it is to get parts now for the smartech even though a year ago when the thread was made, no one could give a staright answer on that.

Anyone else know where to get parts for them at cheaper prices than redcatracing?

PS - I wanted to edit this in - thanks for asking politely and not just in a bashing way - and also at my LHS they only have so much. You break the wrong part and you have to wait a week for them to get the part in too. I can get some of them as fast (and without driving 10+ miles) online for the smartech.

j-boy 12-31-2005 07:29 PM

Thanks for starting a himoto thread. I finally got my cyclone running today. To cool! I still don't know if I've got it tuned right or not. Probably not but I finally got it to break without stalling. I cheated and cut down the spring on the throttle pull rod and now I have to bring the engine to idle manually on the transmitter. There just didn't seem to be enough adjustment on the pullrod to allow the engine to idle while the breaks were applied. It would yank the air intake completely closed every time I tried to break. Oh well none of that matters anyway now cause affter a couple hours out in the field I ran the dang thing smack into my house and broke the right front lower arm. I appreciate the info on ordering parts cause I was looking for the arms on dinballrcmart.com, which is where I got the car in the first place, and they seem to have parts for every type of car but the one they sold me. I would offer to search for himoto parts but I allready know that Himoto doesn't come up much in any kind of internet searches. When I was shopping for rc's the only other place I found Himoto's at all was on E-Bay. So I'll order my pull rod and front arms and after I'm back in business I'll post what I learn about this little Himoto as I learn it. Thanks again! P.S. I fully agree on the initial price issue. I'd still be crying if I had payed anything near $400 to $500. My himoto started out "ready to run" at $150. The only extras I needed Were fuel and a glow plug ignitor.

nitro-rc 12-31-2005 11:08 PM

I'm glad there is someone else that now has this car, when i first got this buggy i thought as screwed when i went looking for parts or factory settings for the carb. But after ready as much as i could on the web about carbs. and what fuels to use so that my buggy ran good. Now i'm proud to say i tuned my buggy to its absuolt peak I haad it out today and i got it up to 60 65 with a range of 250 to 300 feet If you blow the motor go and get the hpi .18 ss pull start its the same thing also revo makes a buggy thats the same thing just there logo (vh masterx-5) but i'll say it again my car did over 60 mph and i know that a lot of people can't say that about there cars or trucks or buggys If you run into any promblems just give me a shout I'm will always be looking for parts for these buggy's I think there of good quality just not good marketing thats all!!!!!!! Injoy your hurricane xp

nitro-rc 12-31-2005 11:17 PM

jboy the high speed should be 3 1/2 turns out from bottomes out the low speed should be flush and pull your filter off an you should only have a 1mm gap get your servo into the neturel postion and just turn the idle screw till you have that 1mm gapp remeber try this start the car agter you checked the high and low speed controls it will rev high at first then go to normal then just tweek the idle screw don't play with the transmitter idler it really does not help you will really get fustrated because it will always idle like crap and also when you run a couple tanks of fuel threw it you will notice it idles better and not so high

trpastor 01-01-2006 03:54 AM

I'm glad to hear this post is working out well already!

I am getting the 1/8 torpeda soon and will let you guys know when I get it how it works out for me. I can only believe the syclone is fast as it has a .18 engine in that light little 1:10 body, where as the torpeda is a .21 in the 1:8th. I just hope it's pretty fast too.

How were you able to determine the speed? That must be almost frighteningly fast! As I have a smartech now that I think probably gets about 40(best guess) and that is scarry coming right at you.

oonoiroo 01-01-2006 04:13 AM

Well for those of you who don't know...

1/10th On-Road Himoto RCs such as this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIMOTO-RC-R-C-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

Are actually copies of Selective RC's unnamed, not yet released 1/10th electric chassis.

RCUniverse has actually done a review(actually, a preview in which the guy tried it out) on this chassis in the link below.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=604

They say it's actually not bad.

j-boy 01-01-2006 11:49 PM

Hey dlaperle! By "high speed" do you mean the needle valve? And by low speed do you mean the idle adjustment screw? I hope this comes across sounding as if I'm stupid rather than rude. I just don't know all the lingo yet. thanks for the help!

trpastor 01-01-2006 11:52 PM

There should actually be 3 adj. screws. A high speed needle, a low speed and an idle screw. The main one is the most obvious. The idle usually comes out of the front of the engine a bit, and the low speed is usually located on the center side of the engine. Some combine the low and high speed needles together.

There's actually a great article on redcat racing about tuning that describes them pretty clearly (and I guess it may help that it's for the same or similar cars).

http://www.redcatracing.com/mod_details.cfm?mod_id=12

RC30GTR 01-02-2006 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: oonoiroo

Well for those of you who don't know...

1/10th On-Road Himoto RCs such as this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIMOTO-RC-R-C-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

Are actually copies of Selective RC's unnamed, not yet released 1/10th electric chassis.

RCUniverse has actually done a review(actually, a preview in which the guy tried it out) on this chassis in the link below.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=604

They say it's actually not bad.
Not trying to flame you but do you know the defination of "copies"? Himoto is alreayd in the market for years and now selective come up with a identical car and we are talking about "identical" So It is obvious that selective Rc is buying the chassis fro Himoto, repackage it and sell it.

I am not flaming these cars. In fact, i think they are good value for the prices they are asking for. I would still go with the original i.e. Himoto instead of buying a repackage unit (the unamed whatever). The whole idea of paying more for a copy and get less support is just stupid to me.

j-boy 01-02-2006 12:35 AM

Thanks trpastor. That redcat engine tuning MOD was what I've been needing since the start! Can't wait to get my front lower arm set now. Should have her all tuned up right by then! Wish me luck takin that front end apart! Later!

trpastor 01-02-2006 01:30 AM

That's the beauty of these things costing $150 round abouts. You'll be going in with a lot more confidence. I'm sure it will go fine. How is the manual (as far as the exploded view) on that model? Is there any visual support?

Good luck and maybe we can help with questions (though I'm really not that advanced myself)

j-boy 01-02-2006 06:24 PM

If your asking about the instruction manuel that came with the buggy ...... well all I can say is thats the only part so far I've really not enjoyed. For a beginner it's really pretty lame. It's translated from Japanese and sometimes the translations even make you laugh such as "when the throttle control is in neutral, the car does speed off even!" thats a part of what it says in the break in instructions word for word, no kidding. I guess it does include an exploded diagram of both the single and the two speed model but I couldn't imagine recieving this thing in pieces and using this diagram alone to build it. IF I can figure out the attachment procedure on the forum I'll scan the diagram and some pics of my cyclone. Later

nitro-rc 01-02-2006 08:12 PM

j-boy on the carb. there is 3 needles the one thats is connected to the servo is the the low speed adjustment that you should not have to touch but it should sit flush to the outside the one that sits inside the copper sleeve is the high speed adjustment that should be 3 1/2 to 4 turns out from bottomed out the idle adjustment screw sits under the air filter its a small screw when you adjust that try 1/4 turns at a time gett it running first make a adjusment then hit the throtle if its not where you want it adjust it then hit the throtle till you get it good luck with the tunning
I just want you to now that alot of the parts can also be found at hpi and tower but if you bring it to a good rc shop that has a good inventory like rc excitment www.rcexcitement.com they now there sh**

hildcycles 01-02-2006 09:47 PM

stores.ebay.com/Hild-Cycles has Redcat Racing parts at 15% off!

hildcycles 01-02-2006 09:55 PM

I have a 1:10 Redcat Racing Volcano STX Truck. It will only run with the glow starter on. If I take it off it will die.

Anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions?

J_D 01-02-2006 10:03 PM

buy a new glow plug

trpastor 01-03-2006 10:52 AM

Yes - that is a sign that the glow plug is bad. If someone could explain why that is that would be helpful too - does the glow plug actually stay lit while driving? It seems like the glow plug should always go out after you take it off and it shouldn't need it to be lit but I must be wrong.

Here's a list of FAQ's that may help on many of these types of questions (since a lot of us buying these cars may be pretty new to nitro's in general)

http://www.genxhobbies.com/rc_car_rc...htm#glowdriver

j-boy 01-03-2006 07:50 PM

Hey hildcycles. My .18 vertex seems to have this problem untill it gets warmed up. I also figured out pretty quick that if the outdoor temp on any given day is 30 or below, it starts a lot easier if I warm up the engine with a blow dryer.

Jay-r 01-04-2006 01:23 AM

For Redcatracing owners, you might like this video:)

http://www.redcatracing.com/video/homepage_video.mov

take care,
Jr.

darinoreman 01-05-2006 02:29 AM

Redcat Racing is looking for resellers.

Go here for their Tour:

https://www.redcatmotors.com/dealer/login2.asp

Dealer Benefits
at a glance.

* Access to products with wide range of models. 1/10 & 1/8 Scale Nitro Cars with all Parts Available
* Special dealer pricing. Dealers get an aggressive pricing structure on all Cars, Trucks & Parts.
* Ability to dropship. Let us ship the goods for you and drop-ship directly to your customer.
* Real-time online ordering is easy. Our back-end computer system is is the best in the industry.
* Real-time order tracking and reporting. See history on all orders placed, shipped and in process.

Become a dealer today

Come take a tour of the benefits of becoming a Redcat Racing reseller.

ScottHarp 01-06-2006 12:08 AM

Got mine running today. And I was not so impatient I would have probably had it somewhat tuned by now. I will pick up where I left off tomorrow, I need to let the glow plug ignitor charge.

RC_god75 01-06-2006 01:22 PM

What is a good replacement exhaust pipe, because I was noticing that the pipe included with the Volcano STX is plastic and I would prefer to have a polished one installed.