RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/3775361-%22official%22redcat-racing-1-8th-buggy-thread-not-truck-thread.html)

trpastor 10-15-2008 02:39 PM

RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Ahhhh, I was planning on it back in the day, but I don't have time to get good enough to not make a joke out of myself.

I'll have fun playing with it though!

Jas the Ace 10-16-2008 05:32 AM

[8D] Hi team, sure is great to see this "friendly" thread back to it's former glory.

Some great posting going on again, we love it. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Hey Louis, with the issue you have with the 27meg, do your usual checks of course, but one thing to keep in mind is the crystals. [sm=idea.gif]

As you may recall a long time ago I had similar problems, and worked it out to be an internal circuit fault in the crystal, and I have heard of others experiencing the same problem as well. (only a very small amount of people)

So if ya scratching your head wondering why you can't fix it, it's worth a try to swap the crystals and you could be surprised.

Grizz, nice new r/c toy you got yourself to play with at work mate, lol
I'm still trying to get me 5 minutes to reply to your email, expect something in a few days....I hope.

I better be off for now and finish off the last of the seafood I caught last weekend [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Forget about the stock markets, let's just share our toys!!!

grizz5 10-18-2008 06:22 AM

Hi boys,

trpastor - maybe a little leaner on the LSN too if its super rich.

Louis - on further inspection I discovered the real reason for my motor misery. The wrist pin clip on the exhaust port side of the piston either broke or came out and got scrunched by the piston at mega revs [&:]
The scraping on the bottom of the rod and casing is from the remains getting caught between these two.
I replaced the rod at 2 gallons as suggested due to the tightness of these motors during break in - maybe I didn't fit the clip fully into the groove [:-] (oops). I''m sure it was in properly, but seems like a bit of a coincidence eh ????
Oh well, one expensive lesson learned. At least it means I get the chance to mod my new sleeve and experiment a bit [>:]
That will be my next project.

Jas - seafood delights eh !!! Sounds like your making the boat pay it's way ;)

zaintlouis 10-18-2008 01:11 PM

Jazz, damn right on the suspect.. the crystal! i'm not gonna risk any of my buggies anymore on crystal types well .. i made my decision to replace it with a spectrum receiver. now let me see.. the problem now is.. where will i get the funds to buy it now lol ahh Santa where are you yoohoo!! lol just kidding

Griz, nice forensic finding! well what do you know.. lucky me it didn't happen to me lol. you have to keep an eye on the wrispin locks we have to make sure they sit well in the canal or groove or what ever u call it. nevertheless that experience made you a much better mechanic. even knowledge sometimes requires some collateral damage lol

any videos guys? cmon make one long race video guys.

by the way check this link out. guess who's the singer in the background music. good luck in your find :)

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/Zoeken.swf

trpastor 10-20-2008 08:00 PM

Ok Guys -

Need your help. I have 2 cars - the Ofna Hyper 7 and the ORIGINAL Hurricane HIMOTO :) That I picked up on ebay and then started this thread way back when. I've decided that I really need to just have one car that I can concentrate on.

I ended up getting the Ofna after the himoto, becuase I figured I'd get better support for parts and changing them at the local hobby shop with a name brand. BUT I've found, only 1 store out of 3 close by really have much ofna (and not the closest) and they STILL don't have most of the parts and have to order them just as I would do anyway.

SO... I guess my question is, have you all been pretty happy over the long haul with the Himoto/redcats? Do you think it's just as race worthy? Or does the PBS steering and other parts make a better car overall on the ofna?

The engine and servos I have in each really don't matter as I can swap them out any time.

I have to admit I have a fondness for the Himoto, as it's what started my passion and this thread, but I do feel like when I bring it into the hobby shop he's a little less willing to help just becuase he doesn't know the car I guess. And, I've had some people say the ofna is still better built.

Opinions?

Thanks
Tim

firebird78 10-20-2008 09:02 PM

I like both my torpedas (hurricanes).. but to be honest I see them as a really tuff bashing buggy...

zaintlouis 10-20-2008 11:55 PM

Pas, i got an Hyper7 Pro too both buggies gives great performance, but i chose my redcat over to be my race car coz i can put most of my mp777sp2 parts on it . My H7 ended up being a shelf queen. i just bought my third hitec Digital titanium gear servo for my redcat. i spend that much on my redcat already :) with regards to PB steering, i just don't see any significant difference at all or any better reason why we should get into it. most buggies that win the championships aren't using PB steering system.

HS are suppose to have good car technician and knows what they're selling, or knows the recommended parts to buy. There's nothing wrong with the shop just the guy. ask the store owner to replace him lol.

what do you know i still got my video! they didn't tale it off. damn i was really so dissappointed there aren't any jumps on this vid sigh..

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/3k5k1k-wmv if any of you here haven't seen this yet? i mounted an modded axe rossi cobra on it. Now it has a (do it your own) modded axe rossi Mamba engine on it :)

trpastor 10-21-2008 12:23 AM

Hey Zaint -

So have you swapped out all the parts for the 777? How much is original and how much is upgraded to the 777 parts?

Thanks
Tim

zaintlouis 10-21-2008 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey Zaint -

So have you swapped out all the parts for the 777? How much is original and how much is upgraded to the 777 parts?

Thanks
Tim
Well not all, what mp777 parts i got on my redcat? Front and rear shock towers, frt suspension - upper and lower arms (exept for the upper plate - that's the only thing you have to custom built which is very easy out of aluminum platform) , bumpers, radio receiver box, ( but not the servo plates maybe mp7.5 servo plates will fit) Mp777 Fuel tank, frt lft and rt light weight axels, knuckle arms, frt c hubs, brake disc. those are the kyosho parts that i have installed on my redcat right now.

oh before i forget I bought my kyosho parts from rc-mushroom.com. when i replaced my mp777sp2 parts with KingsHeads or Firionni, my stock parts went to my redcat. so nothing is wasted.

TTR_EB4 10-22-2008 07:26 AM

Hey guys, the thread is coming back :P, well thats good, how is everyone?, for those of you that dont know i'am a Hobao guy now hehe i have a Hyper 8.5 pro buggy, and a Hyper ST pro, <<my racers and the other 6 cars <yes i have 8 cars now lol, are just my bashers,

I have racing this weekend!! yay, and last meeting i qualified 5th in the Amain, (12 people in the amain and i qualified 5th!), i was scared like hell, my first time in the Amain,

I love being in the Bmain, becuase i always win the races haha, but i dont like being in Amain coz i lose haha. weird ay lolz

Well good catching up a lil, keep in touch guys

PS, the MBX6 looks nice, might be number #9 car for me :P

Mike

zaintlouis 10-23-2008 05:17 AM

ORIGINAL: TTR_EB4

Hey guys, the thread is coming back :P, well thats good, how is everyone?, for those of you that dont know i'am a Hobao guy now hehe i have a Hyper 8.5 pro buggy, and a Hyper ST pro, <<my racers and the other 6 cars <yes i have 8 cars now lol, are just my bashers,

I have racing this weekend!! yay, and last meeting i qualified 5th in the Amain, (12 people in the amain and i qualified 5th!), i was scared like hell, my first time in the Amain,

I love being in the Bmain, becuase i always win the races haha, but i dont like being in Amain coz i lose haha. weird ay lolz

Well good catching up a lil, keep in touch guys

PS, the MBX6 looks nice, might be number #9 car for me :P

Mike

Hey TR good luck in your races, but you will enhance your driving skills more if you race with the top guns. happy for you bro

trpastor 10-23-2008 09:19 AM

Thanks Zaint

It's been so long since I've messed with these, I need to first get through the track just by myself, without flipping 10 times! :)

It will start to come back though

grizz5 10-25-2008 04:44 AM

Hi everyone. Good to see all the old hands coming back on line ;)

TTR_EB4 - the MBX6 is a nice one for sure. A lot of the Mugen guys are running them down here now, but the car to beat it would seem is the XRay 808. Very, very nice. Super light, handles like a dream and looks sexy too.

Redcat vs others for racing ??? I must confess I haven't owned a Redcat (Bazooka) for a long while now. My only thought is that with all the new models coming out, the good old Redcat might be a little heavy to be competitive anymore. The diffs etc are really solid, which makes it a great bashing buggy, but once again heavy duty and solid = heavy weight.
IMO I would keep the Redcat for fun running and go with the Hyper 7 for serious racing.

Hey Louis - got some litres through the Stage 5 MM GO 5 Port now - this thing is nasty and getting better with each tank. Taking it racing for the first time tomorrow :D

Take care all - Later [8D]

zaintlouis 10-25-2008 06:51 AM

That's what i've been telling you about, lightened parts from kyosho can be put on the redcat, like my front axels on my redcat is already thin and lightweight. anyway too much lightness would give less traction. As for me, my buggy has to be not too light nor not too heavy. As seen on the video, i got traction on 1000 oil to the rear, where it is supposedly should run like a snake lol maybe a bit. there's an ideal weight for every car and for the type of tire used and that's what i'm trying to find out for my buggy.

firebird78 10-25-2008 12:56 PM

I never had any luck putting kyosho parts on a hurricane...I gought some axles for a 777 and they didnt fit...nor did the knuckles...I'm going to agree with Grizz on that its to heavy to race, but its an excellent bashing buggy...I still run mine just not as much...been running my other buggy to get a good feel for it

Grizz them 5 ports seem to be really popular...I've heard the 5 ports are better suited to the truggy as were the 7 port is better suited towards the buggy...guess it just depends on who ya talk to...them 5 ports are spose to make monsterous tourqe....I fired up my sh 8 port and idled a tank through it, then ran it around a lil on another tank just burping the throttle about 1/4 to a 1/2 throttle..was doing some tuning as I went.. I did give it full throttle for just a second to see if it would die or what not...thing has a lil pop to it with that dynamite pipe..lol....should be a snappy lil engine...

trpastor 10-26-2008 04:56 PM

Hey Guys

I'm not sure the technical terms.. but on the arms that connect the wheel hubs to the shock tower (basically a metal rod with threads at each end that go into the plastic connector at each end). .... how do you know who far in to put all of those?

I guess if you mess with the top and bottom, front and back of each of those, it changes the angle at which your tires sit on the x and y axis. So you can create tires that either point in or out or straight, and sit straight up and down or have some tilt either in at the bottom or top. How do you know how much to adjust these?

Thanks
Tim

TTR_EB4 10-26-2008 11:22 PM

trpastor, some people do it by eye (cz they have been doing it for years lol) but some ppl have these gadjets that you bolt onto the wheels < if thats wot ur tlkin bout

BTW Shane, u know this is michael right?? lol remember TTR_EB4 = Michael lolz, jus chekin if u remember we havnt tlked in a while

zaintlouis 10-27-2008 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you got to replace the upper and lower arms first before you can fit in a kyosho lightweight axles and knuckle arms. but the upper plate has to be customized. Some Kfactory products for kyosho mp777 can fit too if you know what they are lol.

grizz5 10-28-2008 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: firebird78

I never had any luck putting kyosho parts on a hurricane...I gought some axles for a 777 and they didnt fit...nor did the knuckles...I'm going to agree with Grizz on that its to heavy to race, but its an excellent bashing buggy...I still run mine just not as much...been running my other buggy to get a good feel for it

Grizz them 5 ports seem to be really popular...I've heard the 5 ports are better suited to the truggy as were the 7 port is better suited towards the buggy...guess it just depends on who ya talk to...them 5 ports are spose to make monsterous tourqe....I fired up my sh 8 port and idled a tank through it, then ran it around a lil on another tank just burping the throttle about 1/4 to a 1/2 throttle..was doing some tuning as I went.. I did give it full throttle for just a second to see if it would die or what not...thing has a lil pop to it with that dynamite pipe..lol....should be a snappy lil engine...

Hey - Everyones back on line :D

Firebird - your on the mark with the Go engines. Traditionally the 7 port is the motor for a buggy. It has endless top end and more than enough bottom to pull wheelies in the buggy. The 5 Port is a real stump puller down low with reasonable top end, but not a real screamer like the 7, and is ideal for truggy.
What I am running is a modded 5 Port (Massive Mods Australia Stage 5 Mod). This involves a full work out on the sleeve, crank and piston, changing timing etc. What you end up with is a motor that has even more low down power than the original 5 Port (with a little smoother application) and the top end of the 7 port with better economy to boot. This thing hauls butt [>:] You can run this in buggy no sweat, you just have to be careful with your diff oils (not too heavy in centre) and clutch set up so you don't end up doing doughnuts out of the corners :D Driven smoothly (I'm trying !!!) it is a wicked combo in the buggy. My home track is pretty tight with one good long straight so this motor is very well suited with it's low end / mid range power band.
If your looking for a good value motor the new Gen 5 Go's are pretty good. The Gen 5 has a new carb and new crank (more V-Spec like). Even in stock form they rock.

Louis - Hey brother, not much Redcat left in that Redcat :) No wonder it's so light !!! Looking good mate.

Michael - of course it's you Mr Stenic [8D]

trpastor - Those steering arms set your toe in / toe out. You want around 1.5 - 2 degrees toe out on the front for good steering response. Just use the old "Eyecrometer" to get them the same. Hold a ruler along the outside of the wheel and get the angle on both sides the same. You want the same measurement between the threaded turnbuckles at each end, on both sides of the car. Otherwise you will have uneven steering travel.

firebird78 10-28-2008 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: zaintlouis

you got to replace the upper and lower arms first before you can fit in a kyosho lightweight axles and knuckle arms. but the upper plate has to be customized. Some Kfactory products for kyosho mp777 can fit too if you know what they are lol.

so looks to me besides the knuckles and shafts...you have the upper and lower arms for a 777 on a hurricane?...I know them shock towers arent redcat...lolall that I see that resembles a hurricane is the rear armsand servo tray....everything else looks totally different..the front of the diff case looks sim as well as the servo saver,,,,but thats it...lol..nice looking buggy by the way

zaintlouis 11-01-2008 04:44 AM

Still have to replace the rear arms with plastic lower arms, & with my new tg throttle servo i can just use dual brake disc. i think replacing the brake disc with carbon disc would also help. well what brake disc are guys using? mine's still stock gonna need to replace it soon

firebird78 11-01-2008 10:03 AM

still running stock here also

grizz5 11-02-2008 03:17 PM

Still running stock disc on the CL-1, but with upgraded thicker brake pads on the shoes. No brake fade at all.

grizz5 11-06-2008 05:37 AM

Hey guys - Louis, Jas, Michael, Firebird. I know this is a Redcat site, and I haven't owned a Redcat (Bazooka) for ages, but I really enjoy chatting with you guys. Just to let you know I am changing to the XRay camp. I have my order in for a new XRay 808. The rest of the "team" are all changing too. The GS distributor here is dragging the chain, so we have all gone up-market. Two of the guys have already changed to the 808 and the performance difference is astounding. Trusty CL-1 Advanced (with a million spares - ha) will be a nice back up / bash buggy with modded Go 7 Port. When I have the new beast built up and running I might post some pics on here (if they will let me).
Sorry Redcat owners - the thread is back to you guys now. Cheers all :D [8D]

firebird78 11-06-2008 09:15 PM

I think we all have went a diff route Grizz...like you I enjoy talking to yall and hope to do so for some time in the future...yall have some good tips on everything to do with rc and I value yalls opinions...if I can only find a reliable pit man I will be asking yall for tips and pointers on racing next year...congrats on the new ride