RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/3775361-%22official%22redcat-racing-1-8th-buggy-thread-not-truck-thread.html)

RedcatRacing 01-16-2006 09:36 AM

RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

We are looking for writers of technical info sheets, beginner help for the Redcat Racing product line.

As many of you have read in other posts, Redcat Racing is fairly new in the RC Nitro biz but have had great success with Redcat Motors which is a large ATV importer in the US with over 600 dealers nationwide and sales of over 50,000 ATV's in the last 2 years.

I have always been an avid Nitro guy and began Redcat Racing about 6 months ago.

If anyone is interested in creating these types of information sheets, please email [email protected] with the subject line being: "Info Sheets"

We would be willing to pay for the info sheets or swap for Redcat Racing product.

So, if you have the ability to use a digital camera, technical and or basic writing skills, please shoot me an email if you are interested.

Darin

trpastor 01-16-2006 09:47 AM

zymurgy

I was doing the SAME thing but I think I mentioned somewhere else (maybe in the other thread) to be aware that the low speed adjustment is NOT the screw you would think it is. The big screw on the muffler side of the engine should be screwed in. THe adjustment screw is actually on the oppisite side on the flange! :) This should solve that issue

As far as basic settings - I woudl love to know this too if anyone happnes to know. I'm not sure if I may be too rich on both or possibly on one or the other right now.

Xeller8 01-16-2006 12:51 PM

Darin...I would love to write up some tech sheets for Redcat...we really need to get some better and more detailed info out there!....I'll e-mail you.

For anyone else....what are these Bazookas you guys are talking about??...I thought this was a REDCAT thread?...or is that a Himoto??

trpastor 01-16-2006 12:58 PM

Ok - well here's the story. Apparently there are several names for the same car depending on where you are at. I think mainly in AU they are called bazooka

In the UK (Correct me if I'm wrong Laughing Potato) the Kimax Rally XX

In the states Redcat racing

Ordered online (and perhaps the original manufacturer name?) Himoto

This is for the 1/8th buggy.

There are 2 versions - the .21 and the .27 engine.

Bazooka only has .21 as far as I know. Perhaps the Kimax only has .21 also?

Now Himoto also has some 1/10 scale buggies and cars which are available thru redcat also.

Confused :)

Xeller8 01-16-2006 01:59 PM

Yep!...clear as mud!...LOL!!

Actually I think I follow you.....thanks!

I ordered my replacement parts last night....got doubles on the front control arms...I have absolutely no clue how long it will take to get them....Redcat says nothing on their site about shipping dates or anything of the sort....

Darin...that would be a good thing to add to your on-line store..(expected shipping dates)...if and when you can nail it down better.

RedcatRacing 01-17-2006 02:20 AM

We ship within 24 hours of payment made. When item is shipped you will get an email with tracking information etc.. I am in China right now and also know they are moving warehouses this week but that should not hold up the order but could hold up shipping by a day.

When I get back I will get with our programmer to give more info on the order confirmation page and website as to how long it takes to ship.

Darin

RedcatRacing 01-17-2006 02:27 AM

Just shoot me an email if interested in writing some docs for us.

[email protected]

Darin

trpastor 01-18-2006 06:44 PM

Hey all-

Just wanted to report that today I really ran the hell out of my 1/8th. I flipped it numerous times ran it into the garage, etc and so on. One time it flipped end over end about 4 times, landed up right and kept right on going. Most of the time it flipped back up actually.

The temp was about 290 at it's hottest (maybe 280 I think my temp gun reads a little hot). Do you guys think this is a little to hot to keep the life of the engine up?

Also - I cannot get this thing to jump well without taking a nose dive. I tried messing with the shock adj abit but do I need to maybe put different oils in them or seomthing?

If there's anyone out there thinking about getting a brand new 1/8 buggy and want to pay less than the $400-700 for a good buggy I would highly recommend this one.

Chubbysdad 01-18-2006 07:50 PM

I was always told 245-265 to be safe. Thats what I do and have had good luck.

trpastor 01-20-2006 10:00 PM

As easily as people are saying they are breaking, I certainly DO NOT think it wil make them more brittle. I'm betting it makes a night and day differece. I'm betting that this plastic is made very strong but inflexible from what I've seen from other makers. I'm betting boiling them will soften it up a bit and allow some bend so it is not snapping once it goes past the point of no return but rather gives s bit.

BTW... I RAN THE HELL out of my 1/8th buggy today. It is running GREAT. I don't own a truck and I can't belive how much trouble most are having with them when I experience the quality that the buggy is.

I jumped it about 20 times off my rounded curb. I was able to usually jump it from the curb to... over the patch of grass, over the sidewalk.. and into the main grass. (so about 8ft). This was on a small curb. The jumping was great.

I adjusted the shocks so that the rear shocks were at ZERO tension with the adjustment ring. I put the front rings down about 1/2" (to tighten them up a bit) and it was jumping very level. When I first was jumpin it it was very nose heavy and softening the back and tightening the front seemed to really cure it.

It also seemed to keep if more flat on the ground on tight turns on rough ground.

Doing the jumps I flipped it SEVERAL times. Probably 12 or more times. All but about 2 times it landed back on it's tires. And these weren't light rolls. One time I cartwheeled it about 6-7 turns over the course of 15+ feet. Another time it flipped end over end over and over. NOTHING BROKE. It is still running like a champ.

I have heard very little negative feedback about the buggies. I don't think ANY on the 1/8th. If you guys want to give a try on another cheap vechile try the 1/8 buggy. You can do a submit offer on ebay for about $230 for the .21 (at least a few weeks ago).

I compared it to the Kyosho mp 7.5 in the LHS and it was just about exactly the same except for the front arms. The plastic looked very similar, the layout was almost identical, the aluminum was the same thickness (ofna uses thicker shocktowers but the Kyosho was the same).

Anyway --- I give this 1/8th buggy a 9 out of 10. There's nothing I can think of off hand that I don't like about them but I hesitate to give a 10 out of 10 rating.

Anyway - I'll keep you posted but so far this thing is great.

I still want to go in and see what parts will fit on it from the 7.5 but the LHS is reluctant to do it. I don't think the front arms will fit but most of the other stuff might.

Later... PS I'll post this in the 1/8th buggy forum too found here....

Buggygovroom 01-21-2006 01:40 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum but signed up to post when i saw the redcat thread. I've had the redcat hurricane XL for about a week and I'm having a bit of trouble with it and wondered if anyone else has encountered the problems i have. Here goes. I went through the break in process heat cycling the engine, keeping the piston at bdc after each run when cooling. After finishing break in i began running in a somewhat enclosed area always keeping the motor slightly more rich. Last night i went out for a while to run and first tank of gas was fine, car ran beautiful. second tank the engine stalled somewhere between mid and high rpm during full throttle. No hesitation at all it just cut off. restarted it and tried again, same thing happened. I'm getting a good amount of blue smoke and no blubbery sounds nor excessive heat from the engine. I took it to a shop today and the guy said its acting as if theres a clog in the carb or fuel lines but the carb is clean and so are the fuel filters. It seems to idle fine but cuts off at random times, usually after i let the engine warm up. I'm out of ideas as to how i should go about troubleshooting it since it seems making needle adjustments showed a change in performance but the stalling continued no matter what adjustments i made. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing i noticed was the needle on the muffler side of the carb was screwed in about 1 turn from flush, I backed it out making it flush which im pretty sure where it was out of the box. I'm not entirely sure what this screws function is cause it isn't labeled in the book that came with the car.

trpastor 01-21-2006 10:00 AM

Hey Buggygovroom

I know exactly what is going on (hopefully there's nothing else). That screw on the muffler side should actually be FULLY tightened in (no hard necessairly but full in). I put another post about it earlier, but it's a little decieving if you've seen other nitro engines. Most nitro engines have a screw there (as this one does too) BUT there is no screw on the throttle side (where the rubber flange is). On this one there is also a screw on the rubber flange side, but you only want to adjust the one on the rubber flange. The one on the muffler side should be in (to reitterate)

I'm not sure how many turns out the screw on the flange side should be but I"ll check into it later if you need help on that.

What's going on is the low speed adjustment is way to rich but it doesn't necissairly give you audible ques like the HSN does.

Reset your settings (idle is probably fine). Main needle (HiSpeedNeedle) Turn in all the way (not overly hard) and then back out to about 3 turns.

The LSN turn in all the way and try about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.

If you need to know for sure what mine is at let mek now and I will check it for you.

Let us know if this was it. ALso - how is the buggy preforming for you overall

kx250ryder 01-21-2006 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey Buggygovroom

I know exactly what is going on (hopefully there's nothing else). That screw on the muffler side should actually be FULLY tightened in (no hard necessairly but full in). I put another post about it earlier, but it's a little decieving if you've seen other nitro engines. Most nitro engines have a screw there (as this one does too) BUT there is no screw on the throttle side (where the rubber flange is). On this one there is also a screw on the rubber flange side, but you only want to adjust the one on the rubber flange. The one on the muffler side should be in (to reitterate)

I'm not sure how many turns out the screw on the flange side should be but I"ll check into it later if you need help on that.

What's going on is the low speed adjustment is way to rich but it doesn't necissairly give you audible ques like the HSN does.

Reset your settings (idle is probably fine). Main needle (HiSpeedNeedle) Turn in all the way (not overly hard) and then back out to about 3 turns.

If you need to know for sure what mine is at let mek now and I will check it for you.

There are no general rules for how many turns to adjust the carburetor needles to. It can change several times in the course of a day. There are many factors that influence tuning like temperature, weather (sunny or overcast), atmospheric pressure, elevation, humidity, fuel type, plug type, how clean the air filter is and probably a million others.

The best thing you can do if you are new to tuning is pick up an infared temperature gauge (can be had for as little as $20.00) and use it to help get your engine properly tuned. Here is a link (once you have the gauge) on how to tune your engine:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3455189

EDIT: That link has a rather abbreviated version of the process. If you are not sure what adjusting the screws does here is an easy way to look at it:

Clockwise = leaner = more air, less fuel = hotter
Counter Clockwise = richer = less air, more fuel = cooler

Your high speed needle is the one that makes the biggest changes to engine temperature. Adjusting this clockwise will cause the temperature to go up, and adjusting it counter clockwise will cause the temperature to go down.

For the step that talks of pinching the fuel line, you want to adjust the low speed needle clockwise to make the engine die sooner, and counter clockwise to make the engine die later.

EDIT AGAIN: For the idle adjustment, adjusting the screw clockwise will increase the idle, and counter clockwise will decrease the idle. You will probably notice that when making changes to the low speed needle, it will often change the idle, and require you to adjust the idle screw as well.

Buggygovroom 01-21-2006 05:49 PM

On a side note, my overall experience with the buggy it is excellent and especially for the price. The past few days ive been running it with a friend who has a Kyosho with a rossi gold motor in it and it gave him a serious run for his money. I noticed that they were almost identical except i paid half the price and got a radio! :) untill his ran away on him and hit a car tire at about 50 mph. Now my car is truly better :) Im thinking i should have spent the extra 30 bucks or so and got the hurricane XP instead of the XL for the larger motor and misc upgrades but i have had no negative experiences with this buggy whatsoever. I believe out of the box, with exception to maybe a better radio system, this buggy is a better choice than some more expensive models. The only down side is part availability but ive been told a lot of the parts are similar and interchangeable with some non/import models such as kyosho and some ofna 1/8 buggy parts. I couldnt be happier with my selection overall!

Xeller8 01-21-2006 05:52 PM

We have been talking about boiling plastic front suspension parts in the truck thread (where this post originated from) so I felt I should explain the beginning of my post HERE so no one is confused....

Well...the parts DIDN'T float so I was a little concerned about maybe melting some on the bottom of the pan but the boiling action seemed to keep them moving around enough but I still stirred them ocassionally...

I only boiled the stuff for about a 1/2 hour just to be a little safe and conservative and it seems to have made some difference in the flexibility...also...one thing I noticed..and this sounds weird but the boiled parts even make a little different sound when you tap them on a hard surface....the unboiled ones made a little higher pitch and "sharper" sound...weird?..maybe..but if boiling changed the molecular structure of the plastic and made it more flexible and possibly increased the density a bit then it's really NOT so weird....sheesh...I feel like I should be on "Mythbusters"..LOL!

O.K...so...the good news is that mother nature decided to cooperate today and we have some really nice weather right now (sunny and temps in the 50's) so yes...I have finished my break in (about 5 tanks at low and mid speeds with a few blips on the throttle for good measure) and I have started to try and fine tune this thing and run it harder....man does this thing SCREAM!

I am having a little bit of a hard time tuning it right but I'm sure it's probably due to impatience more than anything....the main thing I am having trouble with is getting rid of the initial bogging when I hit the throttle from dead stop to WFO...if I ease into it...no probs....also I have been having a bit of difficulty with top end...there are times it seems to just lay down when it gets close to top speed...also there are times it wants to die when I hit the throttle or it will just die suddenly at idle...these are minor irritants and I'm sure with enough patience (and HELP from people who know more than I do) I will get it tuned right...

I have been running it pretty hard this afternoon and have had no breakages yet...and hey!..I even ran into my foot once and it didn't even break! ;)...lol....actually I had some pretty hard flips a few times...several cartwheels of varying degrees of intensity both on pavement and off...I spose the only TRUE test to see if the boiling works would be to re-enact the wreck that I had the first time it broke..(hitting the end of that curb)...I thought about this but couldn't bring myself to just DO it!...however...at one point I pretty much DID...same spot...same ending of being on it's top in the street...etc and it seems to be holding up fine...although I don't think I was going QUITE as fast as I was the first time...CLOSE though!

Anyways...I am going back out to run some more before it starts getting colder out...

*Arnold Schwarzenneger voice*...."I'll be back".:D

Buggygovroom 01-21-2006 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey Buggygovroom

Im gonna go check it out now, I screwed that muffler side screw all the way in just now and i have my needle settings rich and im going to slowly lean them out instead of going from 1-2 turns on each. also earlier i had the car running but it wants to die when I apply brakes.

It never did that before, and the idle adjustment screw is hard to get to and not to mention tight like its thread locked from the factory but im sure eventually im going to have to mess with this, its just a matter of time :)

Buggygovroom 01-21-2006 06:31 PM

Yep, Turning in that screw on the muffler side did it, no stalling. Odd though it was flush for a while with no problems but its in all the way and my needles are quite rich for now. I'll have to fine tune again since i threw my needles out of wack during this whole ordeal but "i have seen the top of the mountain!" and now have steady idle :) and acceleration deceleration.

Xeller8 01-21-2006 06:58 PM

I'm still having probs getting a consistant idle but over all it's running pretty good.

trpastor 01-21-2006 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys... It's been moving in here. That's great.

Anyway - great to hear about the boiling. Sounds like and hour might have done even more to flexibility then? Would that be your rec. since one said 45 min and one said 2 hours?

Glad to hear tightening the screw fixed it Buggygovrom. The reason it didn't effect it is that if that screw is loose at all it will work more and more out. So it just kept getting more out of wack when you were driving. You probably "adjusted it" a hair at first and didn't realize at one time it was in all the way. that's what I had done.

Xeller.. your low speed needle is too rich still. that is why it's dying when you hit the throttle. If it "sounds' ok but is still wanting to die when you hit throttle I would bet greatly it's the LSN.

small turns on that one though. It cna change it fast.

The idle should be open only about this much (see image). Also - it should stay open the same amount if you hit break or are in idle. Again, when you hit break it should stay open the same amount as in idle. If it closes adjust your radio trim adj.

Good luck

Xeller8 01-21-2006 08:39 PM

Yeah..the opening is pretty much between a 1/16 and an 1/8 so I think that part is O.K...

I haven't played around too much with the LSN as of yet...the changes I DID make to it were probably a bit extreme...I need to screw it all the way back in and start over with more minor adjustments...but to start with the screw was WAY out...so yeah...probably a bit "fat" for normal running now that the engine is broken in...and I also remember reading something that someone posted stating that you will usually need to re-adjust the idle speed when making changes to the LSN...the thing that sucks is the idle speed screw is a B!TCH to get at!...not very condusive to timely adjustments..

So...heres a new question....can anybody tell me what the inside of the motor should look like if it is running properly??...meaning....when you take the glow plug out and shine a flashlight in the hole and look at the top of the piston...mine is a nice golden brown...is that a pretty good indication that the fuel/air ratio is about right?? (pretty much the color that a spark plug end would be on a normal engine when it is tuned properly)...someone please let me kow on this...I am scared of getting it too lean to get it to run the way I want it to....

Otherwise...had quite a bit of fun today!...had some nasty wrecks (cartwheels and such) and the only thing I broke was the little sway bar mount on one of the lower rear control arms...but other than that the buggy is holding up very well!

Buggygovroom 01-21-2006 09:44 PM

Also, does anyone know what type of rims/tires to look for to fit this model? Im getting low on tread and one of the rims is beginning to crack slightly. Id like to replace them at some point but it is still drivable for now. What size/bolt however its measured should I look for on packaging when i go into the store? Thanks in advance!

Xeller8 01-21-2006 09:54 PM

Redcat sells aluminum wheels for the 1/8....check their website.

Hey..I just read a very interesting write up about break in that you guys might want to check out ...it goes against the normal grain but this guy is a pro...so maybe he knows what he is talking about??

http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php

Xeller8 01-21-2006 11:17 PM

So...I'm playing around in the shop here working on tuning this thing better and I think I figured out why I can't seem to get a consistant idle....the head gasket is LEAKING!!....noticed it spewing fuel out between the head and the block..

Can anybody tell me if this is a common problem with nitro motors?

trpastor 01-22-2006 01:03 AM

Hey Xeller - That should be fine. It's going to get darker and darker with use I'm sure though. It's just a fact of running these things that after a couple gallons you will probably need to rebuild... which leads me to a question I've been wanting to ask. Where do you get parts for engines? If you want to rebuild them? I know how to do it but I don't see any engine parts on tower hobby. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. But how interchangle will these parts be?

Buggy go vrom - The Ofna Whells tires and nuts fit right onto this thing. They are about a perfect match. So anything else that fits the ofna should fit as well. (In case you wanted to pick some up locally). The metal rims look sharp though

Xeller - are you talking about where the engine meets the heatsink? I haven't seen that before but I'm sure it's not the first time. You may want to try just tightening it back down and make SURE you use a star pattern (this may be your problem if you took it off and put it on either not tight enough OR did it in a circular pattern. I've heard it's pretty important to put the heatsink on even.

testy 01-22-2006 01:45 AM

Sorry, posted this on Unofficial.
OK...am going nuts...trying desperately to find someone who has purchased a Himoto TORPEDA PRO and how they rate it. I am new to RC, don't have a clue what really to look into. I just wan't to know if it is going to do the job for a guy who is going to use it casually, or am I going to spend the majority of my time trying to find and fix cheap generic parts. The bulk of reviews I have read are from guys who have seen pics on the net, are purist name brand guys and therefore feel it necessary to bag the crap out of the car. I wan't to hear only from someone that has one and has used one, preferably for more than a week. Also can I use the KYOSHO MP7.5 for replacement parts. Reply really appreciated. Thanks in advance.