RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   A question for the PRO'S (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4051420-question-pros.html)

redman1 03-18-2006 08:51 PM

A question for the PRO'S

Hi guys,I got a question about my BRAND NEW
volcano nitro truck.I have ran this truck for about
1 hour total.I wrecked it and had to order some parts.
The parts came in today,so I put it together.I am out-
side,got it fired hit the gas,the truck takes off but does
not sound right,so I hit the gas again.I finally realize that
I have stripped all the teeth on the main gear which is
attached to the engine drive gear.Is this NORMAL or did
I buy piece of crap.1 hour is not long enough to ruin
the main diff gear,or is it?Would some of you PRO'S
please tell me if this happens to the other major brand
names or is this a redcat problem.I also talked to
violet at the sales department of redcat racing.She told
me in three weeks redcat would have steel diff gears.
Is there anyone who really knows if this is true.If
someone knows or can answer any of my qustions
I would greatly appreciate it.Thank You.[sm=RAINFRO.gif]

jeeperscreapers 03-18-2006 09:00 PM

RE: A question for the PRO'S

your motor mounts might not be lined up good with your gears.... might be to snug or loose.... i havent had ne problems and i've ran mine VERY hard..... i noticed after i tore my motor down that when i put it back on that i had the gears meshed to close together .... it was pretty obvious... so i'd say first check that make shure you have proper spacing between your differential gears and the gears off your motor.

redman1 03-18-2006 09:18 PM

Hey jeepers,are there shims or anything that
your supposed to use,or do you just tighten or
loosen the motor mount bolts until you get
the right clearence between the gears.Thanks
for the reply.REDMAN1.[sm=cool.gif]

jeeperscreapers 03-18-2006 09:24 PM

honestly i'm a newbie lol...... but i could just tell.... i could tell when it was to loose and when it was to tight so i just got it right between [:-] if you get them to tight you can hear them binding when you roll it on a table or something

redman1 03-18-2006 09:31 PM

Well when i get my new parts I will definetly
check that out.So you say you have ran the truck
really hard without transmission problems,well
thats a good sign.Thanks again for the reply,and P.S.
how do like the truck?

jeeperscreapers 03-18-2006 09:36 PM

i have the 1/10 buggy.... but i am pretty shure its identical aside from the wheels and single speed..... which i put big tires on my buggy..... i took apart the front and rear gear box's and they are all metal , so the only plastic gears i've found are the 2 for the tranny. which theyre supposed to have metal replacements b4 long. I LOVE my buggy .... so many compliments around town. Only time i usually break stuff is if i run into steel poles and stuff lol..... as far as jumps , I hit 6ft. jumps all the time and it holds up great..... so no complaints! I'm just nervous as to how well my rear hubs are gonna hold up now that i got the big tires on it instead of little ones...... i have the aluminum ones on the front !!!

redman1 03-18-2006 10:25 PM

Hey Xeller8 do you have any advice on my
problem.I respect your point of view on a
lot of rc stuff.Hit me back when you get a
chance.Thanks again.

ehroof 03-18-2006 10:57 PM

I have had my volcano for over a month and no problems, i think people are having the problems with the gears because the engine is shifting as people are using them. You should check all the screws on the trucks every few runs. There are no shims, if you look at the bottom of the truck you'll see you can move the engine by loosening the screws and moving the engine and tightning it back up. You usually can hear when the gears are not meshing correct, a whining sound kinda high pitched. Usually a piece of paper looseleaf is good to use to adjust the spacing between the gears.

ehroof 03-18-2006 11:03 PM

as for the tornado xp, i hate to say it but it has alot to be desired to be even close to a world class rc vehicle. I ran it today, not to hard and noticed that it looked funny, ran pretty good (had to change clutch spring after 4 tanks including break in(used traxxas spring, still trying to adjust so it shifts to second gear.) The front and rear aluminum shock towers were bent, no jumps or rolls, just some driving on a sand dune, a little rough surface but not terrible. I mean really bent, i was able to straighten them out but seriously, aluminum shock tower bending by just driving with no jumping?????

redman1 03-18-2006 11:03 PM

Hey ehroof,how do you check the clearences with
a piece of paper.Thank you for your reply's.P.S
you have had no tranny problems.

ehroof 03-18-2006 11:12 PM

no problems at all but i check everything out usually every few runs, also check for rocks and pebbles in the gears every run or so. turn the gears with your finger and see if there is any serious binding(make sure truck is not running). Put the gears together and run a piece of paper between them while leaving the motor screw on the bottom a little loose. tighten the screws and this should be good, also check that the motor looks straight and square after you tighten it and listen when you first run the truck, you should hear very little meshing of the gears.

jeeperscreapers 03-19-2006 10:46 AM

hey ehroof i broke down my transmission last night.... one screw holds the clutch onto the gear rods and one tightens or loosens the spring that adjusts the shift time...... hard to explain which is which lol.... the screw that goes deep into the clutch tightens the clutch to the rod..... the shallower hole that you can c half of the screw wall is the adjustment.... or easily you can just back the screw all the way out and if its th e right one you will feel the spring push the screw out and you will know you have the right one!

ehroof 03-19-2006 01:48 PM

thanks jeepers, you can actually feel the difference when you loosen the screws, one stays tight and one gets very loose, the one that stays semi tight it the shifting screw.

jeeperscreapers 03-19-2006 01:54 PM

yep!

Xeller8 03-19-2006 05:31 PM

Redman...Sorry I haven't been on much this weekend but I see ehroof answered your question...

The only thing I would add would be to hold the main drive gear still and check the play of the clutch gear....there should be just a tad bit of play there.

btw....thanks for the compliment....I appreciate it.;)

redman1 03-19-2006 11:34 PM

Hey guys whats up.I wanted to say I did some
investagating and found out that you guys are
right again.My engine needed to be shifted about
1/16 to the left.Now Im waiting on parts,but when
I get them I will be ready to ride!It is nice to be
able to go to a web site and truly get helpful info
to help newbies like myself.Xeller8 you don't know
it,but you practically tuned my volcano 1/10 truck
for me.After reading the redcat racing instructions
booklet my truck wouldn't even run,and I was mad!
Then I found this website listed to Xeller8 and jeppers
and others good guy's comments,and got my truck
running fantastic.I guess I just wanted to say thanks
again,because without listening to you guys,the truck
would probably be in the garbage right now!