RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Hurricane XP RCU Review (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4054028-hurricane-xp-rcu-review.html)

RedcatRacing 03-19-2006 02:19 PM

Hurricane XP RCU Review

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=683

Darin

ehroof 03-19-2006 07:24 PM

RE: Hurricane XP RCU Review

Do a review on the tornado's and the Volcano's, they are the ones that seem to have the most problems and complaints according to this forum. The huricane xp is redcats most expensive vehicle, their flagship so to say, it should rate fairly well.

Kemo 03-19-2006 07:35 PM

well, 1/8 racing is most common today. You dont see much of the 1/10th goin on anymore. Its why you will see AE and LOSI come up with 1/8 buggies.

ehroof 03-19-2006 07:48 PM

yeah kemo but i do see that rc univers does many reviews on 1/10 scale vehicles so they should to one on the volcano or tornado. I am pretty sure redcat isnt selling thier product to racers, mostly to beginners in the hobby or someone like me who just wants another horse in the koral. I would have to say 90% of the posts in this forum are about their 1/10 offroad products and since that is their primary market there should be a review about that.

Kemo 03-19-2006 07:52 PM

Thats basically because its the most affordable. It doesnt take much to turn a hurricane into a racer, its basically a MP 7.5 clone.

For an extra 200 bucks, i'd have it race ready with an engine from my sponsor. It'd do good enough for me in the points series i'm running.

Xeller8 03-20-2006 01:30 PM

Yep...love MY 'Cane XP!

Hey...."Rusty Shackelford"....love the avatar. ;)

Kemo 03-20-2006 05:04 PM

Thanks. I've been debating to buy one or not. I mean, it'd be easy as heck to upgrade and get it race ready... but I have been wondering if it would be worth doing?

Xeller8 03-20-2006 05:52 PM

From personal experience I would say YES...they are definitely worth it!

I'd LOVE to see someone get one of these racey and compete just to see how it did and how the expense would compare to something like the 7.5. or similar machines that cost twice as much just to begin with.

Kemo 03-22-2006 11:07 PM

it'd be a challenge... but I might need to lighten the buggy first. I dono what the running weight of it is, but I'll keep it in mind. Might be getting a CEN truggy when it comes out instead.

IF i indeed go with the redcat as a racing project, this is the engine i'd bolt onto it: http://racernine.com/sts21team.html along with a JP1 or JP2 tuned pipe. I'd hope to god it'd survive the R/C Xgames we have here. LOTS of track time in one weekend. I think there is a 3 hr a main.

AJsToyz 04-02-2006 09:38 AM

Considering my slight trouble, I don't think I'm ready to do a review yet. I'll see how Redcat handles things in the next few days. I'm only giving them till Wednesday though , I figure if they cannot at least reply to my problem in a weeks time , they don't deserve that good of a review. Several PM's sent and multiple email's and try to call ... so its not like I'm not giving them a chance.

AJsToyz 04-02-2006 03:41 PM

Things are looking up !! I had the wrong email !! <oops> and Darin got a chance to check his PM's .... I'm going to get to drive my car !!! :eek:

jotto 04-04-2006 03:18 PM

anyone ot there to help me with my TWO tornado xp's which i have had for two days and the gears in both of them have already stripped, IS THIS NORMAL??

jotto 04-04-2006 03:20 PM

hey ehroof you seem to know a lot about these tornados, do they strip gears frequently and if so how do i rectify the prob

ehroof 04-04-2006 04:46 PM

it seems as though they do strip the gears alot, i thought i was able to not have the problem by checking my gear mesh, engine alignment but for some reason it stripped anyway. I just put in a new set and so far so good, i can only suggest to keep your eyes on the mesh of the gears and make sure the engine is square and the engine bolts and screws that hold it in place are tight. thats all i know of as of so far. My gears were stripped after about 5 tanks including the break in.

paxtonsharp 04-11-2006 05:55 AM

hay,i might have help on your gear prob. ive had my xp for 3 weeks an had same prob. i made a thin plate to cover the hole showing the spur gears on the bottom of the buggy. thes buggys set really low and it doesent take much grit to eat up your spur gears. so far mine still look brand new, ive even put bigger and much wider pin nobbies on it and it does great! stock tires are way to small. the rims are two sets of rears from my traxxs stampeed, you have to trim out the fines on the inside to clear the a-frames when you turn,ill try to post picts latter. updates will be coming! im a machinest so ill make most of my own parts , i will custom build you parts you cant get for a small fee. hope this helps.

dabo12367 05-24-2006 10:59 PM

Hello, I recently purchased (don't have it yet) a Hurricane XP. I also bought a roto start and upgraded exhaust for the engine. I have never owned a Redcat but I do own a Traxxas Nitro Rustler along with various on-road electric racers. My question is this: what are the strengths and weaknesses of this vehicle? What should I beware of and what stock parts are vulnerable to easy breakage. What should I upgrade and, finally, is this a decent rc car? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David.

Popper252 05-24-2006 11:06 PM

Hey buddy welcome to the forums, I don't personally have a hurricane but from what I've heard about them they're very well made. There are some people who are probably better able to answer you questions about the buggy in this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3775361/tm.htm]THREAD[/link].

Chubbysdad 05-25-2006 04:55 AM

Welcome. The hurricane is a decent buggy. Like any other nitro vehicle, check the screws. Mine loosened up on the motor real fast(just after break in) and my stupidity for not checking. I should know better. So I stripped out a bell housing that has been it. Nothing else has gone wrong. I also bought a starter box.

icecube0045 05-30-2006 08:05 PM

Where did you buy the starter box from?

Chubbysdad 05-30-2006 08:49 PM

I have the ofna pro start. part number 10245 that I use for the hurricane. I sell the himoto brand but am out of them now. Sorry.

Kemo 08-09-2006 09:52 PM

when are we going to see these in magazines? How is the company going to expand or flourish with out advertising or sending cars out to be reviewed?

R/C Driver really seemed to like the Himoto cars, i'd take that as a big hint to start sending RCR's out to other mags!