RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Got no go!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4069057-got-no-go.html)

nitrosteve22 03-22-2006 05:18 PM

Got no go!!!!

Well I got the little engine fired up and it sounds pretty good. Not alot of exhaust coming out but its spittin tiny drops of fuel so I'll take care of that after I finish this... Anyways,I got no go! The spur gears in the 2 speed spin but dont turn the tires forward,however if you spin them backwards they will turn the tires backwards but since reverse isnt really an option... How do I fix this? Now I did take the two speed assembly out but that was ONLY to loosen the universal joint cause it was on super tight and causing the gears not to spin either way and I know I put it back in correctly with the brake pad facing the engine side. Plus the spur gears will spin independently... Never had a 2 speed before so I am completely lost...

On a good note that little motor fires up on the first or second pull (till I fouled the plug but I got spares!) and I havent had ANY glitching with the radio.

Thanks,steven.

nitrosteve22 03-22-2006 06:18 PM

RE: Got no go!!!!

Turns out my cheap-o glow plug ignitor battery died,changed it and fired right up but... I tried the settings Xeller8 had in his tuning thread but it spits ALOT of fuel and takes a while to warm up so I leaned it out some but I'm still getting little spit drops of fuel and very little smoke. That and the idle is very,erratic but I kept it going long enough to get around 130F and put the piston at BDC... I cant drive it around cause I got no go (hence,the thread)...

I'm such a moron... I shoulda tried the factory settings but I figured if the factory settings are anything like the manual then I'd better try Xeller8's settings first. I think unscrewing the HSN till its flush with the top might be a bit much. The manual settings say "The HSN valve settings for normal engine running lies between 1 and 1/2 turns unscrew from closed position. Screwing it further in,excessive heat may be generated." That sounds super lean considering it took me a good three full turns out to flush it up with the HSN sleeve. But when it cools down I'll try screwing it in and back it out 2 full turns just to be safe and pray I dont cook my new toy.

How about the LSN? I screwed it in and backed out 2 1/2 turns cause the manual mentions nothing (that I can find) about the low speed needle,just the idle and HSN.

Uh.... Any opinions on this situation would be fantastic! I tell ya,I get kinda nervous when pulling that little rope but as soon as that little mill fires up it puts a smile on my face! Cept its a tad on the loud side and has a disgruntled weed eater sound lol. That and the pullstarter has held up just fine,I've gotten rough with it a few times and all is still well.

Cant wait to tear up the neighborhood with this thing!

Thanks.

annie_himself 03-22-2006 07:09 PM

Your trying to break it in right? Well a lot of nitro coming out of the pipe is a good thing, means the piston is lubbed up real good.

nitrosteve22 03-22-2006 07:58 PM

That Guns N' Roses song,Patiences comes to mind right about now.... Well I tried the a much richer setting than the manual (still leaner than Xeller8's settings) and for the 10 seconds I had it fired up that motor went from about 50F to 150F quickly so it's still a ways off although the motor did start alot easier but and the idle seemed better but still spits fuel out with no smoke but I think I'm getting closer. After it cools down (set the piston at BDC of course) I'll try Xeller8's settings again and go from their. I pinched the fuel line to shut it off and it took about 4 seconds in which case the idle went up somewhat. Looks like I got a lot more reading to do but in the mean time all opinions on why I have no forward would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Xeller8 03-22-2006 08:02 PM

Steve....what I've posted in the past is basically just a start up and then tune to get it running smoother from there....it has worked well for myself and many others but like I've said...every engine is different and seeings how that engine is smaller than the one in my Hurricane it may very well be a bit too rich for yours...they all run a bit different and SOME fuel spitting out of the exhaust is O.K. but you don't want a huge amount coming out...but 1-1 1/2 turns out (im assuming thats what you meant) sounds awefully lean to me...

You said it only took 3 turns out to flush it up??...I was gonna tell you 3-3 1/2 turns out....LOL....try it with only 2-2 1/2 turns out then.

nitrosteve22 03-22-2006 10:20 PM

Thanks Xeller,I reset the carb needles and changed the glow plug (duratrax carbon speed) and the ignitor battery (man this thing eats em quick!) and it fired up on the first pull and idled smoothly through a whole tank with some throttle blipping.

The gears still spin while the tires sit still so all I can do is idle through tanks and play with the throttle some,the car wont move period. Gotta be a fix for this,C'mon somebody has to have an idea here please! Could the shaft inside the 2 speed transmission be on backwards? I tried tighting the two screws on the silver thing and one is tight as tight gets and the other is for adjusting the shift point. If you spin the gears backwards it'll grab and turn the tires backwards but if you try the other way the gears will just spin and wont even spin anything in the drivetrain!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Xeller8 03-22-2006 10:25 PM

Glad to hear it running good!

They must use a different carb on the 1/10 buggies or something than they do the trucks....cuz I checked my truck and it takes like 5 1/2 turns to flush it up....thats weird considering it's the same motor!

Sorry to hear the prob you are having with the gears and I don't have any advice for you on that since I don't have one of the 1/10 buggies.[:o]

nitrosteve22 03-22-2006 10:48 PM

Ah I'll figure it out eventually,but thanks for everything Xeller8! I love this little buggy and I cant wait to get the transmission issue solved so I can hit the road. I finally got the hang of the tuning thing,I'm getting more smoke and less spitting fuel but it still needs to be leaned out and fine tuned but the main thing is were making progress in the right direction.

I guess I can pull the transmission and disassemble it to compare part for part by the instruction manual... It just doesnt make any sense why the gears will turn the drivetrain like it should but only in reverse. When the engine was running the clutch bell would spin like crazy but could easily be stopped with a touch from the finger. It would spin those spur gears just as fast but they spin freely so the buggy just sat their (thats a sure fire way it wont run away from me though lol... Dont have much use for my fail safe now LOL!).

Hopefully someone around here will chime in with an idea as to why I have no go,checked and double checked everything and I cant figure it out.

Thanks!

chopper22980 03-22-2006 11:17 PM

Go to page 3 on here and look at my post that says,picture of diff gear box.I had the same problem and the main gear had melted.Click on the picture and you can see what im talking about.

Mine would move while I held it in the air.

When it was on the ground no movement at all
All the gears would move but wouldnt move my truck.
Hope this may help you.

nitrosteve22 03-23-2006 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL!!! Apparenty when I took the transmission out I must have taken it apart (I honestly dont recall doing this but then again I couldnt tell ya what I had for breakfast yesterday) and taken the big gear containing the one way bearing out and put it in backwards upon assembly by accident.... I feel like such a........ Anyways,now all my buggies boggles are rectified! The way the clutch bell was spinning so fast had me worried the clutch spring broke so I popped the bell off and all was well but since I have the idle set so you can hit the brakes without the motor stalling,just as a saftey procation I'll turn the throttle trim down so the brakes are on while I start the car. Very nervous about a run away,had that happen a couple times with my NitroHawk cause back then I didnt even think of a failsafe but still... Nothing worse than watching your RC take off outta control till it smacks something!

Popper252 03-23-2006 09:42 AM

Hey since we're talking about them, do you know what failsafe I could put on this car and how much one may cost? Are they an easy install? Thanks.

nitrosteve22 03-23-2006 10:39 AM

I would recommend the Venom Smart temp fail safe (not just the Venom fail safe) because the regular fail safe is like $25,but the smart temp fail safe is $39 (tower hobbies) and not only monitors radio signal,but engine temps (can be set to limit the throttle incase of engine overheating),reciever battery voltage (and will shut the throttle down incase the batteries go under your set limit). They are extremely easy to program,I was expecting a time taking process but it took me all of 2-3 minutes,and works like a charm although the radio hasnt glitched out but if you (with engine off mind you lol) give it full throttle and turn off your transmitter,it will activate %100 brakes (thats how I set mine anyways). They are well worth the money IMO,I'll never run without one again! Also I would go with the comany Venom just because they come highly rated and have been around for a while. Sure their are cheaper failsafe products on the market but I wouldnt take a chance (not saying its a bad product but $40 is a small price to pay considering what venom gives you).

unclezesta 03-23-2006 05:52 PM

haha, nice job with the bearing! although i must comend you for your patience. most of the people that i see on hear that have problems early on just start bashing the company.

nitrosteve22 03-23-2006 07:04 PM

Yeah,and the funny thing is alot of them are probably from a driver error. Now that I fixed the problem I made,this little buggy was the best $176 I think I've ever spent,cept the radio will have to go soon lol! Other than that I am very impressed by this little Tornado,and cant wait to add the Hurricane to the mix as well.