RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Tornado XP problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4099355-tornado-xp-problems.html)

yj4x4 03-29-2006 04:39 PM

Tornado XP problems

First off, I've got to say I've been flying r/c planes for years, and r/c helicopters for a few months, so I'm not a newbie to glow engines.
I've got to say I've NEVER had as much trouble breaking in and tuning an engine as I have with this one! It will just NOT run for longer than a few seconds, or else it runs at such a high rpm it would be down the road and crashed before I had a chance to pick up the transmitter. Pull starter has allready broken, and no, not from me yanking it to hard or far. Took the starter apart & fixed it, but frankly, I'm ready to either buy a different engine or toss this thing in the dumpster.

ARRRG!

AJsToyz 03-29-2006 05:13 PM

RE: Tornado XP problems

I had to adjust everything on my carb , low speed , high speed , idle . I even moved one of the stops on the linkage a little to get the idle and brakes how I like them. Mine was so tight when I got it that it siezed up when I started it. I had to remove the head and cycle it with the cylinder loose to get it going. After a few head aches its running really good. Mine does not like low nitro fuel at all. It runs really good off 1/2A fuel - 25% nitro 20% oil. A little messy out the pipe though. I ran some 10% Traxxas today , and what a pig !! You can tune it to idle , rev up , just totally gutless!!

yj4x4 03-30-2006 12:42 PM

You're lucky. I've repeatedly done all that too. So far I've burned 2 tanks of good quality 20% fuel running up to 45 seconds at a time. Also the glow plug that came with it was doa. I figured I'd replace it after break in, but I thought I'd at least be able to run it with the installed plug to begin with.

Popper252 03-30-2006 01:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear you all are having so much trouble tuning these things. I guess I was lucky as I haven't even had to touch any of my needles. Well actually I richened my HSN setting just a tad for the breaking in of my engine but other than that I've been good. My glow plug also died within the first few tanks but from what I've heard that's pretty common with all engines.

yj4x4 03-31-2006 04:31 AM

Yes, you should always change the glow plug after break-in because they can get coated with metal fragments as the engine wears in. however, i ment it was DOA to begin with. Engine would not start, so after a while I pulled the plug out and tested it, and it would not light up at all.

yj4x4 03-31-2006 04:40 PM

well I finally got it running. However the idle is still WAY too high. That sucker is running about 20mph at idle. I've backed the idle screw way out, but it has not changed. I guess I'll just wait till I run a couple more tanks through it. That is after I replace the broken a arm and bent shock tower I got when it idled into a post.:eek:

Popper252 03-31-2006 06:00 PM

Haha I got real lucky today, I ran into one of those bob's barricade things, flipped a few times, and landed upright and just drove off. I also hit a pot hole pretty badly and I was sure that my a arm broke but again nothing. My r/c gaurdian angel was watching over me or somthing. I've been having some problems with adjusting my idle and brake settings also. I took the arm off the servo and I didn't mark where it was lined up, so when I put it back on things were off. But yeah, don't worry yj there will be better days. I remember my first week things were breaking left and right and I honestly had no clue what I was doing. I'm slowly starting to ease out of that stage. Hell I've even gotten a bit better at the whole driving part [8D] Who knew keeping these things from crashing was so hard. haha

ehroof 03-31-2006 08:25 PM

the setup of the throttle linkage, springs and collars are not very accurate from the factory and you need to fool with it and the break setting, also you may need to tighten the allen screws aroung the brake disc.

yj4x4 04-01-2006 02:44 AM

Yea, crashes happen. At least the replacement parts are cheap. When I was learning to fly my helicopter, I probably spent enough money in replacement parts to have just gone out and bought a new one. Heck, the main blades are $75.00 a set, more if I get carbon fiber.

dclintonh 12-09-2006 11:57 AM

hi guys
i just joined the forum and i have a tornado on the way i hope its not as bad as u guys say.
i was wondering if u can swap in a 1 speed tranny?
and how the heck do you start a thead? i see no button to click thanks

bluecaka69 12-09-2006 12:17 PM

yes the 1 speed tranny will drop right in there not all that bad

graymatters 12-09-2006 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: dclintonh

and how the heck do you start a thead? i see no button to click thanks
it is the "NEW POST" Button at the top of the thread table.
click here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm
and look for the new post button on the left.

best of luck with the XP. I have an XL that has been running great. I have put at least a gallon through that thing with no major problems (except for me running into too many things).

glk420247 12-09-2006 07:06 PM

You know we might complain a lot here, but I really do like my tornado xp. As you read more and more you will read alot of good things too. Its just the time you have to put into to it to get it running the way you want. Thats just part of the hobby, so I will just deal with it. Yeah I really do like it for my first r/c I have learned a ton of things with this buggy, so you could say this is a excellent beginner r/c. I hope when you get yours you have lots of fun with it, because this hobby is awesome. I have met a lot of great people here. They will make you laugh and piss you off at the same time :D So I welcome you to the forum dclintonh. And just have fun with it.