RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   baught a tornado XP anything i need to know? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4101269-baught-tornado-xp-anything-i-need-know.html)

toastycodem 03-29-2006 11:37 PM

baught a tornado XP anything i need to know?

just wanted to know what i should do prior to starting and running. This is my first ever nitro R/C car and i need the basics and info on my first run.

Popper252 03-29-2006 11:52 PM

RE: baught a tornado XP anything i need to know?

Well true to the name, they are pretty much ready to run. Other than installing all the batteries and making sure everything is working correctly in the servo dept you should be ok. Just add some fuel to the tank and then put your finger over the exhaust opening to plug it up. Then pull the starter cord and you'll see fuel start to flow to the engine. Once you get it there stop pulling on the cord, add one or two more drops directly into the carb where the air filter sits. Be sure to put some air filter oil on the filters themselves. I just used mineral oil and I hear that vegetable oil works fine aswell. Just go ahead and rub it in there. You don't want to completely saturate it but make sure there's enough so that it goes all the way through the filter. After that be sure to start it on a stand of some sort so when the engine does start it doesn't run away from you. Also a nice little tip, short fast strokes on the pull cord are preferred. These pull cords are a little notorious for breaking so be sure not to pull it out too far. Once you get it started adjust the throttle on the remote control so your wheels stop spinning but so the brake isn't engaged. Once you get those few baisics done then it's time to start breaking that engine in. As for breaking it in check out this thread. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4079464/tm.htm[/link] Hope all that helps. If you have anymore questions let us know.

krazd360 03-30-2006 08:25 AM

also here are a few problems i had with mine. after you go through the break in period my wheels wouldn't stop turning "the clutch spring broke" ,take that spring to your local hobby shop and get i stronger one your car will run a lot better. and buy some extra parts these thing will break . also get some extra gears i wore mine out ,and make sure you check all your screws so they are tight also get some lock tight to secure the ones that start coming loose. have patients i kinda of frustrated at first

Chubbysdad 03-30-2006 04:22 PM

Make sure you tape your batteries in the battery pack. If they happen to come loose(which they have) while you are going full throttle, you will lose all control over your car because your radio will not work if the batteries in the reciever in the car come loose.

toastycodem 03-30-2006 06:19 PM

thanks guys for your help i cant wait

bluecaka69 03-30-2006 09:32 PM

watch out for trees LOL:D

Popper252 03-30-2006 09:36 PM

Haha trees and sign posts...fences... baisically anything stationary....

toastycodem 04-01-2006 12:12 AM

HAHAHA thanks for warning me i got my tornado and broke it in and everything, it went great thanks to your help. and i didnt watch out for curbs and nailed one at full throttle nothin broke but its funny you said that.

Popper252 04-01-2006 12:21 AM

Yeah curbs suck too, they just jump at you sometimes. Seriously these things get going so fast that sometimes you just can't avoid it. Glad to hear everything went well though. You may want to look into buying a new glow plug now. That's gonna be one of the first things to go. Especially after your engine break in. If you end up not being able to start your engine a good way to check to see if it's your glow plug is to take it out and put it onto your ignitor and see if it lights up. Careful not to burn yourself, those suckers get hot. I'm still nursing a burn I got from my first one :eek: Good luck man.