RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4164599-redcat-why-do-gears-strip-out-big-news-added-page-5-a.html)

arlo1 01-10-2008 12:19 PM

RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT??

ORIGINAL: Shupid_one

now i am going to buy one of these cars, either the tremor or the xp.

what i think is happening is that the two speed is absent of the important slipper clutch. like all you know the slipper well, slips if there is excess torq on the drive tran. when your driving your car off road the gears are subjected to diferating pressure, this pressure is highest when jumping, accelerating or during the second gear transition. when you mix cheap plastic with no slipper and high torq you are asking for trouble.

i belive the gearbox was developed for the on road cars because the terrain is flat and is not subjected to massive load, they figured to give everybody two speed and keep the cost of desighning down.
so, i would only get the single speed tranny, just put in a spur with less teeth.

when i get a car im going to swap the spur with a traxxas (if capatible) traxxas makes a strong gear.
This seems very very like likely No how do we fix this?

arlo1 01-10-2008 12:30 PM

hey erhoof I used a hpi threaded clutch bell on my first buggy it is now retiried because of all the problems I made it my parts car the hpi bell with threaded gears seemed ok but I think I have two problems One I need a slipper clutch in the spur gears to save them from the shock of bumps and landings were I couldnt let off the gas fast enough and the other problem is the tranny is realy prone to crud and small debris getting in through the bottom of the frame and chewing the gears up so I think A tranny with tougher spur gears that slip and are sealed is the ticket or at leaste have a cover unerneath. does any one know If Hpi Has a tranny that will fit. My last tranny had more load on it because I went to bigger tires but it was alot better for the rest of the car I am going to order a 13/18 clutch bell to gear it down. But I still need to replace my tranny.

ehroof 01-10-2008 01:09 PM

no bro, no hpi fits, i have a rs4 evo and an mt and neither are close. no spur gears fit either, i dont believe in covering up that hole since its a way for trapped rocks and debris to get out.

arlo1 01-10-2008 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ehroof

no bro, no hpi fits, i have a rs4 evo and an mt and neither are close. no spur gears fit either, i dont believe in covering up that hole since its a way for trapped rocks and debris to get out.
I tried to run at a base ball diamond and I couldn't becase the window was letting rocks seize my gears almost every time I hit the brakes hard it would just stop and bog till i pulled the rock out and it kept happening about ten times till I went home and put duct tape on the bottom and never had problems since other then the gears just striping.

hrdcoreglf 01-10-2008 08:30 PM

Sounds like it is time to switch to 1/8 scale, single spur gear. I have never had any of these problems.

arlo1 01-10-2008 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: hrdcoreglf

Sounds like it is time to switch to 1/8 scale, single spur gear. I have never had any of these problems.
so what car do you have and how many tanks of gas through it and how much maintence and parts has it required?

tkopper 03-23-2008 11:47 PM

i bought a chinese nockoff just like the redcat tornado bb, those dame spur gears, the teeth dont strip for me but on the 42T spur the little notch that the cluth grabs to engage the spur, keeps on being shreadded, i emailed redcat 15 times so far still no response, anyone know where i can get steel our aluminum spurs for it. the peace of junk i buoght is a 1/10 .18 buggy, servos, spurs, reciever, rim, and exahst failed on this thing, ive replaced every thing with brand name products, exepect those dame spurs. the GO .18 racing engine runs good, the only thing on it that works, go to dnaracingteam.com, check out the junk.

RedcatRacing 03-23-2008 11:53 PM

tkopper, the factory that produces the Redcat car does not put GO engines in them, therefore the parts are most likely different and non interchangeable. You should contact the person you bought it from and try to find out who the factory is. It sounds like it could be FS Racing as I know they use GO engines. Its not the same factory as Redcat.

Darin

tkopper 03-25-2008 06:01 PM

the spurs are exactly the same, 100% identicle, engines fine, i did not comment about that.

dpr3z 04-25-2008 11:47 PM

Ok, when it comes to being a noob about these trucks Im the king. I just purchased my first one this week, didn't have alot to spend, just looking to have a little fun. I purchased a Himoto Eldorada. From what I have been reading in other forums, it appears that this is very similar to the Volcano. I ain't trying to step on anyones toes here and say I have the same thing cause god knows I have very little knowledge about the hobby. Anyway, I got my truck today, went through the break in period, after I done that and adjusted on the steering and throttle I started running it around the yard, nothing hard just maybe half throttle or a bit more. I ran about 4 tanks of fuel out and about mid way through my 5th the car stopped and wouldn't go foward or backward. If you picked it up, the wheels would move, however that only lasted about 3 mins and then no movement of the wheels foward or backward. After examining the truck, I noticed that the plastic gear that the clutch bell connects to was almost smooth, no teeth. The truck was fun as hell for the hour I got to play with it, problem is I don't know that I want to spend 6 bucks on a plastic gear that may or may not last that long again. Is there a metal gear upgrade replacement for this problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

hpi-savage25 04-26-2008 12:17 AM

RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

k i stripped a spur gear, bought a new one but i'm having problems getting the stripped spur gear out... what do i need to do?

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-26-2008 12:18 AM

the spur isn't the root problem...the root problem is the old aluminum clutchbell. if your clutchbell is silver, then you need to upgrade...SOON...if your clutchbell is black, you're cool as a cucumber.

And welcome to the hobby...and being broke like the rest of us addicts! All it takes is one car...and they multiply like rabbits...

ranger4x4 04-26-2008 01:31 AM

the color don't mean much. use a magnet to check the clutch and see if it's aluminum or steel. as for the spur gear problem in the previous post. you always have to check your gear mesh to make sure it's right. proper gear mesh should help with the stripping problem

dpr3z 04-26-2008 08:23 AM

Where can I get an upgraded clutch bell? Mine is silver and steel as my magnet sticks to it. I appreciate you guys letting me know what's going on with this problem and how to fix it.

ranger4x4 04-26-2008 08:50 AM

you shouldn't need an upgraded clutch bell, if it's steel. you gotta get the gear mesh correct and that will stop the stripping of the spur gear.

dpr3z 04-26-2008 08:55 AM

Ok, completely lost, so I don't need to upgrade the clutchbell, and I need to just buy the plastic gear? Seems like plastic vs metal at that kinda RPM's wouldn't hold up much longer than my original. What do you mean about gotta get the gear mesh right? What is that? Shouldn't it have been right from the factory?

Boxhead from MN 04-26-2008 10:07 AM

Have you checked to make sure all of your screws are tight?

I usually check mine after a few runs.

If the screws that hold the motor to the chassis come loose, the clutchbell will eat the plastic spur gear.

It is recommended that all fasteners that go into metal have blue thread lock (Loctite) on them.

Chris

dpr3z 04-26-2008 11:01 AM

No I didn’t check those. I appreciate the heads up on it. I was unaware that they would loosen themselves up so quickly. I will replace that plastic gear and try that. Can anyone tell me what “ gear mesh “ is and how I do it. Thanks again

ranger4x4 04-26-2008 11:12 AM

i use the paper method to check the gear mesh. i'll post a link for you.
http://www.rcracingusa.net/gearmesh.htm that explains the best method of setting the gear mesh properly.

dpr3z 04-26-2008 11:33 AM

Thanks so much for that. I think that may have been what happened to me. I figured that it would be set right from factory but I guess not or maybe the screw loosened up or something, who knows. I appreciate all the heads up and the help from everyone. I had a freakin blast for the hour or so I got to play with it but just got real bummed out that it tore up so quick. Does anyone know if I can get that plastic gear at a local hobby shop like HobbyTown USA or not?

dpr3z 04-27-2008 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for being cool and helping me out with the problems I had. That's right I said HAD.....lol. I no longer have any issues with my truck. I want to share something I discovered yesterday when replacing my plastic spur gear. I didn't want to wait for another plastic spur gear to be shipped to me so I took a trip to a few hobby shops in my area. I took the junk plastic one with me, I searched through tons of Traxxis and HPI parts trying to find something that I could modify to work. After alot of driving to different hobby shops and looking through an unbelievable amount of parts I found what I was looking for. What I found was a steel spur gear. That's right steel, no more plastic. I bought the part came back home and put it together. It works like it was built to. No more stripping, no more anything. I played with it for nearly 5 straight hrs last night and ended up smokin a Savage X and a TMaxx, all before my rear knuckle and dogbone broke, which I ended up fixing myself. At the end of the day the Tmaxx wouldn't start back and the Savage X had the same problem I did have, stripped spur gear which left the Eldorada the last one standing. This may be something that someone else has already discovered but if they have I didn't know it which is why I am posting this. I normally would try to make some money on this discovery but this community has been very nice and helpful so I wanted to come here first and let everyone in on my discovery. Below is a picture of what I bought. I am fully confident that this will fix your spur gear problem!

What you will need to buy will cost roughly 10 bucks.

You will need a......

High Speed Third Gear Set for Savage 3 Speed

Scotch Tape or another bearing just like what is at the end of the spur gear set up

THATS IT

What I done because I didn't know I needed another bearing was I took the main gear out of the new pack ( which is also 35 tooth ) took my old gear set up apart, put the back side together ( side with the tension spring ) then I took scotch tape ( sounds ghetto but it worked perfectly ) and wrapped a few very small peices around the shaft that goes through the spur gear, this tape only needs to be in the middle of the spur gear because if it sits out too far the bearing that goes in the middle of the spur gear you bought in this gear pack won't go back far enough. After wrapping the shaft with tape and slidding the bearing from the pack in the center put your center pin in and slide the second gear on. Put your E Clip back on and tighten the entire set up down. I took a pair of vice grips and held the small gear very carefully and tighten the nut at the end of the spring with my hand as tight as I could. There were absolutlely no play between the shaft and the new spur gear, and the shaft was perfectly centered in the middle. I put the set up back together and ran the truck, didn't give me one problem. Not even a hint of a problem.......Just figured I would let you know of another option you have. Checked the spur gear this morning and my clutch bell and they both look brand new, no wear and tear at all.

Hope this helps someone and that it's not a repeat post. Good luck

zeen420 04-27-2008 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya.. tell me about it....

Boxhead from MN 04-27-2008 07:43 PM

You will have to keep us up to date on this.

I have run about two quarts through my Volcano and my spur gear still looks like new.

Do you think the other parts broke because of the steel spur gear?

Now that the spur gear isn't the weakest part.

Chris

nubzorz 05-01-2008 11:35 AM

RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

i own a tornado bb and i beat the crap out of this thing and have never had any problems with it besides my bad driving i smashed into a tree doing probly 30mph and broke just about everything lol i bent the shock mount, bent the chasis,broke a dogbone,a wheel,a-arm pin bent and lower front arm snapped but when all this happened all the motor and trans were perfectly fine but i have another redcat in the mail and i will let you know if anything goes wrong

00Desmond 04-02-2009 09:36 PM

I deleted my original post because it was lengthy and I found the answer already, but here is a recap incase anyone else has the same problem...

My Volcano T2 transmission is not working. The car just sits in place when I rev the engine as if it has a neutral. All of the spur gears look fine, and the clutch seems to be working properly. I can see the spur gear going into the transmission spinning, but the drive shaft isn't spinning.

I watched this [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE1nEsknKrA]video by alishanmao[/link] and it really helped. There is a piece inside called a one way bearing that had aparently broke. I am working on ordering it now, but I can't seem to find it on Redcat's website. There is one that looks a lot like what I need listed for the Volcano, but in the description it says to use it with a pull start, so I am thinking it may not be right. Of course since Redcat doesn't have any parts listed for the T2, it makes it a little difficult to tell.
Anyway, I'll update if I get a part number.

-Desmond

Edit: Found the part ... it is part number 06267 called hex nut & bearing. It's listed for the Tornado and the Tsunami, so hopefully it will work.