RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4207842-redcat-vehicle-repair-tune-faq.html)

ehroof 01-03-2007 10:05 PM

RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

i answered you before, if the car doesnt shift the rpm's are too high and the engine will stall, you need to change the 2 speed shifter, i said to you before that i had to change mine and its a common problem. you can try to richen it an 1/8 turn counter clockwise to give it more fuel since the reason it is stalling out is becuase the rpms are too high for the amount of fuel the engine is getting.

NSXTACY 01-03-2007 10:36 PM

Thanks, sorry must have not noticed.... ANd i don't know how my car can't get anymore rich it is already spitting fuel out the exhaust....[:@] Wasting my precious nitro. Oh and i found out why i couldn't get teh 2 way clutch off: the grub screw slipped off teh flat part of teh shaft and got on teh round part scratching it up like crazy! Had to hammer the freaking 2 way clutch to get it off(i almost thought it was welded to the shaft). But i should get the stuff in 2 days. Hopefully i won't screw it up again. Thanks guys, don't know what i would do with out this thread.....:D

nitrospeed33 01-03-2007 11:09 PM

i brought my car out again today and it is still really fast but i did for the first time floor it, and when i floor it the engine stays at the same rpm for like 2-3 seconds and then blasts off really fast, i totally forgot how to tune since this is the first time driving a nitro in about 2 years. im gonna go out sometime soon and tune it properly, but could part of this be the new higher stall traxxas clutch bell? i did read ehroofs thread on nitro tuning and am gonna use that, but i wanted to know if you guys think that sounds like a bad engine problem or just a simple tuning thing? but it does shift into second gear nice!:D thanks!:D

NSXTACY 01-03-2007 11:57 PM

Simple tuning thing. Just make the low speed needle leaner maybe the high speed leaner too. This will help ALOT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg

You like perfection too like me...lol :D I am still screwing with the high/low speed needles but it is already good enough, i just like perfection.
Have Fun and hope u have better luck than me!

mozzzy_2000 01-04-2007 03:51 AM

hey nitro definately sounds like the LSN needs to leaned out. HSN for maximum speed and LSN for throttle response.

nitrospeed33 01-04-2007 10:44 AM

okay thanks, im gonna print out a page on tuning, but thanks for the help. also i love perfection. but i think thats what killed my old car.

beginner to nitro + perfectionist = :(

it died after 3 gallons:( also, after i was done driving my car was really dirty, it was wet and muddy, so i cleaned it off really good and i had just done the after run procedure and so i went to check the brakes and they rub a little in nuetral and have really bad braking when i want the brakes aplied.:( i tried messing with it with the throttle trim and all this different crap but i couldn't figure it out. any help would be great. thanks:D

vulken2003 01-04-2007 03:07 PM

has anyone replaced a flywheel mine snapped a alignment pin off for the clutch plates took it apart and it has been awhile, cant seem to remember how it goes back together( that is where some of the washers go) any help?

NSXTACY 01-04-2007 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

okay thanks, im gonna print out a page on tuning, but thanks for the help. also i love perfection. but i think thats what killed my old car.

beginner to nitro + perfectionist = :(

it died after 3 gallons:( also, after i was done driving my car was really dirty, it was wet and muddy, so i cleaned it off really good and i had just done the after run procedure and so i went to check the brakes and they rub a little in nuetral and have really bad braking when i want the brakes aplied.:( i tried messing with it with the throttle trim and all this different crap but i couldn't figure it out. any help would be great. thanks:D
OH NO[X(] i am a beginner in nitro to and a perfectionist, i hope my car doesn't go bad that soon. Right now my car is working GREAT after a week or 2 of fixxing and ordering parts. [sm=tired.gif] But i still have to fix the 2 speed, which i am waiting for parts NOW....:eek: Hopefully i will beable to switch gears soon, mine will run in 1st gear pretty good but it won't switch gears.

Oh and was wondering how do u floor your remote control trigger? Do you use your foot to control the RC controller? LOL :D Just J/K. For now on call it wide open throttle or something else. :) Later

NSXTACY 01-04-2007 05:58 PM

OK i spoke too soon...my car is yet broken again. :( Well... what happened was while i was running it (slow) suddenly it changed engine sounds (the car had been running great all day). The sound went from the usual low whine to a deeper sound. Once i heard that, i drove it right up next to me, then it cut off. Tried to start it back up again like a million times, but still wouldnt start (it would make a quick rev but then cut off). I was like OH ****! I first thought it was the glow plug since i had been using the same OS A3 for a while. It wasn't, it glowed fine, but being on the safe side i changed to my newer A3. I tried to start it up and still REFUSES to start. I messed with the needles for a while, put them back close to factory settings and still no luck. I checked everythign i thought it could be. Exhaust, prime, air intake, fuel tank, everything. Anybody else ever had this? Any suggestions? Any fixes? Or do i have a ruined engine? Please don't say i did! PLEASE! [:o] Im gonna take it apart, AGAIN and check out everything thoroughly... What should check?? Any tips!
Please HELP! ANY information can help me ALOT. Thanks
WHY does stuff always break for me??

nitrospeed33 01-04-2007 06:04 PM

sorry, cant help.:( but would anyone be able to help me with my brake problem. my brakes rub a little when in the nuetral postion and then when i press on the brakes to make it stop the brakes are as weak as crap.[:o] plaese help. thanks:D

nitrospeed33 01-04-2007 06:33 PM

acctually, you could check your cooling head nsxtacy. if the head is loose at all the fuel wont get to the carb or if it does get in nothing will happen. it happened with my old car, so just check. hope you get it workin, and any help on my brakes would be great!:)

ehroof 01-04-2007 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY

OK i spoke too soon...my car is yet broken again. :( Well... what happened was while i was running it (slow) suddenly it changed engine sounds (the car had been running great all day). The sound went from the usual low whine to a deeper sound. Once i heard that, i drove it right up next to me, then it cut off. Tried to start it back up again like a million times, but still wouldnt start (it would make a quick rev but then cut off). I was like OH ****! I first thought it was the glow plug since i had been using the same OS A3 for a while. It wasn't, it glowed fine, but being on the safe side i changed to my newer A3. I tried to start it up and still REFUSES to start. I messed with the needles for a while, put them back close to factory settings and still no luck. I checked everythign i thought it could be. Exhaust, prime, air intake, fuel tank, everything. Anybody else ever had this? Any suggestions? Any fixes? Or do i have a ruined engine? Please don't say i did! PLEASE! [:o] Im gonna take it apart, AGAIN and check out everything thoroughly... What should check?? Any tips!
Please HELP! ANY information can help me ALOT. Thanks
WHY does stuff always break for me??
did you read the troubleshooting thread, if not see if this helps : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5174647/tm.htm when it stopped running was it easy to pull or hard, was there compression, what you are describing sounds like it may have been overheated.

ehroof 01-04-2007 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

acctually, you could check your cooling head nsxtacy. if the head is loose at all the fuel wont get to the carb or if it does get in nothing will happen. it happened with my old car, so just check. hope you get it workin, and any help on my brakes would be great!:)
i had to change the servo on my tornado because it wasnt powerfull enough for the brakes and change the radio for my volcano for the same reason. when you use the brakes is it easy to push forward? you may also have to tighten the brake rod a few turns.

nitrospeed33 01-04-2007 07:45 PM

the servo does it easy and fast, and it lookes like it should work, but when i brought it out today the brkes worked fine. wierd, but fine with me.:D

NSXTACY 01-04-2007 08:10 PM

Ok i found out why it wouldn't start BRAND NEW CLUTCH SPRING BROKE AGIAN! I got it from Hobby Town, a Traxxas clutch spring with shoes (that don't fit) for 7 freaking bucks and after 4 days teh spring already broke.....[:@] Why? Why? Are the springs programmed to break every couple days just so i can waste my nights gutting my nitro car, to find out i have to buy another spring for 7 buks? I don't get it. Is there any place online to get a bundle of long lasting clutch springs for really cheap? I need to do something else besides reaplacing teh spring every week.... Any suggestions? Any reason why they break so much? HELP ME BEFORE I GO CRAZY.[>:] :D Thanks

nitrospeed33 01-04-2007 08:13 PM

the traxxas clutch spring didn't work for you? it works for me and its suppost to work. it took half an hour and several blooding fingers to get it on, but so what, lol. it should work.

nitrospeed33 01-04-2007 08:15 PM

oh wait, sorry i reread the thread and i realized that you said the shoes dont fit, sorry, never mind what i said.

ehroof 01-04-2007 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY

Ok i found out why it wouldn't start BRAND NEW CLUTCH SPRING BROKE AGIAN! I got it from Hobby Town, a Traxxas clutch spring with shoes (that don't fit) for 7 freaking bucks and after 4 days teh spring already broke.....[:@] Why? Why? Are the springs programmed to break every couple days just so i can waste my nights gutting my nitro car, to find out i have to buy another spring for 7 buks? I don't get it. Is there any place online to get a bundle of long lasting clutch springs for really cheap? I need to do something else besides reaplacing teh spring every week.... Any suggestions? Any reason why they break so much? HELP ME BEFORE I GO CRAZY.[>:] :D Thanks

i have had the traxxas 4146x spring in my redcats for almost a year now. you have to make sure the clasp of the spring ends are in the middle of a cluch shoe not where they open.

NSXTACY 01-04-2007 08:39 PM

It works, but the hook on the end broke and its only been like 4-5 days! So it doesnt stay together anymore, meaning the clutch is always engaged! Why i couldnt start the car. and why it made the deeper pitch.

ehroof 01-04-2007 08:50 PM

you cant start the car because the clutch engages as soon as the flywheel spins, if you start it off the ground i am sure it will start, the sound may be a tuning problem, it sounds to me like you may have overheated it. can you rebend the end of the cluch spring and reclasp it, maybe it will work for you, just make sure you put the clasp in the middle of a cluch shoe.

NSXTACY 01-04-2007 09:17 PM

I already knew that it won't start on teh ground when teh clutch spring is broken. And i don't think it overheated, the head was actually not that warm when i touched it to take out the glow plug. I think it changed sounds when teh clutch spring broke causing the clutch to engage when the motor revs were too low, maybe. I will try reconnecting the clutch spring. But is there any online store where i can get a butt load of good, cheap clutch springs that will work with a tornado? And i have my motor tuned almost perfect. Runs very cool and pretty fast. And i did the pinch the fuel line test and it reved a really tiny bit then shut off(means its tuned well). When u mean teh middle u mean the side that doesnt swing off? Thanks

ehroof 01-04-2007 09:26 PM

yes, middle of the cluch shoe, check the cluch upgrade thread, there is another spring thats cheaper and you get 2.

NSXTACY 01-04-2007 10:44 PM

OK thanks

zack221 01-04-2007 11:08 PM

no it is a sticky that ehroof created it is right below this thread

NSXTACY 01-06-2007 12:45 AM

Anyway to fix a leaky shock? OR do i have to buy aluminum body shocks? [:'(] Where can i get cheap aluminum body shocks for the tornado?
Oh and i have always wondered why the only nitro buggy ive seen with wider wheels in the rear than in the front is the tornado.... Why is that? I like that design, it looks cool.:D

Also Is there any way to take paint off plastic without damaging anything? I spray painted the wheels of my tornado and accidientally left it outside and ruined overnight, now i need to take off the paint and sanding wont work cause there is too many small crevices. Is there a formula i could use that you can buy? Right now i am soaking them in really hot water and its working all right. Any other easy method i could try to get the paint off. Man i hate painting, you must have everything perfect for it to turn out ok. Even one little hair or debris will MESS the whole thing up. [:@] grrrr.