RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   CLUTCH BELL AND CLUTCH SPRING UPGRADES (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5132243-clutch-bell-clutch-spring-upgrades.html)

ehroof 01-29-2007 09:21 PM

RE: CLUTCH BELL AND CLUTCH SPRING UPGRADES

you could add a washer but you shouldnt need too. you can bring your car without fuel in it and you cant bring fuel.

MiniCwik 01-30-2007 07:25 AM

My bro-in-law had a similar issue with his single speed, there was play in the clutch bell position. We had to look far and wide to find washers thin enough, but finally found some HPI one's - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXM693&P=K

And I guess that is good news that I can take my nitro car with me when I go on vacation, well for me anyway as my wife will surely not be happy :D

green 1 01-30-2007 08:28 PM

thanks for all the help on clutches it blew me away yaall are quit a group of dudes i just wonderd if heat is also a huge factor on plastic i think upgrade clutch to 3 shoe and quick engage what do you think? green 1

ehroof 01-30-2007 08:50 PM

you would need to change the flywheel too if you want to put a 3 clutch system. The biggest problem it aluminum bells are out of round, too soft and cant take any heat, i had the teeth seperate from the bell, so there is also poor casting. I havent stripped gears on any of my redcats since i changed the clutch bells.

green 1 01-30-2007 09:56 PM

hi eroof i looked up some of the part #s you posted and the tooth count is different my bell is 16 and 21 also i dont remember wich one of your #s but a lady said its nla im sure someone has 1. with diff tooth count would overall size be the same?i definatly want to go hpi and have you looked at 1 way brng. mine melted plastic a speck still feels perfect i think ill replace it anywaythanks green 1

ehroof 01-30-2007 10:12 PM

there is a 1 tooth difference on the ugrade bell from hpi. no real difference. a lady said its nla?? You may have to widdle a little off the plastic post next to the bell but it works fine, i have used it for months along with several others.

NSXTACY 01-30-2007 10:30 PM

I have the HPI 2 speed clutch bell setup for the tornado and to tell u the truth the acceleration i about the same compared to the stock clutch bell. You would think the acceleration would be decreased since it has more teeth. But so far i cant see a difference. ;)

jefffoht 01-31-2007 01:18 AM

sorry i do not know where the spring goes i have no idea

ehroof 01-31-2007 07:12 AM

spring goes around the clutch shoes under the clutch bell

green 1 02-04-2007 05:28 PM

for clutch bell on redcat i found asociated parts at tower #are brngs.lxbmd7 or2320 cut out bell lightweight #lxbmj9 or1702 21 t gear lxbmc8 0r 2300 and lxazl6 16 tooth also209 you mite have to change shaft with e ring cutout if you can compair these with hpi #sor hold them in hand and compair let me know i cant affrd to buy both any info would be nice mabe someone has hpi and associated parts to compare or a hobby shop by them would be real nice i like lightweight cutout model prob cooler i also saw a clutch plate looked like a fan wonder if it works its just plate with pins maybe even 3 for better clutch let me hear what you think green1

green 1 02-04-2007 07:55 PM

hi did the vented hpi bell fit or was it associated that made it?

MiniCwik 02-04-2007 11:48 PM

The HPI one fit great and works very well!

MiniCwik 02-21-2007 12:20 PM

How about installing the A886 - HPI teflon shoes with the clips eliminating the spring.

Who has installed them? Do you have any tips? I have a set on order.

http://h1071671.hobbyshopnow.com/Pro...PIA886-250.jpg

slide150 02-21-2007 01:06 PM

the install is pretty straight forward the long part of the spring goes in the long groove and the round part with the l shape goes on the insede between the holes when u slip them on make sure you have a flat head screwdriver to pull the spring back a little and it should slip right on

slide150 02-21-2007 01:10 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5378904/tm.htm

this should help ya out

123michael 02-25-2007 10:50 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5468639/tm.htm come on guys get one please they do fit;);););););););););););)

MiniCwik 02-25-2007 11:00 AM

Nice find, what ever happened to the smaller teflon one's with the clips? I am waiting on mine but if these are that much better I may just return or exchange them.

stallone11 02-28-2007 01:08 AM

Is it correct to use these two gears (HPI Pinion Gear 22Tx12mm Nitro 2-Speed Nitro 3 and HPI Aluminum Threaded Pinion Gear 17T Nitro 3) on my tornado BB because my stock clutch bell have 16t and 21t????

Do i have to change gear on tranny??

thanks

slide150 02-28-2007 06:29 AM

no you dont it doesnt make a difference its only 1 tooth difference

BOBCAT45 03-01-2007 11:04 AM

my tornado xp finally broke the clutch spring yesterday! i ordered the parts from the post from the beginning, my question is should i use the stockbell or go ahead and use the hpi one and the gears? i ordered he traxxas 4146x spring #86039 clutchbell, #76977pinion gear, #76982 pinionon gear,should i locktite the gears on the bell? please let me no as i am getting ready to put her back togeter.
BOBCAT

123michael 03-01-2007 03:26 PM

its up to you really.i would put hpi bell on bechause it is better and the stock one may chew your gears up.no really it may chew you gears up if you have stock one on.it really depends on how long you have had it but i would advice you to put on.its there then you never know when stock one is gunna chew your gears up.;););)

ehroof 03-01-2007 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: BOBCAT45

my tornado xp finally broke the clutch spring yesterday! i ordered the parts from the post from the beginning, my question is should i use the stockbell or go ahead and use the hpi one and the gears? i ordered he traxxas 4146x spring #86039 clutchbell, #76977pinion gear, #76982 pinionon gear,should i locktite the gears on the bell? please let me no as i am getting ready to put her back togeter.
BOBCAT

change the bell when you change the spring, the aluminum stock clutch bells are out of round and will eat your spur gears, you dont need to locktite the pinions on the bell since it spins in the oposite direction, just make sure they are tight.

bash_N_corn 01-13-2008 09:03 AM

I have had about a quart of fuel through my hurricane xp and I have noticed the finish is wearing off the teeth of the clutch bell. The big gear is showing no signs of wear at all. The thing that has me concerned is the way the finish is wearing off the clutch bell. Looking at the place where the big gear tracks on it, it appears to be more worn towards one side than the other all the way around the clutch bell teeth. This makes me think that there may be a slight mesh alignment problem like the to gears are not square with each other. The car seems to run great, and turing it by hand, I don't detect binding. Is this just a matter of the gears wearing into each other or should I start thinking about an upgrade??

ehroof 01-13-2008 10:07 AM

the hurricanes never had a problem with the clutch bells or spur gears, they are indestructable, dont worry about the finish being worn off, its just paint. only the 1/10 had the aluminum clutch bells, now they are made of steel

bash_N_corn 01-13-2008 11:23 AM

Thanks for puting my mind to ease man, I figured as much, but being a mechanic, I can't help but notice things like that and after a couple days of thinking I had to hear someone else say it was nothing so I could move on.