RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Afterrun oil (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5146749-afterrun-oil.html)

nitrospeed33 12-22-2006 01:03 AM

Afterrun oil
 
Hey IM looking for a good afterrun oil, but I dont want to spend alot. There is allready a discusion on this in another forum, but I wanted to start a new forum, just for afterrun oil. I have been told to use what the hobby shops sell than allaboutfunhobbies said he likes 3 in 1 oil adn I heard from traxxas(my old car brand) that wd-40 works good for thier cars. i know that the hobby stuff probably works best but I just don't want to spend a lot of money. Do you guys have any cheap ideas?? or solutions. thanks:D

nantucket 12-22-2006 01:18 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
I personally use Hobbico after run oil. It's like $3 for 2 ounces and since you only need a few drops to protect your engine, it should last you a while.

giddyuperic 12-22-2006 02:17 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
I use prather after-run oil every body has their oil they like the one I use is 2 oz like the other guy said it's all the same just make sure you use it no matter what brand it is. It's good to put in a brand new motor and turn the motor over by hand or pull cord or roto start for about five to ten min to get the piston to seat in the sleve. And always use it when you are done running the engine pull the glow plug and put seven or so drops in there and also take the airfilter off and put some down there too. Have fun and injoy. Eric

abjones413 12-22-2006 07:13 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
I use Marvel Mystery Oil. It comes in a 10 oz. bottle for a few bucks. Can be found with any of the fuel/oil additives at Wal-Mart or any auto store. Good stuff.

{GBI}Harryball 12-22-2006 07:18 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

Hey IM looking for a good afterrun oil, but I dont want to spend alot. There is allready a discusion on this in another forum, but I wanted to start a new forum, just for afterrun oil. I have been told to use what the hobby shops sell than allaboutfunhobbies said he likes 3 in 1 oil adn I heard from traxxas(my old car brand) that wd-40 works good for thier cars. i know that the hobby stuff probably works best but I just don't want to spend a lot of money. Do you guys have any cheap ideas?? or solutions. thanks:D
You can continue to use wd40 if you would like, it does displace mosture. I was reading the other thread also. The idea is to keep mosture out of the motor that is caused by the fuel and wd40 does a pretty good job of that. So to be honest, continue with what you are doing if money is that much of an issue. :D

mozzzy_2000 12-22-2006 08:29 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
nah I'd highly recommend staying away from using wd40 as an afterrun oil. You'd be better off not using anything at all rather than that. Although wd40 displaces water it still does not have very good corrosion resistence. Its fine for using to clean the outside but never use it on the inside.
Afterun oil is just machine grade oil so many oil will do. But if you use your nitro more than once a week, after run oil is not really necessary.

{GBI}Harryball 12-22-2006 08:33 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

nah I'd highly recommend staying away from using wd40 as an afterrun oil. You'd be better off not using anything at all rather than that. Although wd40 displaces water it still does not have very good corrosion resistence. Its fine for using to clean the outside but never use it on the inside.
Afterun oil is just machine grade oil so many oil will do. But if you use your nitro more than once a week, after run oil is not really necessary.
LMFAO

nitrospeed33 12-22-2006 10:24 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
okay, thanks for the help:D

ehroof 12-22-2006 04:05 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
i agree, wd40 is not such a great lubricant/protectant, its just better to useafter run oil, its not that expensive and will last a long time. I usually buy hobbico:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL391&P=ML

your only talking $2.29, i think wd costs more than that.

nitrospeed33 12-22-2006 07:13 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
just bought it at my hobby shop. i guess its not too expensive, but its not cheap. thanks for the help:D

ehroof 12-22-2006 07:44 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
good, it should last you a while, dont overuse it, it can actually make the engine hard to start. 2-3 drops in the carb and the glow plug hole, then pull the starter a few times.

nitrospeed33 12-22-2006 08:17 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
okay, thanks ehroof, and all you peoples:D

bluecaka69 12-22-2006 11:29 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
what about sidewinder fuel they say you dont need after run oil with there fuel i run it but still use after run anybody else have feeling bout this

ehroof 12-22-2006 11:43 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
i think you should still use after run oil, just my opinion :)

zack221 12-23-2006 12:08 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
mine says that samething about you dont have to use after run oil but i do anyways

mozzzy_2000 12-23-2006 01:34 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
if you run the engine more than once a week, the pros will tell you ARO is not really necessary. But I guess its a personal choice. But I agree, ARO make my engines dam hard to start cuz they clog up the plugs and for this reason I only use ARO every now & then.

nantucket 12-23-2006 03:05 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000
But I agree, ARO make my engines dam hard to start cuz they clog up the plugs and for this reason I only use ARO every now & then.
Aren't you supposed to take the plug out and pull the starter cord to "blow out " all of the oil before you try to start it?

mozzzy_2000 12-23-2006 03:16 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
yeah but the oil is quite thick and still sticks to the inside of the engine. Anyway its only a minor quibble but still noticeable all the same.

nantucket 12-23-2006 03:41 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
To be completly honest, the last time I used after run oil I didn't pull the plug before trying to start it again... What a pain in the butt!!

mozzzy_2000 12-23-2006 05:36 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
thats the otherthing; I hate having to screw in & out the glow plug all the time when using ARO. it is a bit of a pain.

nitrospeed33 12-23-2006 11:37 AM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
So I dont have to use after run oil after every drive? I use taxxas 20% and that is high quality fuel and its supposed to have alot of oil. I run my car more than once a week. what do you guys think?thanks:D

zack221 12-23-2006 12:40 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
cool i use sidewinder fuel too

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bluecaka69

what about sidewinder fuel they say you dont need after run oil with there fuel i run it but still use after run anybody else have feeling bout this

nitrospeed33 12-23-2006 02:48 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
i know this has nothing to do with after run oil, but are the shocks on the bb good. Are they strong?? just wanna know. and this forum is really boring today, nothing new is happening.[&o]

nitrospeed33 12-23-2006 02:53 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 
and today I tried going on redcatracing.com and it wont go. are you guys having this problem? is it the site or is it just my dumb computer?

ehroof 12-23-2006 03:00 PM

RE: Afterrun oil
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

i know this has nothing to do with after run oil, but are the shocks on the bb good. Are they strong?? just wanna know. and this forum is really boring today, nothing new is happening.[&o]
holidays, everyone is out doing last minute shopping.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:32 AM.