RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   BATTERY PACK FOR TRANSMITTER? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5165540-battery-pack-transmitter.html)

ganjamatik 12-26-2006 10:01 PM

BATTERY PACK FOR TRANSMITTER?

IS THERE ANY TYPE OF BATER PACK OUT THERE FOR MY VOLCANO SV CONTROL, I JUST ORDER HUMP PACK FOR CAR ITSELF AND WAS JUST CURIOUS, THANKS

ehroof 12-26-2006 10:08 PM

RE: BATTERY PACK FOR TRANSMITTER?

I dont think so. It needs 8 1.5 volt batteries so its 12 volts, 8 1.2volt rechargables would be 9.6 volts and thats usually when most controllers start blinking red.

zack221 12-27-2006 12:11 AM

they do make transmitter packs ehroof idk if you meant they dont make them or you dont know one that works with our cars

giddyuperic 12-27-2006 12:19 AM

I go to the dollar store or the best place is the 99 cent only store they aways look at me funny when I come in and buy twenty bucks worth of battery's I think it's well worth it and they have name brand batts there.

Kemo 12-27-2006 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: ehroof

I dont think so. It needs 8 1.5 volt batteries so its 12 volts, 8 1.2volt rechargables would be 9.6 volts and thats usually when most controllers start blinking red.

Many people run nimh in their radios. I've got them in right now at 10.8 volts and full battery meter. Thats why they have charging jacks for radios.

ganjamatik 12-27-2006 12:52 AM

any 1 know where i might find one suitable for a volcano sv, that woul be the most convenient thing i could think of, i liereally may buy three just to have as backup, i really hate single use batteries

Kemo 12-27-2006 12:55 AM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYC8&P=ML

and a http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLJJ0&P=M since i'm not sure what kind of charger you'd need for the radio itself.

graymatters 12-27-2006 01:50 AM

have any of you tried using the rechargeable Alkalines? I use some by Pure Energy (you can get them from Sundance Solar). They are 1.5V and seem to be great rechargeable batteries. You can not charge them with a NiMH only charger however (must say specifically for alkaline, but will do NiMH also). I just wonder if anyone else is doing this. Seems like a less expensive alternate to the multicell NiCD packs while still getting the higher voltage rating.

Kemo 12-27-2006 11:09 AM

It might have a higher voltage rating, but the charge and battery life does not last nearly as long.

mozzzy_2000 12-27-2006 08:29 PM

yes rechargable AA's work really well. Most transmitters use very little power and I can go for several hours on one charge.

justpassinthru 12-28-2006 10:56 AM

Great NiMh rechargeables batteries AA/AAA/9V - 900-2500mha http://www.greenbatteries.com I have used them for years.

ORIGINAL: graymatters

have any of you tried using the rechargeable Alkalines? I use some by Pure Energy (you can get them from Sundance Solar). They are 1.5V and seem to be great rechargeable batteries. You can not charge them with a NiMH only charger however (must say specifically for alkaline, but will do NiMH also). I just wonder if anyone else is doing this. Seems like a less expensive alternate to the multicell NiCD packs while still getting the higher voltage rating.

Kemo 12-28-2006 11:41 AM

they'd have to drop their prices before i threw a penny at them. tower is still cheaper to get the venom 2400's.

charlieboy 12-29-2006 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: ehroof

I removed the battery tray from my radio and measured the voltage of the output terminals, i had fresh alkaline batteries, the O/P was 10.5V. In order to determine the output its not always a simple matter of multiplying the number of batteries by the amt of volts of individual cells, it also depends on how they are connected!!
Anyway, if the output of the batteries in the battery tray is 10.5V and your battery tray can be unplugged and removed then you can use a 9.6V transmitter pack instead, thats what i'm using without any trouble!!

zack221 12-29-2006 11:26 AM

are you using the original radio?

charlieboy 12-29-2006 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: zack221

are you using the original radio?
Well actually no, i'm not using the original radio, Its a Airtronics MX-3, my original radio broke about a week after i got it!!

97talontsi 12-30-2006 02:44 AM

how do you take the tray out from the bottom?

charlieboy 12-30-2006 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: thuglife71

how do you take the tray out from the bottom?

You may need to loosen the screws at the bottom of the radio, when you do you'll be able to just twist the tray out. Most if not all the radios i've seen are of modular construction so you can remove the radio tray. Some trays can be unplugged (they have futaba J style connector) or in other cases you may need to clip the wires because there is no connector.
If you have no connector, you'll need a female J style connector, install it to the wires inside the radio that you have clipped, (its just two wires so its easy) and viola all you need to do is to plug your 9.6V (8 cell) reciever pack