RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Volcano Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342027-redcat-racing-volcano-thread.html)

Gelo_USA 05-06-2008 08:37 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

u mean the part of the clutch bell with no teeth??
I will give it a look but problem seem to be fixed after I alligned the brakes if its hitting how do I bring it back?? I will look and post backk

Gelo_USA 05-06-2008 08:41 PM

nope.. I have good clearence there... only concern is the metal gear by the spur gear is really worn... but the plastic gear IS FINE the one tht makes contact with the worn metal gear... FUNNY HUH... plastic wearing a metal gear out.. thts only after 3/4 of a gallon throught the truck...I expected this to start happening on the 3rd gallon or so....

Gelo_USA 05-07-2008 06:25 PM

okk ran it outside.. worked for a while and started locking by it self again...... the clicking is exactly on the brakes so I think my disk is messed up or something...I will take it out tomorrow see if its alright...as for the locking part I dnt knw what the hell is happening but now I can see the "shoes" closing in on the disk whenever I roll the truck... I got mad and held the brake with my hand all the way and revved the engine to waste a little of the shoe or something... problem went away... I still got the clicking tough... I m going crazy already...

yesterday when taking the truck apart I saw the blue rubber from the pipe was leaking thts why I was getting so much grease all over the rear right shocks so I took it off and reasembled it with new wraps I expected I would have to tune the engine again but man I couldnt find the right spot after the leak is gone... its still a little too rich but I have no time to play with it today... the noise is also more annoying now...

kutzie1793 05-08-2008 05:47 AM

heyy i have a volcano sv. i broke a front axle, so i pulled out the other one so its just rear wheel drive. is this bad for it?? what should i take out to make it run better as rear wheel drive? and also, my trucks pretty stock. where can i get an engine just big enough to pull a wheelie (used, very cheap[like under 30bucks])??

kutzie1793 05-08-2008 03:50 PM

heyy its me again. i completely stripped the gear thats driven directly from the clutchbell. is this common? can i get one cheaper than on redcat's website? and can i get a metal one?

ranger4x4 05-08-2008 04:51 PM

that gear is called a spur gear, and no metal spur gears are a bad idea for them. they are plastic so that part fails if there is a problem and to save the rest of the driveline. you could look at allaboutfunhobbies or send an email or pm himotoracingusa. he might be able to help you out as well.

RACINFORFUN 05-08-2008 08:26 PM

I OWN A VOLCANO SV HOW DO YOU TAKE THE STEERING HUB OFF?

RCToysNh 05-09-2008 03:12 PM

You want part number 08013

We have them on our site.

Gelo_USA 05-09-2008 04:08 PM

is the rear differential the same as the front?? what are all the parts tht build a full differential?? I want to keep a whole one extra cause my front one seems to be the CLICLKING problem I am having... so I think its about to go soon.... I want to have an extra for when it breaks....

EdIT** also... what kind of oil/grease do I use inside the differential when rebuilding it...

numskull223 05-09-2008 11:08 PM

Yes the same. It catually looks just like a real life rearend. It has a ring gear and a pionion gear. Check to see if the c clip as came off the Pionion gear, could cause clicking souund.
I have noticed that when I apply the brakes, you can hear a lil clicking sound, but I knoe its the brakes, but I havent had the brakes lock up by there self. Good Luk.

Gelo_USA 05-10-2008 08:26 AM

also when I rev it full thortle from stopped I hear the click too... I will open up the differential todayy.. see if I find anything wrong....

Gelo_USA 05-10-2008 10:38 AM

diff is all ok... all metal gears.. I thought they were plastic... my problem is on the trans then for sure.. I got an spur gear kit.. I will try replacing the smaller metal gear cause the big one is fine the small is a little worn.. not too much but might be it.....

Gelo_USA 05-10-2008 06:24 PM

man its frustrating...:( I've taken the whole truck apart everysingle screw.... I cant find anything wrong.... today I finally found the sweet spot on tunning truck is running like hell... almost doing wheelies on grass but now its clicking way more when I rev it and when I brake... I tried braking and reving it to 100% for a while just full speed stop full speed stop but the damn part thts cliclking WONT BREAK ... I just want it to break now so I can see it and replace it... all differential gears are fine... clutch bell has no wear spur gear has no wear... I am starting to notice tht when it clicks I loose performance.... and when braking and it clicks its like the car runs loose for a sec of the click and locks again...I am already annoying everyone here I knw but this is suppost to be the official redcat racing support and I cant get any answer from them.......

I knw I am not doing anythign wrong... and there is no broken or stripped gears... now I m starting to regret saving 100$ cause I would've been better of paying more and not having this S#!T problem and no support

srry guys its nothing against u guys in the forum... I m pissed at redcat cause I email them and NOTHING.. I post here and NOTHING... its just frustrating....

Boxhead from MN 05-10-2008 07:11 PM

Have you checked that the set screws on the drive cups are set on the flat spot? Just a suggestion.

maybe the linkage for the brake is binding? Had mine out yesterday and didn't hear a clicking sound.

Hope you find the problem.

Chris

Gelo_USA 05-10-2008 07:17 PM

what are set screws exactly... I took it all aprt but dnt knw what those are.... what cups are u talking about?? the ones on the wheels.. transmission or diferentials???

chevyderek72 05-10-2008 11:01 PM

the drive cups are what the dog bones go into, there is a grub screw that tightens on a flat spot ot hold it

Gelo_USA 05-10-2008 11:13 PM

the screw is inside the cup?

numskull223 05-10-2008 11:32 PM

Check ur servos, I had one clicking on mine tonight, when I was adjusting the throttle, It was constantly clicking as long as I held the throttle down.
also, set the truck off the ground and crank it, run it, that way you can investigate the sound, while its running.

numskull223 05-10-2008 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: kutzie1793

heyy i have a volcano sv. i broke a front axle, so i pulled out the other one so its just rear wheel drive. is this bad for it?? what should i take out to make it run better as rear wheel drive? and also, my trucks pretty stock. where can i get an engine just big enough to pull a wheelie (used, very cheap[like under 30bucks])??
2.5r traxxas engine or 3.3

ugly duck 05-10-2008 11:38 PM

Is it under light braking or heavy braking? Have you checked the rotor for warp? Have you checked the brake "caliper" squareness to the driveline? (If the two bolts holding the brake pads are tightened down differently so that the pads are trying to twist the rotor on the transmission output shaft, you'll get a clicking)

There are things to check out, but ultimately you've got to be the one to find it.

Swamp3r 05-11-2008 12:01 AM

I`d do like numskull said. If your lacking performance maybe the throttle servo is slipping and would cause breaking problems too. You can take it out of the truck and take the top off the servo and look for stripped gears. I hope you find the problem but thats where I`d start.

Greenf41 05-11-2008 01:01 AM

Hey all found this thread about redcats, lot more posts than I thought.. wanted to post pics of my volcano and show it off, my friend and I have done two big block conversions now, and the truck works pretty well now with the metal spur gear. the next thing we need is a stronger diff, let me know if you have a way to upgrade the ring and pinion.. it pulls very nice wheelies, want to get a video up on youtube and try to get a top speed on this thing, whats the easiest way to do a top speed test? we were thinking of driving next to a real vehicle.. just seems to risky, is there a cheap radar gun?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...memid%3D415327

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...memid%3D415327

sorry if the links dont work im not familiar with the forum yet

Gelo_USA 05-11-2008 01:14 AM

nahh.. problem is not with the servo.... the calipers of the brake are square..... the problem happens when I brake fully or only slightly... when I rev it.. it clicks too..
i tried running it on my hand to hear the clicks where they are comming from but it only happens under load.. when the whells are off the ground it runs smoothly

Swamp3r 05-11-2008 01:42 AM

I`d still check inside the servo if under load it does it it could be a stripped gear. Not under load means the servo doesn`t have to work as hard hence no clicking. I`m just trying to help you, if you have ripped the truck apart then why not go the extra step and look at the servo.

ugly duck 05-11-2008 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Greenf41
Nice truck! What transmission are you running and what is this metal spur gear you speak of?