RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tornado Thread (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342050-redcat-racing-tornado-thread.html)

daveschutt 03-25-2007 08:40 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
I THOUGHT I WAS LOOSING MY MIND!!! AT LEAST SOMEONE ELSE SEEMS TO BE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE DIFFERENT SIZE BEARING CUT OUT ON THIER 47 TOOTH SPUR GEARS. ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE GEARS WITH THE SMALLER CUTOUT? IF NOT DOES REDCAT HAVE A PART # FOR THE NEW BEARING. THANKS


ehroof 03-25-2007 08:54 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
call redcat or go to their live support and find out about the bearing.

groovetrippin 03-26-2007 12:38 AM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
1 Attachment(s)
Whats up everyone,

Need some help.... Have a brand new out of the box Tornado BB and was following all the steps to break in the engine. Tested all the electronics with fresh batteries and the tested the engine.. Both worked like a champ. All of a sudden the controls just stopped working... Checked all the connections and made sure they were tight... Changed out the batt's for new ones and nothing... Let the car sit for about an hour and everything works again... Then 5 min's later the electronics just quit... This has happened now about 3 times. Any clue what's up? I am new so please break your answers down into plain english... Just kidding But please do.

-ash

LorDDarknesS 03-26-2007 02:07 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
ok i got it running without the power loss but while i was working on it i was putting pressure on the rubber boot that surrounds the low end needle and noticed air bubbles forming in the barrel of the carb. does this mean my carb is bad?

ehroof 03-26-2007 02:12 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: groovetrippin

Whats up everyone,

Need some help.... Have a brand new out of the box Tornado BB and was following all the steps to break in the engine. Tested all the electronics with fresh batteries and the tested the engine.. Both worked like a champ. All of a sudden the controls just stopped working... Checked all the connections and made sure they were tight... Changed out the batt's for new ones and nothing... Let the car sit for about an hour and everything works again... Then 5 min's later the electronics just quit... This has happened now about 3 times. Any clue what's up? I am new so please break your answers down into plain english... Just kidding But please do.

-ash

sounds like you got a bad radios setup, call redcat and as long as its within 30 days they should give you a new one. actually you should upgrade it, for less than $50 you can get a decent futaba setup.

ehroof 03-26-2007 02:13 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: LorDDarknesS

ok i got it running without the power loss but while i was working on it i was putting pressure on the rubber boot that surrounds the low end needle and noticed air bubbles forming in the barrel of the carb. does this mean my carb is bad?

what is the problem you are having? If its running good and not overheating, i wouldnt worry about it.

LorDDarknesS 03-26-2007 02:38 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
but it still stalls at low speed about 50% of time and then wont start the tuning range is good and it doesnt always happen but as long as i give it gas it runs like a raped ape with proper smoke and good heat

ehroof 03-26-2007 02:43 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
either its the glow plug or the low end needle is set too rich.

LorDDarknesS 03-26-2007 02:58 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
brand new glow plug and i have been working through the entire spectrum of low end....but i'll keep trying also is there any literature out there for headers on a .18 (more power needed lol)

kcrd2 03-26-2007 03:16 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ehroof

here you go, with a little patience you can do it or he can, if there is a problem, just come here and we will help.

1. upgrade your 2 speed clutch bell to: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR2&P=K + http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXDHM0&P=K + http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR9&P=K
you may need to widdle away a little of the upper plate post so the gears clear it

2.upgrade to this clutch spring traxxas 4146x : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Replaced these parts on the Tornado XP. Can you tell me what differences replacing these individual parts was supposed to make?? Just want to make sure that we are getting the right response with the replacements. Thanks.

ehroof 03-26-2007 05:36 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: kcrd2


Quote:

ORIGINAL: ehroof

here you go, with a little patience you can do it or he can, if there is a problem, just come here and we will help.

1. upgrade your 2 speed clutch bell to: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR2&P=K + http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXDHM0&P=K + http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR9&P=K
you may need to widdle away a little of the upper plate post so the gears clear it

2.upgrade to this clutch spring traxxas 4146x : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Replaced these parts on the Tornado XP. Can you tell me what differences replacing these individual parts was supposed to make?? Just want to make sure that we are getting the right response with the replacements. Thanks.
it will stop the spur gear from stripping in the first few tanks of fuel also the spring will last alot longer than the stock one, you may see some more top end since there is a tooth more on the new clutch bell you put in.

ehroof 03-26-2007 05:39 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: LorDDarknesS

brand new glow plug and i have been working through the entire spectrum of low end....but i'll keep trying also is there any literature out there for headers on a .18 (more power needed lol)
this header will fit nicely: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBTB5&P=ML

try retuning the whole engine, start with 3 out on the high end and flush with the collar on the low end. Maybe you have something clogging the low end needle? take it out and try to clean it out inside, be careful with it.

LorDDarknesS 03-26-2007 08:46 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
when i first got some return imput from u i reset to 2 3/4 main and flush low end is there a manual out there that is at least moderately helpfull for doing a carb? i've torn down auto and quad carbs and know enough that i would rather not go in blind if i dont have to

LorDDarknesS 03-26-2007 09:14 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
noticing some air in the feed line so i took off my tank and lines and pressure tested them but they are good to go is that gonna effect my performance and if so what may the cause be?

ehroof 03-26-2007 09:31 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
make sure there's not a hole in the fuel or pressure line, also make sure the tank cap is sealing good. if you want some nitro engine reading, check this out: http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm there are alot of good links and information there

LorDDarknesS 03-26-2007 10:13 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
thanx man thats good. you rule ehroof. i do have one more favor to ask though could you take a picture of your throtle linkage on your xp so i can get a good idea where to set mine it's working ok but i dont think its quite right (my rear retainer popped off..thankfully on cement not dirt)

LorDDarknesS 03-27-2007 03:50 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
ok so my carb is leaking from 2 places tried tightening everything and siliconing the seams but still leaking a little from the low end boot
if i wanted to replace it what is a good carb? i couldn't find one through redcat or rufaster.com

AllAboutFunHobbies 03-27-2007 06:35 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
Stock carb, bottom right.

[link=http://www.allaboutfunhobbies.com/tornadoxlparts6.htm]http://www.allaboutfunhobbies.com/tornadoxlparts6.htm[/link]

Also if you haven't tried it yet, you can take the carb aparts and pull out the O-rings and run to the local Hardware store and see if you can match them up, sounds like the O-rings are worn out.

LorDDarknesS 03-27-2007 10:48 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
can i paint my block or will it cause overheating?

AllAboutFunHobbies 03-27-2007 11:02 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
Don't paint block, the paint will trap the heat in. Besides the nitro fuel just peel the paint off. If you really want to change the color of your block you need to take it apart and anodize it. but you have to dip it in a solvent to get it clean first, it's a stinky messy process and takes some practice, but looks cool when you get a handle on it.

LorDDarknesS 03-27-2007 11:09 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
i have no idea how to anodize any literature out ther on how to?
another question, can i trim away some of the fuel to carb tubing to help get it outta the way?
also i just got an email from rufaster saying that the xp has been discontinued better order them parts while you can

LorDDarknesS 03-28-2007 12:06 AM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
just read a how to on anodizing..simple procedure if i can get some sulfuric acid real simple

AllAboutFunHobbies 03-28-2007 08:30 AM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
The hurricane XP has been discontinued from Redcat, but about ten other companies are building the car, there's no shortage of parts, unless your stuck buying from Redcat exclusivly and don't know that it's the same car as the Earthquake [sm=wink_smile.gif]. You can get sulfuric acid from a hardware store, it comes in a plastic container to put in a battery for a riding lawnmower. Anodizing is pretty simple but be sure to do it in an area where there is good ventalation, it stinks to high heaven [sm=52_52.gif]

TORNADO BB 03-28-2007 09:37 AM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: groovetrippin

Whats up everyone,

Need some help.... Have a brand new out of the box Tornado BB and was following all the steps to break in the engine. Tested all the electronics with fresh batteries and the tested the engine.. Both worked like a champ. All of a sudden the controls just stopped working... Checked all the connections and made sure they were tight... Changed out the batt's for new ones and nothing... Let the car sit for about an hour and everything works again... Then 5 min's later the electronics just quit... This has happened now about 3 times. Any clue what's up? I am new so please break your answers down into plain english... Just kidding But please do.

-ash
I had the same problem and all i did was tighten the crystle then it worked fine.:D

chris15 03-28-2007 10:37 AM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
 
i crashed my tornado xp and i broke the diff in like five pieces does anyone know where to get an aluminum diff case.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:46 AM.