RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tornado Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342050-redcat-racing-tornado-thread.html)

amf66 05-22-2008 05:53 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

My cousin's Tornado BBs shock towers keep bending a lot with the slightest crash. On Redcat's website they sell something called "Shockproof Planks" that look exactly like the stock shock towers. Are these really worth the money or do they bend like the stock towers?

el_tonto 05-22-2008 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: rcphanatik

hey, i just got another problem.[:@] this is the first day i ran the tornado bb through the dirt, and something is binding up. it isn't the center drivetrain, it is single wheels locking up on their own. anybody have any ideas? i think dirt may have gotten into the gearbox-but as i said before, i don't really want to take that apart.[:o]
You might have busted a bearing. I busted one in a clutch bell (non-redcat) and the car would roll freely for a few feet and then lock up. I must've taken the engine out three times before I worked that one out because when the motor was out the clutch bell could rotate quite freely for about most of a full rotation so my bad luck whenever I pulled it out and spun the bell back and forth it would spin enough to convince me it was spinning freely... duh

rcphanatik 05-23-2008 10:35 AM

Thanks, but some how the problem must have worked itself out!? Now i've busted the rear center dogbone, does anybody know the part number? or the dogbone length?
thanks

Hibityhupla! 05-23-2008 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: amf66

My cousin's Tornado BBs shock towers keep bending a lot with the slightest crash. On Redcat's website they sell something called "Shockproof Planks" that look exactly like the stock shock towers. Are these really worth the money or do they bend like the stock towers?
They will still bend. Unfortunately all aluminum will bend eventually. Plastic will take the shock and go back to the original shape but you have a chance of snapping it. I would suggest just buying a few plastic ones for the same price as the one aluminum one. Or maybe buy a sheet of carbon fiber and cut your own. Carbon fiber will hold up better then either of the others.

numskull223 05-23-2008 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: amf66

They will still bend. Unfortunately all aluminum will bend eventually. Plastic will take the shock and go back to the original shape but you have a chance of snapping it. I would suggest just buying a few plastic ones for the same price as the one aluminum one. Or maybe buy a sheet of carbon fiber and cut your own. Carbon fiber will hold up better then either of the others.

I actually made a shock tower for mine. I had a good grade of aluminum and made it thicker at the top, It doesn't flex or bend anything.

p3t3v3x53 05-23-2008 09:57 PM

my vx .18 engine has something wrong. it has good pinch and compression, never seen temps over 250, tuned perfect, hasnt even run a gallon, always after run oiled it, the whole works. so i took it out on the track one day and it started as normal like 2 pulls, i warmed it up, drove it down the strait away nice and easy, and it stalled and never ran for more that a couple pops again. if u prime it a lot, i mean a lot, it will start and run for like a second then die. all the fuel lines are good everything is clear, the carb is clean, tank seals good. it just wont run. but i did notice if you turn the crankshaft slowly you can here air leaking back towards the carb. is that normal? mabey the leak is bad enough that it is just pushing all the mixture its getting in back out, and the only reason it run when u prime it is because its getting so much extra it can run on it for a second or 2. any suggestions? im not going to be home until monday night so im not going to be replying obviosly until then.

harley75 05-26-2008 08:29 PM

On my tornado BB it seems to take long for it to shift into second gear the set screw is flush inside the car is only a week old

rcphanatik 05-26-2008 09:24 PM

Hey guys, i asked this earlier, but anyway. What length is the rear central driveshaft dogbone-there is a whole bunch of lengths in the manual, but i'm not sure which is which. Thanks.:D

numskull223 05-26-2008 09:25 PM

You can adjust it, screw it in to make it shift sooner. Make small turns, Cause a small adjustment makes a difference.

harley75 05-27-2008 04:11 AM

i thought turning it in make it shift later and out makes it sooner i mustt be think of a something else thanks will try

numskull223 05-27-2008 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: harley75

i thought turning it in make it shift later and out makes it sooner i mustt be think of a something else thanks will try
I don't know if there differenent, but thats how mine worked.

dpceee 05-28-2008 09:49 AM

Hi Everyone
I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem, I just bought Tornado EPX 4x4 buggy, after I charged battery, I plugged battery to wire in order to operate. I then turned on power switch on Tornado within 1 minute the Electronic Speed Controller Motor began to melt. I have contacted REDCAT but have not gotten a response back from them yet.

Hibityhupla! 05-28-2008 05:57 PM

It does. In means later, out means sooner. The allen screw puts pressure on a spring that holds the little metal slide in until you hit a certain rpm. Less pressure = earlier shift point. Is the engine getting high rpms? if not try to lean it out 1/4 turn.....might make a world of difference.

Hibityhupla! 05-28-2008 06:08 PM

Thanks, but some how the problem must have worked itself out!? Now i've busted the rear center dogbone, does anybody know the part number? or the dogbone length?
thanks
Not sure on part# but it doesn't sound like the problem is gone. To me it sounds like you hit high rpm and something in the rear end got bound which in turn would snap that dogbone. You really might want to take that rear end off and roll it around on the floor to see whats going on. Something has got to be binding.

I know I'll catch some crap for this but I took the rear end of mine apart and filled the diff with jb-weld. Made it a one-way rear end. I know it's not the right way to do it but it works.

Puretah 05-28-2008 06:17 PM

Hello, I'm currently considering purchasing the Tornado BB. I'm reading up in the forums that I should replace the clutch spring and the clutch bell right off the bat. I'm pretty new the the RC scene. My first was a Traxxas Revo about a year ago. My question is.....do i change the clutch bell and the pinion gears?? There seems to be one in the links you had listed that has the gears on it.....do i want this one or just the clutch bell itself here's the stock#s from Tower Hobbies for you to see what I'm speaking of: HPIC8603 and HPIC0825. I'm probably all wrong so you may have to straighten me out. Anyway, any info you have for me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Hibityhupla! 05-28-2008 06:53 PM

The first one you will need to get the gears too. 17t and 22t are the stock size. The other bell looks like it would work but you would lose tons of speed. If I'm not mistaken I think they fixed the bell problem though. As long as your bell is steel you should be fine. The aluminum one was the one with the problems. As far as a spring just use the traxxas ones. 4146 or 4146x. The 4146x has a higher stall rate. You can also use the mip springs for the traxxas cars too MIP 3072. They don't have the hooked ends on them though so you have to bend out a link on either end yourself.

For the bell(if you want to change it) the part 3's are-
86039 - bell
76982 - 22t gear
76977 - 17t gear
The gears are 12mm rs4 gears.

numskull223 05-29-2008 12:44 AM

It does. In means later, out means sooner. The allen screw puts pressure on a spring that holds the little metal slide in until you hit a certain rpm. Less pressure = earlier shift point. Is the engine getting high rpms? if not try to lean it out 1/4 turn.....might make a world of difference.
Well thats odd, I screwd mine all the way in and it changes sonner.

Surferbud2 05-29-2008 06:24 AM

Just received my Tornado BB and noticed that the left rear wheel as alot more toe-in than the right side (so much so that that it slightly rubs against the body). I looked, but didn't see any way to adjust it. Is it possible, it must be possible right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hibityhupla! 05-29-2008 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Surferbud2

Just received my Tornado BB and noticed that the left rear wheel as alot more toe-in than the right side (so much so that that it slightly rubs against the body). I looked, but didn't see any way to adjust it. Is it possible, it must be possible right? Thanks in advance for any help.
should be two ball head allen screws in the wheel hubs. The big allen screw is for tension the one behind that is the one you want. should be able to adjust the front one out until it's straight.

Hibityhupla! 05-29-2008 08:01 AM

or the rear one in....depends....try to make it match the side thats straight so you don't over loosen or over tighten it.

Puretah 05-29-2008 09:53 AM

Thanks a lot!! Hey, one more question (well a few more if you don't mind).........Would you recommend the S30 over the BB?? Do I have to make these changes the the S30 also, as far as the clutch bell and the clutch spring?? Are other brands (Kyosho, Ofna, Team Associated) really any better than Redcat? I'll tell you the truth my damn Revo that I had was super fast/fun but it was always broke! I guess that comes with the RC world but I was repairing something everytime I took it out. I just want to do it right this time and get something that.......yes, I can repair because that's really where most of the fun is, but also I want to have a good time driving it! For the price Redcat seems like a good deal and a quality RC buggy. Forums like this one also help people like me and make a huge difference come time to make a purchase. Thanks again for the help!!! Have a good one!!!

Ty

rcphanatik 05-29-2008 11:32 AM

Man, i love my redcat-but if you have heard that parts are hard to find- they are right. only a few websites sell them and you'll probably never find one at a hobbyshop. It is easiest just to but off of redcat or from [link=http://www.nitrodeals.com]Nitro Deals[/link]. but overall, i love the tornado. it truthfully has completely blown away my traxxas rustler. It is a great brand.

rcphanatik 05-29-2008 11:39 AM

sorry i haven't been on for a while. i think you must be right about the binding problem, but i did run it through two full tanks before the dogbone's head busted off. i just don't get it. do you think i should just get a new dogbone and stick it on? or would it still bind up?
Please help, it's been sitting for a while.;)

Surferbud2 05-29-2008 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Surferbud2

should be two ball head allen screws in the wheel hubs. The big allen screw is for tension the one behind that is the one you want. should be able to adjust the front one out until it's straight.
ahhh i see now what was behind the big allen screw! thx!

Hibityhupla! 05-29-2008 05:44 PM

sorry i haven't been on for a while. i think you must be right about the binding problem, but i did run it through two full tanks before the dogbone's head busted off. i just don't get it. do you think i should just get a new dogbone and stick it on? or would it still bind up?
Please help, it's been sitting for a while.;)
It could have just been a rock that got stuck in between the rim and hub. Thats all it take for it to come to a halt. Maybe just order 2......That way if you do still have the problem you can replace it right away when fixed rather then waiting a week for parts. It could have been weakened by the binding earlier and just been ready to break too.