RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tornado Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342050-redcat-racing-tornado-thread.html)

Hibityhupla! 07-18-2008 04:48 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ORIGINAL: numskull223

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: r/cracer1

hi my name is Alan and I'm looking for transmission gears, Have Redcat Tornado BB with 2 speed, transmission gears are stripped looking to upgrade. Does anyone know what I would need?
Yea me too. I put a traxxas 2.5R on my Tornado and my tranny gears are gone now. Do they have a upgrade from the plastic one?
Ehroof told me himoto is working on a metal 2 speed tranny. Not out yet. I said screw it and went to the single speed in all mine until they release the metal ones. Haven't changed a gear since.
Is the 1 speed just as fast. the 2,5R was too much power for the gears. Id like to have good low end and decent top end. I want my cake and to eat it too...LOL. So how good does the 1 speed do?
With that traxxas engine you should still be giong pretty quick. Mine with the os 18cv-rx was faster then my buddies bone stock with the 2 speed.

Hibityhupla! 07-21-2008 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: mcraig8377

i just received my redcat tornado epx does anybody know how long to charge it with charger that came with it the manuel gives no information on this subject would appreciate any help i can get thanks
I hate to say it but probably around 3-4hrs. Not really sure but thats the way my stock battery and charger were on my car.

AllAboutFunHobbies 07-21-2008 07:26 PM

Cam, bro that is ONE dirty arse Redcat man, LOL. Love the shock covers though. Good idea.

gokartingbob455 07-21-2008 09:52 PM

ive had worse. id post pics but their on my phone

numskull223 07-21-2008 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: r/cracer1

hi my name is Alan and I'm looking for transmission gears, Have Redcat Tornado BB with 2 speed, transmission gears are stripped looking to upgrade. Does anyone know what I would need?
Yea me too. I put a traxxas 2.5R on my Tornado and my tranny gears are gone now. Do they have a upgrade from the plastic one?
Ehroof told me himoto is working on a metal 2 speed tranny. Not out yet. I said screw it and went to the single speed in all mine until they release the metal ones. Haven't changed a gear since.
Is the 1 speed just as fast. the 2,5R was too much power for the gears. Id like to have good low end and decent top end. I want my cake and to eat it too...LOL. So how good does the 1 speed do?
With that traxxas engine you should still be giong pretty quick. Mine with the os 18cv-rx was faster then my buddies bone stock with the 2 speed.
Yea its sick, It spins all tire from a dead stop, I alread smoked my buddy's Rustler and Jato. Now I gotta get some more gears...Or sell it...

stagga 07-23-2008 02:22 PM

i just tried to order some new chrome wheels for the front and back (no tires) for the tornado off redcats site but it gave me some card error....any redcat reps have a suggestion?

mileslong 07-23-2008 03:16 PM

if its just a debit card it wont let you.

Cam_132 07-23-2008 03:23 PM

Ok well guys i found a singel speed with a steel spurgear! the bad thing is that it is 70$ but it will save you in spurgears!

here is the spur and clutch bell combo!

It comes with a 49/15 toolth spur/clutch bell

http://www.plaig.com.au/store/produc...209623b5b3c969

there is a nother one that is a 49/13 spur/clutch bell for the trucks with a derect drive

http://www.plaig.com.au/store/produc...209623b5b3c969

i am probaly going to get one and will review!

gokartingbob455 07-23-2008 11:41 PM

guys i completely forgot what tires people have said that work well on tornados for on road and off road sometimes. i need some. for the front and the back wheels

stagga 07-24-2008 06:45 AM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXDU13&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXDU14&P=K

i know these fit...i have them mounted but waitin for my old tires to wear down some more before i use them.
if you DO get them, use the foam inserts that come with it and be sure they are glued on good.

gokartingbob455 07-24-2008 11:52 AM

how come they both say front? i need a fronts and backs.

will just getting rear wheels for the front and the back screw anything up? if they dont i'll just get rear wheels for the front and the back and get the rear tires.

chevyderek72 07-24-2008 02:12 PM

no it says front/rear on one, and front on the other

stagga 07-24-2008 04:41 PM

read the notes from the tech department at the bottom. should clear up any questions.

gokartingbob455 07-24-2008 10:18 PM

oh i get it. thanks. i didnt catch that. lol

KFred 07-26-2008 03:42 PM

hi i was wondering how my engine is my car a two speed is there a switch or something to activate this what does it mean?

KFred 07-26-2008 03:45 PM

hi i was wondering how my engine is my car a two speed is there a switch or something to activate this what does it mean?

Hibityhupla! 07-27-2008 03:35 PM

The shifting is all done in the tranny. Your first gear is on a one-way bearing, the second gear has a little metal pin coming off the side. there is a little round metal piece that has 2 allen set-screws in it that does the shifting. It basically has a spring holding in a metal slide so at a certain rpm the little slide piece will come out and catch 2nd gear. If it's not shifting fist check the allen screw that goes straight in. That one should be tight. If that's held on there good you can adjust it on the second allen set-screw that goes in at an angle. Tighten it for later shifting, loosen for earlier shifts. Only takes a little bit. No switches, it's all done with centrifugal force.

gokartingbob455 07-27-2008 07:44 PM

im about to light my car on fire. how in the world do i get my clutch bell to align with my 2 speed transmission so my gears won't be eaten up?

stagga 07-28-2008 06:27 AM

^ good explanation about the shifting! I finally got to take the tornado out for a couple runs after changin the clutch bell (2speed), clutch spring and putting in a new 2 speed trans thingy loll. The car runs like a beast!! The top end is ridiculous compared to stock! Although i still think my car is stuck in 2nd gear, it doesn't have a good low end...not even enough to do decent donuts. Its either that OR the new bigger teeth made that much of a difference which i didn't think it would AND i just dont have enough road for it to shift into 2nd which means even more speed when it does!!:D ...buuut i think its just not startin out in 1st gear. anyway i didn't have much time to tinker n sort it out...i only ran 1 tank before i had to pack it in. quite a tease! .....oh and my front tires kept comin off lol. forgot to glue them. lost 1 in the trees and spent about 10mins lookin for it lol[:@]

and my gear mesh seems a little too tight. should the color be wearin off the gears (the purple and gold) after 1 tank? and they seem to make a wining sound when the car is moving

gokartingbob455 07-28-2008 11:43 AM

i dont think the paint should be coming off. but it might turn funky purple colors. i think thats bad if it happens.

chevyderek72 07-28-2008 03:11 PM

your gears might be too tight, thats why they might be whining, sometimes mine wines, but its always fine. and the color might be coming off cause its either cause its tight or your engine is really hot, or your clutch is rubbin a lot and gettin way hot.

Hibityhupla! 07-28-2008 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: gokartingbob455

im about to light my car on fire. how in the world do i get my clutch bell to align with my 2 speed transmission so my gears won't be eaten up?
Take off the second gear...rofl The only way I have had luck with the gears is by going 1 speed. The only time i run 2 speed i have 3 spare trannies sitting here so I can drive more then 2 tanks.

cirec 07-29-2008 03:28 AM

My buggy had tons of problems.It hasn't ran normally in months.When I press the throttle I have to wait a few seconds for the buggy to move and when it moves it's very slow.I have replaced the receiver and the servos and I still have radio problems.I think maybe my transmitter has a problem.Is there any way to check?

Hibityhupla! 07-29-2008 04:41 AM

ORIGINAL: cirec

My buggy had tons of problems.It hasn't ran normally in months.When I press the throttle I have to wait a few seconds for the buggy to move and when it moves it's very slow.I have replaced the receiver and the servos and I still have radio problems.I think maybe my transmitter has a problem.Is there any way to check?
Is it the servo with the delay problem or the engine? If it's the engine the tuning is off. Most likely the adjustment in the center of the rotor on the carb. If it's the servo make sure all your batteries are good.

bnick 07-29-2008 11:53 PM

I replaced all the electronics for about 65 dollars. I got a hitec agressor remote with one regular servo and a high torque servo now it worcks much better. The stock stuff sucks. Go to your lockal hobby shop and get new stuff you will thank yourself once you drive it for the fisrt time with the new electronics.