RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tornado Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342050-redcat-racing-tornado-thread.html)

hridge06 08-04-2009 04:50 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

I just got finished breaking in my Tornado BB and she idles fine. When I use the brakes, the car dies. I looks like the opening in the carb closes all the way when i use the brakes. I'm new to the nitro RC. Anysuggestions?

AllAboutFunHobbies 08-04-2009 05:02 PM

Turn the idle screw in till it stays running when ou hit the brakes.

Undetermined 09-02-2009 09:46 PM

Are these alright servos? I would like to get some high end ones, but honestly I am going to tear it up. I do jumps and flips, etc. Would like something decent and budget friendly.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUK84

neyou86 09-03-2009 08:25 AM

well its got a one year warranty so what do you have to lose

chevyderek72 09-03-2009 11:09 AM

I think the stock servo specs are close to the futaba 3003, which is only 2 oz higher than that servo. So i dont think it would be much of an upgrade, but it would work

k3nv 09-07-2009 12:17 AM

Have a Tornado BB and EPX, what's the biggest wheel you can put on the buggies? I want some more clearance for riding on long grassy areas.

chevyderek72 09-08-2009 10:35 PM

You can put bigger tires on, really as big as you want, but you will have to change the gear ratio.

LosParaZitos 09-21-2009 08:10 PM

Hi all! I'm new here i just ordered my first nitro gas RC car it the Tornado S30 i wanted to know can these Rc run in the snow and if they can is there anything special that i need to get it to run in snow ( i ask this cauz I'm from Quebec,Canada and winter is coming soon ) :P thanks in advance for you answers :D

neyou86 09-22-2009 08:08 PM

you need to waterproof the reciever and servo. you will have to watch out for rust. snow is bad for a nitro motor. it screws up the expanding and contracting process. but if it were me i would do it.

LosParaZitos 09-22-2009 08:37 PM

ok thank ! anyways its my first nitro gas RC i am bound to break it in some ways wether it because of the snow or because i crashed it in a concrete wall :D other thing is the Sh .18 engine the biggest engine you can fit on a 1/10 RC or can i fit in a .21 engine ?

neyou86 09-23-2009 06:25 PM

you can put a trx 3.3 in it but it is hard on it. its not made for that much power. and you have to make stuff fit

robster94gt 10-01-2009 06:36 PM

Hey all,
I picked up a used Tornado BB from a friend. It had a broken lower arm so I couldn't do anything with it until now. I took it out for a spin today, and found that the engine ran nicely without stalling. However, every time I went full throttle, it would speed up, and then die. I took it home and was fiddling with it, and found that with the wheels spinning freely, if I went to to full throttle it would speed up, and die. It couldn't maintain wide open throttle without stalling.

To make matters worse, I started hearing some unhealthy grinding, and then checked it find - yep you guessed it - the trans gear stripped. When I would run the engine before I heard a distinctive metallic rattling - obviously the clutch bell.

I read on the first page of this forum that the replacing the clutch will take care of the stripping gear problem. I was wondering, what is it about the stock setup that strips the gears?

Bad start for my re-entry into nitro

Cheers,
Rob

chevyderek72 10-01-2009 10:11 PM

Well if its stalling at high rpm, your hsn is lean, your motor isnt getting enough fuel and stalling. Check it you have a steel or aluminum clutch bell, if its aluminum they go out of round and will eat spurs. Steel will be magnetic. Is it the 2 speed tornado? Or single speed? If 2 speed which gear stripped?

chevyderek72 10-01-2009 10:13 PM

By the way, welcome to the forum :D

robster94gt 10-01-2009 11:13 PM

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

As for the stalling, I just wanted to make it clear that it only stalls on wide open throttle. I was driving it around at high throttle no problem. Is it safe to run the engine at high rpm with the motor just mounted in the car, not powering the wheels? I just wanted to test the motor.

It's a 2 speed tornado, I'm pretty sure it's the aluminum bell, it seems softish. The gear that is stripped is the one that would match up with the smaller pinion on the bell.

Thanks,
Rob

Mickstix 10-01-2009 11:47 PM

Yep, sure sounds like your highspeed needle (the screw up beside the air cleaner)is set too lean.. Give that puppy a 1/2 turncounter clockwise and see how she does! (After that, use 1/8 turns to fine tune) Running it that lean can and will run it too hot, and eventually damage it.. (Not to mention it hurts performance) Keep tuning the HS needle until it runs goodand puts out a nice stream of smoke at full throttle! Once ya have that set, make sure your low speed needle (one that's where the throttle linkage connects to) is set so ya JUMP off the line good! There's alot of ways to tune, but for the low speed, I use the "pinch" method.. Ya pinch the fuel line that enters the carb, and wait for it too cut off.. It shouldrev a little and cut off in a second or two.. If it takes too long to die, and revs "excessively" it's a little too rich. If itdoesnt rev up before dieing, it's too lean.. Remember, to adjust: clockwise = leaner; counter clockwise = richer.. Also, there are lots of videos on "youtube" that'll help ya tune these things!! Alishanmo is one of the best, imo, and has a bunch of cool vids you can check out about Redcat Racing RC's!! The one I linked to (click his name)is a good one!! ;)

robster94gt 10-02-2009 01:47 PM

Thanks for tuning tips. hopefully I didn't hurt it running wide open on the bench to check for stalling.
I guess at this point I need to figure out what replacement parts i need. I checked with my parts place and they have the spurs and steel bell. I read early on in this thread that a different clutch spring is recommended. When i idled mine you could here matallic dinning noise. Is a different spring still recommended with the steel bell, or is the stock one ok. I'll take my clutch bell out and see what it looks like inside.

chevyderek72 10-02-2009 07:21 PM

The springs breaking and the aluminum bells were on the older models, so if its newer it should be a good spring and a steel bell. Get something magnetic and see if the the magnet is attracted to the clutch bell. The dinging noise is metal clutch shoes. You might need to turn your idle down a bit so the clutch shoes arent trying to engage at idle.

Check and see how many teeth that spur is that you stripped. Ive got a 47 tooth here that i dont need cause i dont have a 2 speed car anymore. And there is a one way bearing in it, if its just the small bearing it wont work, but if it has the white bigger hex piece around it it will work.

Mickstix 10-02-2009 09:12 PM

Also, a couple spare dogbones are good to have on hand!! I lost one my first run after breakin, and when doing research afterward, found out that them falling out is pretty common unless you get the 87mm ones or put o-rings into the drive cups before the dogbones.. (Im talking about the bones/link from the diff out to each wheel) I got some 84mm (stock) and also some 87mm, incase the stock ones fall out again.. But I added an o-ring and they seem to be alot more secure now.. I also painted them flo orange before reinstalling them .. ;)  </p>

LosParaZitos 10-03-2009 08:39 AM

yep dog bones on tornado are really easy to loose i got mine it was missing a o- ring in one off them cup i just stuck a 3 mm piece or rubber fuel line in the cup and solved the dog bone issue for now :)

robster94gt 10-10-2009 07:48 PM

Hey thanks for the spur gear offer. It's the one I need. I'm just afraid that if I only replaced the spur, I'd end up with it being stripped pretty soon. I'm thinking of ordering the steel bell, as it seems that that should end the stripping problems.

Rob

chevyderek72 10-11-2009 05:48 PM

Well if you order the clutch bell just get a spur too, but if not and you wanna try a new gear let me know, pay postage and ill let you have it. It might have just been meshed wrong, cause if its mesh is off it sill eat gears.

robster94gt 10-28-2009 09:44 AM

Hi chevyderek72,

I think I'll take you up on the offer for the spur gear. I ordered one along with the clutch bell, but when I went to install it, I found out it's a different part. In the picture my original is the stripped one with the bearing still in place. The part they sent me looks like it takes a much bigger bearing, as the hex hole is much larger. I contacted the place I ordered it from, but it looks like they don't want to help by just shipping me the bearing. They charge my about 15 bucks shipping for each order.

Thanks again,
Rob

chevyderek72 10-28-2009 08:03 PM

Ok, redcat used to have a small bearing in the first gear (big one), looked almost round, then then put that inside a bigger metal hex. The one i have is the bigger one, i possibly might have the old smaller one way bearing one, but i just noticed you live in canada, how much is shipping from the us to canada? There are a few dealers in canada, and it might be cheaper to do that possibly.

Edit- I have an extra 2 speed tranny and an extra first gear spur. Both have the bigger one way, do you know how much shipping is to canada? If not ill give the post office a call tomorrow and see how much it is to ship, and if you wanna pay it ill send both gears out, so you'll have 3 spurs and one i send will have the hex piece/bearing you need.

robster94gt 10-28-2009 08:26 PM

Hey that's great - Thanks for your help
As far as shipping goes, I know that if you just send it surface, non insured etc... the rates aren't too bad. The cheapest rate would be fine, as I'm not in a hurry to get it - I'm leaving on vacation on Fri. My Postal code is K1R 5N3.

Thanks again,
Rob