RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342302-redcat-racing-tsunami-thread.html)

KeithjV 06-12-2008 12:38 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

It looks like the bell just cant take the pressure form the clutch shoes. I just change the stock clutch to the HPI 2 shoe clutch with the pilot nut. I just have to get a CB before I can test it out.

foust3838 06-15-2008 11:39 AM

were can i get bodys for my tsunami there are some on rufaster.com but i want to see some others not nessiserily redcat brand will any others fit

eminentguitar 06-15-2008 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a body for a duratraxx nitro evader and with a little trimming and new holes it fit fairly good. You will have to trim some off the exaust pipe side of your body just to make sure it doesnt get melted on the pipe.

KeithjV 06-15-2008 01:36 PM

ANy 1/10th truggy style body should fit with a little trimming like eminent said. The crowd pleaser body would probably fit well too.

gearguy70 06-15-2008 09:39 PM

hey guys, found these

<link removed>

I heard someone said the hpi savage clutch shoes fit the tsunami no prob, are these the ones they were talking about?

Edit: Linking to auctions in this manner is not allowed per RCU Policies.

KeithjV 06-15-2008 09:46 PM

I used two shoes from the standard 3 shoe clutch. Im not sure on the link you sent. It might work, it all depends on if the shoes line up with the pins.

eminentguitar 06-15-2008 10:42 PM

those might work man. Do you have a hobby shop you could get them at? That way you wont loose any money if they dont fit.

eminentguitar 06-15-2008 11:03 PM

I just took my tsunami out today and crashed into a gopher he didnt like that very much

gearguy70 06-16-2008 06:46 AM

poor gopher. Well I might check the lhs for them, the problem is, that hs' over here charge an arm and a leg for glow plug, if you know what I'm getting at.

eminentguitar 06-16-2008 01:04 PM

I know what you mean man. I bpught 300 dollars worth of parts off ebay for 120 thats how bad my lsh is. Usually any savage clutch shoe will work on the tsunami.

eminentguitar 06-17-2008 11:09 PM

here is my latest tsunami video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUtDxL8jCWY

eminentguitar 06-23-2008 12:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16-KxsGU2Mo Here is the bashing vid I made today I get some good air at the 40 second mark

Megabash 06-23-2008 12:26 AM

This is just a fun thing I found out, but it is possible to mount 8 shocks on the Tsunami UW. Just my 2cents. I bought a set of 8 GPM blue aluminum shocks for the TMAXX tonight and plan on mounting them. This should be fun!!:D:D. BTW check out this link I posted below, I did this mod on my TUW and it definitely helps out on the torque. Again just my .02$:D

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7642682/tm.htm

KeithjV 06-23-2008 08:46 AM

Great vids eminent.
How bout some pictures of that mod megabash?

Megabash 06-23-2008 08:27 PM

As soon as my 8 new shocks show up and I get my TUW all back together I will post some picks. Right now its in pieces to clean and fix the Volcano tranny I blew due to me not setting the gear mesh correctly....O.o. Time to install the steel spur gear when it gets here sometime later this week!! :D

KeithjV 06-23-2008 09:57 PM

Mega just be careful with that steel spur. If the mesh is not set right you are going to damage more then just the spur teeth. Thats the one nice thing about the plastic spur, its the weak link in the tranny and if you trash it, it doesnt hurt the wallet as much to replace it. Make sure you have a hardened clutch bell as well.

eminentguitar 06-24-2008 12:30 AM

Steel spur for the volcano??? Didnt know they made one. I love my plastic gears :) 5 gallons of fuel and still no problems although with the stock aluminum c/b I did strip a gear but thats all because of that aluminum crap.
Be careful megabash over shocking a light rc can be really bad on the rough stuff because its so rigid it will bounce before the shock can be transfured to the shocks. If I were you I would put lighter oil in those shocks if your going to run all 8. Just my thoughts on that.

firstrc 06-24-2008 07:08 AM

I dont have the UW but I do have the 8 shocks and It does take a LOT of tuning to get it just right.
That being said.... When you get it right... It is SOooo right! Spend the time to set it up correctly, test and adjust, test and adjust and when your done you will Love the way it handles any surface you throw at it.

eminentguitar 06-24-2008 10:40 PM

What oil are you running in yours?

Megabash 06-24-2008 10:43 PM

Oh ya I will definitely make sure the gear mesh is correct this time, especially when I install the steel spur gear. I have 3 other cars that are doing ok, just didn't pay attention this time on the TUW. As for the 8 shocks, its going to look cool thats for sure. I won't be using a shock oil thats heavier than 40wt thats for sure...probably something more along the lines of 20wt. The one thing I don't know is the pound rating for the springs that come with the shocks. My plans are to do 2 setups with the my TUW. One setting is a 2WD/4WD truck with 4 shocks and the other is a 4WD monster truck using 8 shocks. I will of course have to buy a set of monster truck tires, but this will give me a 2 for 1 RC vehicle. BTW I did buy the 16th c/b that comes stoch with the Volcano SV Pro.

Oh one more thing, the transmission for the Volcano looks like it has a slipper system built into it, am I right??

a4d2a0m 06-25-2008 07:39 PM

You are correct. The spur(large) gear has a "sticky" disc that increases friction between it and the aluminum(small) gear that is connected to the shaft, while the sping and tighness of the nut on the other side increase the pressure between the two gears stopping the spur from spinning.It's a perfect system.

That said finding the right spot for that nut is important. I find it usually comes set to tight causing the spur to strip very easily. Loosen the nut so that you can spin the spur while stopping the other gears from moving by holding the small aluminum one with your thumb or, a finger through the hole in the bottom. tighten the nut till you can't spin the spur any more while holding the gears.

Then test drive.....fine tune by listening for engine revs with no movement (similar to a slipping clutch) and do the "finger test" periodically. After all that you spur should last a long time and keep you happy for many bashes from here to come.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Adam

Kodiac400 06-29-2008 07:31 PM

Finally got my clutch part and installed them. My original clutch shoes were aluminum and my new one's look like a type of plastic. How do these shoe's hold up compared to the alum... ones? If they are going to wear down quick then I might keep a spare set on hand just in case.

Later
Marc

Megabash 06-29-2008 09:31 PM

Aluminum is better all the way around over plastic/nylon. <-My previous state is utterly false!!!!! After doing a little bit of research I have found out a few other things in regards to clutch shoe materials. In a broad scope of explanation, the heavier the clutch shoe material is, the clutch shoe will engage sooner in the rpm range. The lighter the clutch shoe material, the later the clutch will engage in the rpm range. In addition, aluminum will grip stronger and allow for less slippage over plastic/nylon. Also to further tweak the engagment of the clutch shoe, using a strong clutch shoe spring will cause the clutch shoe to engage later and the opposite is true for a weaker clutch shoe spring. Hope this helps!!!!:D

Syclone354 06-29-2008 09:40 PM

aluminum grabs harder, so youll have a higher stall speed with the teflon shoes. I think the teflon lasts longer and lets the engine rev higher before the truck takes off.

ballstr3 06-29-2008 10:01 PM

i was driving my car the other day and it was odd because it like delayed when i hit the throtle or tried to turn it, it got worse then jus basically stopped working and wouldnt respond to what i told it to do. does anyone know what might cause that?

thanks for your all your help