RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Engine problem - piston & sleeve (HELP) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5431552-engine-problem-piston-sleeve-help.html)

MiniCwik 02-17-2007 08:26 AM

Engine problem - piston & sleeve (HELP)

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to run my truck last night, although in the confines of my garage as it was so cold outside. Trying to start it, it fired up quickly and then died, and then tried a couple more times when all of a sudden my pull start won't retract? [X(]

So, I go ahead and remove & repair that with help and once reinstalled I notice how hard it is to pull on the pull start? Remove the pull start, and turning the engine by hand via the flywheel it is extremely hard to when approaching and returning from TDC!? [:o]

Taking the cooling head off gives a better view and I see that when the piston is coming up to TDC, it actually lifts the sleeve up out of the engine (see pic attached)!?

As it goes back from TDC it pulls the sleeve back into the engine, but this cannot be good!?

Has anyone encountered this or know what I need to do to resolve?

Do I have to buy a new piston and sleeve, or can I just get a sleeve, or is it time for a O.S. engine?

Thanks!

nitrospeed33 02-17-2007 12:15 PM

RE: Engine problem - piston & sleeve (HELP)

well, when i took my cooling head off a while ago and turned the flywheel, the same thing happened to me. the piston would just lift the sleeve out just like yours. i dont think thats a problem, at least i hope not. it hasn't changed anything about my engines performance since i found that out. the reason that happens is because every engine needs some pinch at the tdc. if not then your engine wont perform well. when you turn the flywheel and it gets to the tdc the piston hits that part of the sleeve where the pinch is, and it just lifts it up alittle. when the cooling head is on though, then it holds the piston down(obviously, lol). i dont think you should be worried about that. is this the 1st time you noticed it. cause im pretty sure that just means you have good pinch. sorry if i didn't explian well, lol.:D

123michael 02-17-2007 03:49 PM

get the o.s there mint and verry powerfull.
im not sure but i think you can get a tuned piston and sleave set ask your local model shop.

MiniCwik 02-17-2007 03:56 PM

No you did and so did Wade - AllAboutFun, and I had it running again a few min ago just fine.

One prob though is when I am trying to pull start it and it fires up, it seems that the pull string goes limp (for a lack of better terms) until I stall it or cut it off, then the tension is restored to the pull string.

Is this normal, and could this cause a problem? Should I replace the pull start?

Thanks

}{unter 02-21-2007 02:17 PM

the sleeve is soppost to try and come out like that, it is ok. the head holds the sleeve down when the motor is running. How hard is it to turn the motor over ?? if u can turn the motor over it should be fine. the motor will heat up and seal with the piston when u do a break in thats the point of it. As long as you can turn it over it will be fine it just means u have a good seal on the motor.

}{unter

MiniCwik 02-21-2007 02:27 PM

Thanks Hunter!