RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   good deal... rebuild update/questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/7109183-good-deal-rebuild-update-questions.html)

TThib 02-20-2008 06:59 PM

good deal... rebuild update/questions

1 Attachment(s)
I stopped at one of my LHS' today to grab a battery for my Roto Start and a spare plug. I was just chatting with one of the guys behind the counter about Redcat, he was saying how he doesn't see many around here and could only think of one of his friends who has one. While he was saying that, his friend came through the door. I told him I had a Hurricane, he said "stay here, I'll be right back". He came back with a bag of parts he ordered but never installed. I gave him $50 and my cell # because he may be interested in unloading his old Hurricane.

This is what I got... Looking now, there's $123.07 worth of parts according to Redcat's site. I guess that was worth it, but there's more.

He went to his parents house and picked up the Hurricane and called me. He said he'd take $80.00 and to meet him so I could see it and decide. Missing a few things like wing and support, air filter, and needs a thing or 2 here and there. Decent compression, but I may smell a rebuild with the P6 sleeve mod coming on. I think I got me a project car to play with and learn how to tinker with without hosing up my New Hurricane! Got some pretty sweet rims with road tires on it too... that could come in handy.

That was my day... Think $130.00 total was well worth it?

ehroof 02-20-2008 07:09 PM

RE: I think I got a good deal...

looks like you made a good deal bro

bluecaka69 02-20-2008 07:11 PM

Nice find Enjoy:D

kuppler 02-20-2008 08:10 PM

nice find...... looks good....

need2drag 02-20-2008 10:05 PM

Dang, heck of a deal.

TThib 02-20-2008 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And then... I got carried away! :D

Decided everything is coming apart, inspected, cleaned, replaced if necessary, and put back together slowly.

Watch what i do with that scratched up head...

jumpanddrop 02-20-2008 11:35 PM

order a new head or just paint it with some high temp paint:)

TThib 02-22-2008 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok... It's official. This was the best thing I could have ever done! I'm slowly rebuilding this thing, having a blast, and learning at the same time.

I've disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, inspected and reassembled the rear end. (flushed shocks, refilled with 40wt - flushed and refilled rear diff with 2000)

Here's pictures of my progress...

ehroof 02-22-2008 10:32 PM

excellent bro, looks great

firebird78 02-22-2008 10:34 PM

what a deal...savin money and being one with ur redcat..good luck..looks good..have fun learnin

twomanytoys 02-22-2008 11:28 PM

RE: I think I got a good deal... rebuild update

You can just sand the top of the head and polish it to a gloss finish. Sounds like you got a great deal. Now you got one you can bash with and one to race with.

TThib 02-22-2008 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

You can just sand the top of the head and polish it to a gloss finish. Sounds like you got a great deal. Now you got one you can bash with and one to race with.
That is exactly my thought on both subjects! I have the polishing wheels already... (did my paintball marker frame a year or so ago) Saving the motor work for last I think. Undecided if I should go with the clermont mod or not.

TThib 02-24-2008 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update (I know i should have saved the engine for last... but i just couldn't)

Ok, So I've been dying to tear into this engine and check it out. I've never done one before so this was a learning experience that actually went very well. I disassembled almost everything including the sleeve and piston for cleaning / inspection. I didn't pull the crankshaft because when I pulled the clutch bell I noticed one of the clutch shoes had a tiny crack in it and I didn't want to disturb it for now. Plus I was really unshure if this was necessary. The rod look very good and the bearings didn't have a bit of play at all. Anyway, I cleaned/checked everything (including the carb and needles) and sealed up the engine with "ultra copper" as explained in an article I had bookmarked. Oh, and I did a real quick sand and polish on the head surface...

There seems to be quite a bit of compression, so I may hold off on the mod/rebuild till I work the kinks out.

Questions:
- Any info on the clutch shoes? I wasn't clear on how to actually disassemble them, though I didn't want to disturb that one shoe.
- Other options / suggestions besides stock shoes/springs?

Yes, I do plan on getting a "motorsaver filter" after I get her running and I need a new exhaust gasket, the old one was trashed.

webbl19 02-24-2008 03:14 AM

if it is cracked you should probably get a new one, you sure it wasnt just a scratch? the head looks much better. maybe see if you can find some blue caliper or high heat paint that will somewhat match and paint the top of it.

TThib 02-24-2008 03:20 AM

Sorry Web, was adding more when you responded. Seems to be a cracked, I do plan on grabbing a new set... As far as the head goes, I may get an aftermarket one if this project goes well. Can't see it in the picture, but the top row of fin is bent a bit and is starting to develop a stress crack. (probably from bending them back into place. Good for now.

webbl19 02-24-2008 03:25 AM

i havent taken a 1/8th apart so i dont know how the clutch is on there, if it is like the one i have it has 2 shoes not 3, there are just little springs you pop out of the groove and they just pull right off the posts. also your hobby store should have a gasket for the exhaust.

dont know anything else about them i will get my 1/8 razor on thursday.

TThib 02-24-2008 10:35 AM

Actually, on the Hurricane there are 3. This picture isn't mine, I was too lazy to pull the clutch bell off this morning.

http://image2-5.rcuniverse.com/e1/ma...nderhood32.jpg

I'm going to try to tear up the front end and diff today (It needs some help). Anyone know if the balls on the upper and lowerarms are replaceable? My parts breakout doesn't list p/n's for them. I saw some balls on the redcat site but the names don't do them justice.

[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=81209]Steering ball joint?[/link]
[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=81207]Universal joint ball head[/link]

I'd love to replace all the suspension balls (minus the shock balls, those are fine) but I've very confused.

webbl19 02-24-2008 10:40 AM

yeah those are the type clutch shoes i have. but i only have 2. there will be 3 little springs you just pull out off the shaft and pop it out of the groove. dont know if that is the correct way of doing it but thats how i get it done.

nitrozach54 02-24-2008 11:23 AM

RE: good deal... rebuild update/questions

you got a great deal mate
good luck on the build

Redharris 02-24-2008 08:51 PM

Excellent Deal! Good job on the disassembly/cleaning. Looks like she"s in good hands.
Looks like the old owner was runnin on Pavement an flipped a few times, huh?
Street tires n Grind marks on the cooling head? Sigh.....what a sad thing to do to a great off road racer like the Hurricane....

TThib 02-25-2008 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a little side-tracked tonight and worked on the pipe for a little bit. Not a big deal, I'm waiting for assorted parts anyway.

Which side of the pipe looks better? ;) Amazing what a scotch-bright pad, some 000 steel wool, red and white on the polishing wheel, and some mothers to finish her off will do! About 10-15 mins is all it took for 1 half.

kuppler 02-25-2008 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: TThib

I got a little side-tracked tonight and worked on the pipe for a little bit. Not a big deal, I'm waiting for assorted parts anyway.

Which side of the pipe looks better? ;) Amazing what a scotch-bright pad, some 000 steel wool, red and white on the polishing wheel, and some mothers to finish her off will do! About 10-15 mins is all it took for 1 half.
Wow... I think the left side KICKS *****... hehehe J/K....i mean the Right side.... hehehehehe

TThib 02-28-2008 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whew... That front end was a mess! (Very dirty!) One of the steering hubs was twisted a bit, and the dog-bones were a bit out of shape. Nothing a 4lb copper hammer and a nice big bench vice couldn't "adjust" a bit. I have the replacement parts but would like to save them for breakage. Shocks got new drink of 40wt, and front diff got that grey-goo flushed out and some new 5000wt.

It's getting there...

When this project is done, I think I'll start on my new 'cane... I'm learning there's some piece of mind involved knowing everything is clean, lubed, and loctited! The diff and shock oil changed don't hurt either! I'd highly suggest everyone who hasn't yanked apart their Redcat before to start wrenching. I have the benefit of having a fully assembled buggy for reference as to where everything goes, but you can take pics/video before you take her apart for reference, or post up here and I'm sure someone can help.

Had a spare set of rims/tires laying around... Ehoof will be proud of these sneakers!

Grabbed a brake setup for a kyosho from my LHS that looks like a direct fit so I could get started on the center diff and brakes while I wait for assorted parts from Clermont that I just ordered to come in. (wing mount / wing /rotostart back plate / clutch shoes / exhaust gasket)

firebird78 02-28-2008 12:22 AM

going together really nice...someones been shopping supra sales...lol....I got the same wheel tire combo just waiting for a new body and wing...have proline wabash wrapped in proline badlands on it now..im impressed with the wheels I bought like urs

kuppler 02-28-2008 12:24 AM

that thing is LOOKING SWEEEEEET:D:D:D:D